Objectivism Online Forum

VIP Healthcare

Rate this topic

Apprentice

I had not heard of VIP health care before. If there is another thread about this somewhere, can someone point me to it? Thank you :)

This is a rather interesting article (assuming you can get past the author's apparent dislike of people with money...)

Had to laugh at the AMA's take on it based on their quote on page 4, "The American Medical Association says there's nothing wrong with VIP health care if it's not 'promoted as a promise for more or better diagnostic and therapeutic services,' according to an ethical policy instituted last summer."

I would be interested to know what "ethical policy" that is and how it came about. My first reaction is that the service would inherently provide more and better diagnostic and therapeutic services simply because you actually get to see a doctor when you need one. While we're not at the waiting periods of Canada yet, my parents' descriptions of trying to get my father in to see a gastro doctor and neurosurgeon are rather alarming. Simply getting people in to see doctors sounds like a vast improvement to me!

It will also be interesting to see if this could bring about new scientific discoveries in medicine through customer demand. Maybe it will return some dignity to the medical profession too. (I'm hoping.)

Any thoughts on where this might take healthcare? It seems much closer to the sort of service I'd like to see and would gladly participate in if we had the money for it.

I'm still somewhat confused as to the relationship between the VIP care and the patients' other insurance companies. You pay the membership fee, but you're still working with regular insurance companies to pay your actual care bills? I would see insurance campanies becoming a huge problem in this scheme if they refuse to pay for care at VIP clinics. It would be nice to see insurance companies emerging that are geared toward this type of health care.