Objectivism Online Forum

Fantasy Favourite

Rate this topic

DragonMaci

Favourite Fantasy Author  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What fantasy author from this list do you prefer?

• Terry Goodkind
    • David and Leigh Eddings
    • Terry Pratchett
    • Robert Jorden
    • David Gemmel
    • Katherine Kerr
    • Terry Brooks
    • JRR Tolkien

Prometheus: If you're going on a book hunt, you might also check out Wright's "The Golden Age" trilogy. It's far-future science fiction, also worth reading if you're into that kind of thing. As for me, I'm going to go chew on Erikson's Deadhouse Gates for a while.

I have looked into the "Golden Age" trilogy"on the internet, and from what I can tell it seems quite good. It seems like it might be me some further ideas as to what future technologies I could implement in my Promtheus Scorned idea, the characters are apparently well portrayed and it does have abit of [philosophical] depth, all of which make me want to give this a try. Apparently the author is himself an Objectivist, at least according to some of those sites I was looking at.

Thanks for the tip, I will try and track this series down. :kiss:

Looking at my bookshelf, it seems I've read 5 books by Pratchett: The Light Fantastic, The Colour of Magic, Sourcery, Mort and Reaper Man.

I may check out one of the stand-alones. It sounds like I've already read enough of the "Death" books to get a sense of what Pratchett is doing there.

I've already read Good Omens and enjoyed it.

Science of Discworld is one I would suggest (as well as perhaps Science of Discworld II, although I have not yet read this one). It is a book where the wizards as create the Roundworld project, a complex creation of Ponder Stibbons which is very much like the universe we know. It is divided into alternating Discworld chapters and the three authors (including Pratchett of course) talking about science, and some of the problems it faces such as quantum mechanics.

It is an interesting way to revise ones science, while having a good laugh at the Discworld chapters parody of reality. And it is the one of the novels where the wizards really shine, especially Rincewind in the relatively small role he plays in the book.

I have looked into the "Golden Age" trilogy"on the internet, and from what I can tell it seems quite good. It seems like it might be me some further ideas as to what future technologies I could implement in my Promtheus Scorned idea, the characters are apparently well portrayed and it does have abit of [philosophical] depth, all of which make me want to give this a try. Apparently the author is himself an Objectivist, at least according to some of those sites I was looking at.

I read a later interview in which the author indicated that he'd found some kind of religion. Apparently he had some kind of direct spiritual experience that led him to conclude that a divine being exists, although he refused to discuss the details. We'll see what kind of impact that has on his later works.

Still, the stuff he's written to date stands as-is, and it's pretty good.

I was wondering if anyone here has read Chris Bunch? I didn't really like his dragon series myself. The dragons were just too animalistic for my liking.

I read his trilogy The Seer King, The Demon King and The Warrior King. I thought they were solid but not exceptional. They were well-crafted and accomplished what they set out to do. I felt like I got my money's worth but nobody is going to classify them as great or timeless literature.

I read a later interview in which the author indicated that he'd found some kind of religion. Apparently he had some kind of direct spiritual experience that led him to conclude that a divine being exists, although he refused to discuss the details. We'll see what kind of impact that has on his later works.

Still, the stuff he's written to date stands as-is, and it's pretty good.

Oh, I did not find any mention of this on the sites I looked at. This is a little less encouraging....

However, I will read his earlier works and at least give his 'post-religous' stuff a try. It might still have some merit.

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed Donaldson's Mordant's Need books (and, to an extent, his science fiction series), but I didn't like the Tomas Covenant stuff at all. His short stories can be interesting, but he has what I consider a weird obsession with battered women.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tolien's the only one I've read in the list.

Wow, it is surprising to see this old thread of mine revived after so long. It's now over 6 months since the last comment before this one and more than a year since I started this thread. I never expected it to stay alive so long. But then again it is in a sub-forum that hasn't got many threads.

But if I had a chance I'd redo this thread to include a lot more authors, mainly Miss Rand and Christopher Paolini. I'd even add JK Rowling. I might even add others but I'd have to research them first to check they actually belong to the fantasy genre rather than just being fantasy in the sense that they are fictional.

And it is good to see Terry Goodkind still on top! In fact he is 10% ahead of even Tolkien, which is doing quite well. Thanks a lot to every one that has voted and thanks to every one that has posted!

• 1 year later...

I voted for Terry Goodkind, but I should qualify my vote with a disclosure that "Wizard's First Rule" is the only fantasy novel I have ever read. I loved it however and intend to pick up "Stone of Tears" next.

While I have not read any other fantasy, I recently picked up a copy of "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" with the intention of reading the series, but haven't read them yet.

Stephen King considers his "The Dark Tower" novels to be fantasy, but I consider them to be a sci-fi/fantasy/horror crossover series.