Objectivism Online Forum

Rudy Guliani

Rate this topic

I oppose all religion, but there are of course degrees of good and bad within the different religious views. In my estimation, this "moderate Islam is the solution" campaign of Pipes is a huge mistake because it is evading the true problem, and thereby prescribing a solution(s) which will not work.

You might have a point to make here. Nevertheless, please provide examples of what you think Daniel Pipes means in practice when he says that moderate Islam is the solution.

Right now it looks as though Rudy is running 3rd in Florida. I'm afraid that if he doesn't either win or make a very strong 2nd place showing, he's finished. Whoever came up with his big state strategy should be fired.

Not only should this guy (or these guys) be fired, their career in coordinating a campaign should be over. According to the polling trends from realclearpolitics dot com, Rudy Giuliani was in contention if not a shoe-in for the states of New Hampshire, Nevada, Michigan, Florida and California as of one year ago. Somebody really screwed up royally by skipping the first several states.

I agree with Moose, his campaign might as well be over.

Edited by DarkWaters

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As little as 2 months ago, he was leading the national-level polls. There's no reason why someone with that status should have gone this many primaries without placing in the top 3. As a result of his poor campaign, I will be left without someone to vote for. Whatever his shortcomings (and there are many), I can't envision myself voting for any other candidates. I might actually vote for Obama, if it means keeping Huckabee out of the White House. But unless that's the match-up, I'll probably be staying home.

Edited by Moose

How, then, do you propose to rid the world of Islam?

I don't.

You might have a point to make here. Nevertheless, please provide examples of what you think Daniel Pipes means in practice when he says that moderate Islam is the solution.

This is likely where the views of you and I would diverge, in regards to what foreign policies America should have. I'm sure you have seen some of my earlier posts on this subject, I think I sparred with you in another thread for a bit. Nevertheless, I shall post a few things about what Pipes feels Western policy should be.

Pipes wrote the following article about moderate Islam, and outlines what he means in practice I think. He talks about a study which attributes the rise in radical Islam to the Saudi Arabian government. This is completely wrong and cannot be farther from the truth. The rise in radical Islam is provoked by its own texts, the Koran and the hadiths. Because he fails to see this, he believes that some sort of coalition with more moderate Islamic governments, such as those that exist in Southeast Asia and the Balkans, would furthur the cause against radical Islam. Such an attempt to "de-emphasize the Middle East" (as the article says) would never work. Islam was founded by Arab people on the Arabian peninsula; Mecca and Medina are the holy cities of the religion. He seems to call for the Western world to try to "give priority to locating, meeting with, funding, forwarding, empowering, and celebrating" these more moderate Islamic states. In my opinion this is terrible policy.

Pipes wrote the following article about moderate Islam, and outlines what he means in practice I think. He talks about a study which attributes the rise in radical Islam to the Saudi Arabian government. This is completely wrong and cannot be farther from the truth. The rise in radical Islam is provoked by its own texts, the Koran and the hadiths. Because he fails to see this, he believes that some sort of coalition with more moderate Islamic governments, such as those that exist in Southeast Asia and the Balkans, would furthur the cause against radical Islam. Such an attempt to "de-emphasize the Middle East" (as the article says) would never work. Islam was founded by Arab people on the Arabian peninsula; Mecca and Medina are the holy cities of the religion. He seems to call for the Western world to try to "give priority to locating, meeting with, funding, forwarding, empowering, and celebrating" these more moderate Islamic states. In my opinion this is terrible policy.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but what is the correct policy in your view?

Harry Binswanger endorses Rudy Giuliani

According to the January 17th post on HBL, Objectivist intellectual Harry Binswanger has endorsed Rudy Giuliani. I am not an HBL subscriber, but I am curious as to his reasons.

Unfortunately, Giuliani's campaign seems to be grinding to a halt.

Edited by DarkWaters

Yes, unfortunately Rudy is now stuck in a distant 3rd place in Florida. The national media have already declared his candidacy dead. Not that the punditocracy can't be wrong, but in this case I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy is gone before the end of next week.

