Objectivism Online Forum

Problems in Britain - Am Shocked!

Rate this topic

Zirjin

I wish this was a satire, I really wish it was. But unfortunately, from what I can tell, it is true. I even checked to make sure it wasn't April the 1st yet. :pimp:

We locked you up in jail for 25 years and you were innocent all along? That’ll be £80,000 please

Normally I am a positive person, seeing that article however, I am shocked & angry beyond belief and am wondering at the moment if I am in a dream/nightmare but when I pinch myself, I know I am awake.

I hope that insane stuff is abolished soon, and doesn't spread out of Britains borders to Australia/USA or anywhere else for that matter.

Not surprising in a country that will now lock up anyone unfortunate enough to be attacked and has the temerity to defend oneself. Just recently, they convicted a young man of man slaughter because, when he opened his door to find himself faced with several thugs -- with weapons -- he grabbed an antique sword and defended himself, killing one of the assailants. This kind of thing is becoming more common in Britain as criminals become more brazen every day. They know that if someone fights back, the victim is the one most likely to spend time in gaol. Add to that the fact that, since Britain has effectively banned gun ownership, the citizens are more likely to face gun toting criminals.

This is all a stunning reversal in the purpose of law. I wonder how long the people will put up with it?

:)

Oldsalt, I was angry at that story also, however some new information has come out since the first article. If you go here http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashi...09/NEWS7ZM.html it details how the man with the sword was a drug dealer. The incident may have been a drug deal resulting in a death and not a break in. Of course the man was arrested for murder before the police knew this but if you bring up this incident without all of the facts you might lose an argument.

Yeah, I saw that. When I wrote about the guy, all the facts were not known. I used it because it was the latest example I'd read, but it is by no means the only one. My point stands. Do a bit a googling of crimes in Britain over the last five years and you will find many other cases that have no ambiguity about them. (One example that comes to mind right off is the case of a farmer who shot an intruder. I followed his case after reading that he had been charged because I was so shocked. He was guilty of nothing more than defending himself and his property. He is now sitting in jail.)

Crimes involving guns have increased significantly since Britain passed their draconian gun laws. The old adage "if you ban guns, only criminals will have guns," has proven true.

Yes, the farmer's name is Tony Martin. I agree with you completely, I just wanted to make sure that you knew the rest of the sword story since it just now came out.

On a personal note, I used to know a girl online who lived in Britain. She was a tiny (at least she claimed to be, but this is the internet) five feet something tall lesbian who had a neo-Nazi move in next to her and her girlfriend. My advice to her after an assault by this guy was to get a weapon for personal defense. The rest of the people on the board attacked me for believing that she had the right to defend herself from a Nazi. Their stance was that fighting back would make matters worse. The police refused to help (not enough man power), and she refused to even get a baseball bat for defense out of fear of being arrested. She had a friend who was arrested after using a baseball bat against a home invader. The debate over my comment of a person's right to self-defense went on after the girl stopped posting. After three years of daily posting she stopped soon after receiving a death threat from the Nazi.

I am very glad that I live in a right to carry state in America where people are not arrested for defending themselves from killers.