Objectivism Online Forum

Axiomatic Magazine -- Issue 1 Is Available...

Rate this topic

DPW

I'm very excited to announce that the first issue of Axiomatic, an online magazine for Objectivists, is available. Here's our first month's line up:

The Value of Risk by Don Watkins.

Unlike a man's attitude toward some particular activity, such as golf, a man's attitude toward risk is reflected in all his choices and actions. It therefore reveals something much more fundamental about his soul.

Einstein's Contributions to Quantum Theory — Part 1 of 3 by Travis Norsen.

Understanding Einstein's objections to the orthodox quantum theory — and the details of his attempts to construct a reasonable alternative — is a necessary first step toward untangling the quantum mess and constructing a fully rational theory.

Last Gasp for The God of The Gaps by Greg Perkins.

Why does religion continue to thrive in this scientific, technological age? Because, despite mankind's technological progress, we have been morally stagnant since the rise of Christianity. So long as people

reject the possibility of a rational ethics, an irrational metaphysics and epistemology will continue to dominate.

The Axiomatic Interview with Andrew Bernstein.

Andrew Bernstein, author of The Capitalist Manifesto, sits down with Axiomatic to discuss his new book, the role of epistemology in grasping the case for capitalism, hurricane Katrina, and his future writing projects.

Bonus: The Nature of Broken Units by Don Watkins.

If a concept doesn't mean its definition, but its referents, including all the characteristics of its referents, then how can we define man as a rational animal when some men lack a conceptual faculty? And how

can we make general claims, such as, "Man sees color," when some men can't see at all?

Subscribe by October 31 and get twelve issues for only $65 -- that's $55 off the issue-price. You can also purchase six issues for only $40, or try out our first issue for a mere $10.

Thanks for your interest!

Best,

Don Watkins

http://www.axiomaticmagazine.com

Thanks for your interest!

Best,

Don Watkins

http://www.axiomaticmagazine.com

This looks like it might be of some interest. I will be looking into it more, and I might even submit some stuff to it, I shall consider it anyway.

I shall be keeping my eye on it, and once I find out more about it (ie get to read more of the articles) I will tell you what I think.

I wish you luck.

Thanks!

Quite welcome, I respect your effort to present interesting and key issues in what appears to be a clear enough manner, while still seeming reasonably accurate. It inspires me to put my philosophy articles online at some stage.

UPDATE: Thanks to input from readers, I have made hardcopies of Axiomatic available at: http://www.lulu.com/egoist. The price is $10, and I have therefore reduced online prices according. Online subscription rates are now 12 issues for $40, 6 for $20, and 1 for $5. Thanks to everyone for your input!

Hey Don, I've got an Axiomatic question. Do you have any plans to start a forum for subscribers? I'd like to discuss some of the articles, but the only problem is that if I start a thread here or on the other big Objectivism forum most of the content of the articles would eventually be given away to any non-subscriber who follows the thread. Thanks.

Mike,

That is something I would like to do, but I need to look into the technical aspects first. Also, I have to make sure it won't be a nightmare to manage. If it's restricted to subscribers, I don't think that should be too much of a problem. In any case, expect something...but not in the very near future.

Will there be a few free articles online with each issue?

If so are you going to soon have an RSS feed?

Right now I'm planning on one free article per issue. I don't think that justifies an RSS feed given the other priorities.

Will there be a few free articles online with each issue?

If so are you going to soon have an RSS feed?

All an RSS feed is an XML file written in a special directory, so it would be easy to set up, but the site only gets updated once a month (for now).

So check in at least once a month, and you'll know if it's been updated.