Objectivism Online Forum

I Stumble Into Town...

Rate this topic

After a disheartening experience sparring with the Christo-Fascists who dominate over at the ChronWatch Forum I think I may have found a place where I'll fit in. I first read "Anthem" in about 10th Grade (circa 1972), but it had far less impact on me at that time than "1984" and "Animal Farm" and I must confess to having been a McGovernite (after all I was 15!!!). In college my views began to change; a Gary Allen book prevented me from making my first Presidential vote for Carter in '76... by 1980 I was a member of my University's "Reagan Youth Staff" (I still have the button). A year or so after college, circa 1983, I happend to see "The Fountainhead" on the late, late show and was hooked... within a year or so I had read all the Rand I could get my hands on and have been a devotee ever since. I do not, however, consider her any more "infallable" than I do the Pope; as a free, sovereign individual I and I alone can decide what of Randian philosophy (or any other) I accept or reject. For the last Quarter Century I have supported the Republicans as the lesser of two evils; during the 2004 Election Season I was de-facto campaign manager for Doug Cloud, who ran a shoestring race against entrenched Democrat incumbent Norm Dicks in the 6th Congressional District of Washington State. But I have now reached the point where I must break with the Republicans as they have become every bit as Statist as the Demos... I'm trying to get Doug to announce as a Liberarian candidate for US Senate against Democrat Maria Cantwell for the 2006 election (a fat-cat "Chamber of Commerce Republican" already has the GOP nomination virtually in the bag). But I may not be here by then... I love Louisiana and am seriously considering moving to New Orleans to start over in a city starting over.

I'm 48, single, never married, no kids, no relationship at the moment but certainly still looking for Miss Right (any Jeffersonian-Randian individualist girls out there who like Sinatra, the Monkees and the Sex Pistols??? :D ) I'm a Historian by training, with some minor published work, a Courier by profession currently and am approaching my third year of survival after cancer surgery. No longer drink for health reasons (Hep C+), but I smoke whatever I damn well feel like! :o In addition to Rand I am partial to F. Scott Fitzgerald (paticularly his short stories), Frank Lloyd Wright, architecture in general and Pre-Columbian American culture.

I have no illusions about being a Roarke or a Galt, but I do my damnedest not to be a Toohey! :D

Thanks for the safe-haven!

Jess

[email protected]

Edited by Anarchitect

Welcome to Objectivism Online. May I ask what your screen name means?

Thankx for the welcome... the nick really does not mean anything... just a poor attempt to be clever... mixing Anarchy and Architect... or "An Architect", which in my mind's eye I am... as Louis Sullivan wrote: "What is an architect? I think I am an architect..." ;)

Edited by Anarchitect

Welcome to OO.

May I ask why you want to move to Louisiana?

As someone who has lived his entire life in LA I can tell you I'm probably getting out as soon as I graduate. If you were consdiering it because of the "Opportunity Zone" talk I'd take a wait and see attitude. I wouldn't want to move and get BS from Congress for years on top of having to put up with the corrupt and incompetent politicians we seem to prefer to have in office.

Welcome, Jess.

Generally Ayn Rand's philosophy is called Objectivism, not Randian Philosophy, although it's not like people won't know what you mean if you use the latter term.

Being an affiliate of the medical field, that mention of Hep C sure jumped out at me. Ick. Hope it's not making you too sick. B)

Welcome to the boards Jess, we are pleased to have you around.

I like this bit of your introduction:

"I have no illusions about being a Roarke or a Galt, but I do my damnedest not to be a Toohey! "

That sums up a good attitude well enough I think.

May I ask why you want to move to Louisiana?

Hey Regis!

What town you from (I know a lot of the state pretty well).

As to your question my reasons for wanting to relocate in New Orleans are as follows:

!. Friendly people

2. A Laissez-Faire attitude toward life

3. Great food

4. Low costs

5. Pretty girls

I have no illusions about the Federal promises, but despite Statist interference I think the disaster will create lots of opportunities. Corrupt, incompetant officials are everywhere, I guess I prefer good, "honest" Huey P. Long corruption to the phony Christo-Fascist variety of the Bush Admin or the "shining city" nonsense of the typical Big City Demos. My observatiion, based on eight extended visits in the past 20 years, is that there is more personal freedom still extant in Louisiana than almost anywhere else in the country (except the redneck backwoods areas) and that the culture is very tolerant of all viewpoints and walks of life.... unlike Oh! So Politically Correct Seattle where even stating an opinion contrary to Liberal dogma will get you shouted down and virtually run-out-of-town-on-a-rail (and god help you if you try to smoke)! I like to think of myself in a way as one of Rand's "strikers"... I work at meaningless jobs despite my education and abilities because I choose not to make the sacrifice of self nessessary to achieve "success" on other's terms. I see myself getting a little place somwhere near the St. Roch Market (say between Elisian Fields, Franklin, St. Claude and Claibourne), working part-time, perhaps as a cabbie, doing my freelance architecture if I can find a client, hopefully writing and perhaps doing a bit of speculating in real estate if I can gather a nest egg. Last, but far from least, I have always been more successful with hot Southern Girls than with their cold, bitchy Northern sisters!!! :)

Edited by Anarchitect