Objectivism Online Forum

Favorite Linux Programs....

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

As some of you may or may not know, I am planning to release my own Linux distro in the later half of 2010. I would like the Linux users out there to tell me what some of their favorite Linux programs are and why they they like them so much.

Ok, this information might not be totally relevant 5 years from now, but this will help me be more aware of the more popular programs so I can track their progress.

Also, which is your favorite Desktop Environment?

Some of my favorites include:

Quanta

Openoffice

FreeCiv

FoulEggs

QtDesigner

KIconEdit

Gedit

XMMS

My favorite Desktop Environment is KDE.

Favorite window manager is Fluxbox (used to be blackbox). It's quite minimalist. No icons, just a right click menu to launch applications and a task bar to show what's running. Customizable enough to make it very minimal or very functional (in my opinion). I even use BB4win (blackbox for Windows) on my windows PCs at home and at work.

Typical internet apps like Firefox, Thunderbird (or Sylpheed which I like better but couldn't get unicode to work), and gaim.

Gimp for graphics.

Screen for use when accessing remotely. It allows multiple terminals in one connection and you can detach from a session and it'll keep doing what it was doing and then you can reattach later. A very nice utility. Check it out if you haven't heard of it.

Favorite window manager is Fluxbox (used to be blackbox). It's quite minimalist. No icons, just a right click menu to launch applications and a task bar to show what's running. Customizable enough to make it very minimal or very functional (in my opinion). I even use BB4win (blackbox for Windows) on my windows PCs at home and at work.

Typical internet apps like Firefox, Thunderbird (or Sylpheed which I like better but couldn't get unicode to work), and gaim.

Gimp for graphics.

Screen for use when accessing remotely. It allows multiple terminals in one connection and you can detach from a session and it'll keep doing what it was doing and then you can reattach later. A very nice utility. Check it out if you haven't heard of it.

I am not a fan of minimilist environments myself, but I do see why they might appeal to some. You might pleased to know that I am considering including Fluxbox as one of the environments, at least in the 'lite' version.

I also quite like Gimp, and of course Firefox. Im not a big fan of email clients like Thunderbird, but if I was to bother I would go with Thunderbird.

I will take your advice an try Screen, it sounds interesting.

Thanks for your input.

bash is a must for the shell.

gcc

emacs

I've been pleased with just about anything with GNU in its name, so you may want to check into their software.

I would definetely have to agree with bash for the shell.

*shrug*.... I have never been all the big a fan of Emacs, although I do see why alot of people would like it, and I realise it would be crazy to not include Emacs in a Linux Distro.

I suppose it is similar for GCC (although Fedora Core 3 did not include it). I use GCC from the command line for pretty much all of my C/c++ programs I compile in Linux (its so easy...).

KDE is my favourite enviroment. GCC is a good program, as is KOffice and emacs. A good game is Konquest.

Im starting to see why Gnome is liked so much though, the inclusion of the Configuration Editor is a nice feature of Gnome that i wish KDE had. What with Openoffice though, I see little point in KOffice, though it is still one of the best Linux office packages.

How could I forget Konquest! Its a good fun, simple, undemanding game (undemanding on the hardware) that actually requires a little thought.

I would definetely have to agree with bash for the shell.

*shrug*.... I have never been all the big a fan of Emacs, although I do see why alot of people would like it, and I realise it would be crazy to not include Emacs in a Linux Distro.

It couldn't hurt to include multiple alternatives for various tools. Most Linux distros include both vi and emacs (as well as several others) and they allow you to customize which programs you want during installation.

It couldn't hurt to include multiple alternatives for various tools. Most Linux distros include both vi and emacs (as well as several others) and they allow you to customize which programs you want during installation.

Good idea, and this is what I will most likely do. I have been known to use Vim myself in the past, I no longer do, but that does not mean someone else might not want it. And its not like all these packages are all that big.

• 4 weeks later...
Xfce is my windowmanager of choice

Sylpheed Claws is my emailsoftware of choice

Firefox (Browser)

Galeon (Browser)

Konqueror (Browser, filemanager)

KBear (FTP)

Pan (News)

aMSN (MSN)

is software that I would like to have included

What are the strengthss and weaknesses of Xcfe? And this Galeon browser you speak of ? Which distros do they shine in in particular if any, and are they are a major part of any distro that you know of?

Are you planning any kind of package managment?

I always hated binary packages. Gentoo saved linux for me. Something like portage would be nice. Or, I'd port portage myself. That would mean I'd need Python on your OS. Though, if I had to pick one, I'd prefer PERL.

What about server software? Apache, ssh, vnc, samba and network tools like nmap, and firewall configuration utilities (I use Shorewall).

Are you planning any kind of package managment?

I always hated binary packages. Gentoo saved linux for me. Something like portage would be nice. Or, I'd port portage myself. That would mean I'd need Python on your OS. Though, if I had to pick one, I'd prefer PERL.

What about server software? Apache, ssh, vnc, samba and network tools like nmap, and firewall configuration utilities (I use Shorewall).

I will definetely include a decent package manager as I too hate dealing with binary packages when it can be avoided. As to which one, well I do not know yet, but I will use the best I can find/code.

And I will definetely include at least the option of installing server software, this is after all Linux I am talking about :lol: . And firewall config tools as well.

Edited by Prometheus98876

As some of you may or may not know, I am planning to release my own Linux distro in the later half of 2010. I would like the Linux users out there to tell me what some of their favorite Linux programs are and why they they like them so much.

Ok, this information might not be totally relevant 5 years from now, but this will help me be more aware of the more popular programs so I can track their progress.

Also, which is your favorite Desktop Environment?

Some of my favorites include:

Quanta

Openoffice

FreeCiv

FoulEggs

QtDesigner

KIconEdit

Gedit

XMMS

My favorite Desktop Environment is KDE.

KDE

Emacs

GCC

Konquest

OpenOffice

AbiWord

KDE

Emacs

GCC

Konquest

OpenOffice

AbiWord

You have already posted at least a fair chunk of these in another post in this thread by the way :thumbsup: . Did you intend to provide a more comprehensive list, or did you forget you have posted here already. I am just curious...

Edited by Prometheus98876

You have already posted at least a fair chunk of these in another post in this thread by the way :lol: . Did you intend to provide a more comprehensive list, or did you forget you have posted here already. I am just curious...

I forgot i'd already posted, thouh this serves the purpose of making a more comprehensive list too.

Oh and I forgot QT.

I forgot i'd already posted, thouh this serves the purpose of making a more comprehensive list too.

Oh and I forgot QT.

Oh yeah, I forgot Qt as well. I am quite interested in this language from I know of it so far. Strictly speaking, Qt Designer is the program that you like so much. Qt is the language, this thread is about programs. :D