Objectivism Online Forum

Is O'ism taught at the graduate or Ph.D. level?

Rate this topic

Reading the Wikipedia entry for Rand, it says that Objectivism isn't being taught at the Graduate or Phd level of any major university's Philosophy program. Can someone list a graduate or Phd level course currently teaching Objectivism as a comtemporary theory?

Please don't list undergraduate courses because many undergraduate course are taught more for historical background rather than current relevance. For example, undergrad courses often include Freud or Marx's for historical context instead of contemporary theory relevance.

Thanks for your input

Reading the Wikipedia entry for Rand, it says that Objectivism isn't being taught at the Graduate or Phd level of any major university's Philosophy program. Can someone list a graduate or Phd level course currently teaching Objectivism as a comtemporary theory?

I think with some isolated exceptions the Wikipedia entry is true. The exception is that through the Anthem Foundation there have been some graduate seminars in Objectivism. At the University of Texas, Austin for example Harry Binswanger gave a graduate seminar in epistemology recently. But I would be happy to be proven wrong. At the moment, it is my understanding that the only Graduate teaching of Objectivism is at the OAC (the web page is not entirely updated but I thought an announcement had been made that the program is now active). Of course, ARI's OAC is not an accredited program.

Please don't list undergraduate courses because many undergraduate course are taught more for historical background rather than current relevance. For example, undergrad courses often include Freud or Marx's for historical context instead of contemporary theory relevance.

Thanks for your input

It isn't a major university, but the Objectivist Academic Center currently offers both undergraduate and graduate level courses in Objectivist though.

Here's a link:

Objectivist Academic Center