Guiliani ran a garbage campaign. I've never seen a more ineffectual "strategy" then his decision to focus on Florida. In a few hours the official results will come in and Rudy's back to security consulting. This guy is trash, a typical lifetime "career" politician that one would expect to find in Soviet Russia. But I suppose these empty suit career public servants are now becoming the norm here in America; just look at McCain.

[Rudy Giuliani] is [...] a typical lifetime "career" politician that one would expect to find in Soviet Russia.

This is just hyperbole that overlooks his entrepreneurial ventures. See here and here. One of which you have already acknowledged.

Edited by DarkWaters

This is just hyperbole that overlooks his entrepreneurial ventures. See here and here. One of which you have already acknowledged.

I always admire entrepreneurs, but Guiliani seems to be an entrepreneur who is successful because of the fact he was a career politician. Both of the links you provide show the founding dates to be after Guiliani was mayor. Also the article states: "many of the managing partners and executives of Giuliani Partners are former New York City officials, counsels, emergency services leaders, etc. from Giuliani's time as mayor." From the Mafia to Milken & Boesky to 9/11, Guiliani has always capitalized on the pressing issues of the moment, taking whatever side is popular in order to vault himself to the next rung of public leadership while staging huge dramatic press conferences. As a side note, I do like his sense of humor, I think he's hilarious.

I always admire entrepreneurs, but Guiliani seems to be an entrepreneur who is successful because of the fact he was a career politician.

Fair enough. But we keep saying government should limit itself to protecting individual rights. In practice government often fails at this essential task. Few places failed more egregiously than New York City. Giuliani changed that by establishing a novel system of law enforcement. Career politician or not, he comes closer to doing what government should be doing.

From the Mafia to Milken & Boesky to 9/11, Guiliani has always capitalized on the pressing issues of the moment, taking whatever side is popular in order to vault himself to the next rung of public leadership while staging huge dramatic press conferences.

I deplore his earlier career. Hwever, I don't think he used 9/11 to increase hsi popularity. He handled that attack, as far as he could, well enough. He's entitled to point out his successes and even to be proud of them.

Harry Binswanger endorses Rudy Giuliani

According to the January 17th post on HBL, Objectivist intellectual Harry Binswanger has endorsed Rudy Giuliani. I am not an HBL subscriber, but I am curious as to his reasons.

Unfortunately, Giuliani's campaign seems to be grinding to a halt.

Wow, Harry really knows how to pick em! :D We should hold of and see who he picks to win the Superbowl on Sunday!

Seriously, if McCain gets the nomination I bet Guiliana is going to get the Vice-President nomination.

With Giuliani's campaign ended, this is probably not important. Still, for anyone still interested, this NYTime/MS-NBC article paints a picture of Giuliani as a man who was willing to wield the power of his office ruthlessly. It appears consistent with his notoriety of being the first to misuse the RICO racketeering statutes to prosecute businessmen.

Seriously, if McCain gets the nomination I bet Guiliana is going to get the Vice-President nomination.

I think McCain might ask Hucklberry in a pathetic attempt to throw a bone to a segment of the religious-conservative wing of the party. Now that would be a ticket, McCain and Huckster. :D

[Giuliani] has always capitalized on the pressing issues of the moment, taking whatever side is popular in order to vault himself to the next rung of public leadership while staging huge dramatic press conferences.

This is certainly possible as Rudy has demonstrated to be willing to compromise on his values to court Republican base votes. As someone who grew up in a New Jersey suburb of New York City, I was under the impression that the Giuliani administrations cleanup of New York City was quite the achievement. I wish that an Atlanta mayor would do the same.

Guiliani ran a garbage campaign. I've never seen a more ineffectual "strategy" then his decision to focus on Florida. In a few hours the official results will come in and Rudy's back to security consulting. This guy is trash, a typical lifetime "career" politician that one would expect to find in Soviet Russia. But I suppose these empty suit career public servants are now becoming the norm here in America; just look at McCain.

This guy is not trash. he is just not a good politician. he does not suck asses. he is not slick and smooth like a Toohey, he is streight forward and ruthless like a Roark. America is not ready for a John Galt. America votes for the Tooheys. if only more Americans were Objectivists,giuliani would still be front-running

Edit: I think now that my signiture is most appropriate

Edited by Marty McFly