Objectivism Online Forum

Oh The Games We Play...

Rate this topic

Havent picked up Day of Defeat: Source yet, but I am a big fan of Half-Life Mods. My favorites are...

Natural Selection

Day of Defeat

Counter Strike

Counter Strike: Condition Zero

Non-Mod

Battlefield 2

StarWars Galaxies

I play WoW, and most recently, City of Heroes.

WoW is more in-depth than City of Heroes. CoH is simply get mission, kill bad guys. The variation is, get mission, team up with other heroes, kill bad guys. Still, I enjoy running around the city stopping the robberies, rapes, assaults, etc. Talk about a city under siege...

I do not play any of those games myself. I am quite into games like:

Age of Empires I and II,

Warcraft

(I tend to like quite a few of the older games, partially becuase they run faster on my slightly subpar system), SimCity 3000

Morrowind

Edited by Prometheus98876

I play Everquest II myself. One of my characters is an Objectivist Paladin, my alt is a Nietzchean Shadowknight :ninja: Both are dark elves. I like the prospect that one eschews the dark heritage, the other embraces it.

It's also fun shouting "feed my will to power" everytime I defeat someone in a duel. I guess you really couldn't use the archaic term "Evil" since much of the ways I carry myself is more like Gail Wynard than Ellsworth Toohey. I thought about picking a really evil character and making a communist, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

I love roleplaying my characters, and depending on my mood, I am either the justice-dealing paragon of virtue, or I am the power-seeking scion of darkness.

Other games of mine include: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Dawn Of War, Final Fantasy 7, and Rise of Nations

I haven't played any video games in two months, but some of the games I have played:

Baldur's Gate

Xenogears

FFVII

FFX (The BEST FF!!!)

Rainbow Six 3

SimCity 3000

Age of Empires

Kessen

Medal of Honor

Command and Conquer

Ghost Recon

For the most part military-style FPSs, RPGs, and war-strategy and simulation games capture my interest.

I played the demo of that and it was hideously laggy. There was around a 5 second delay after every thing I did before it went into effect. Please tell me the actual game isn't like that.

on a large scale, no it isn't. Usually I only get those kind of delays when my LAN is operating at peak hours. When my outgoing network is busy, then I get the lag. That's not a horrible thing because usually I am studying or occupied otherwise during those hours.

But alas, it is a huge computer sink. You really need a rig in order to play it well. But let me tell ya, those graphics will astound you if you happen to own a computer capable of playing it on higher graphics settings. And I have yet to find a character designer on any game as intricate, yet easy to use as EQ2's

problem is that it isn't nearly as popular as WoW, so you miss out on some of the social aspects. But then again, more people play EQ2 than they did EQ1, so for me, I'm socializing more than ever :thumbsup:

My favourite games right now are:

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Any Sonic game

Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst

Phantasy Star Online Episode 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution

DooM 2

Dune 2000

Currently, I am waiting for the release of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion... But I'll probably have to buy a Xbox 360, because as of right now I don't think my computer could handle it.

problem is that it isn't nearly as popular as WoW, so you miss out on some of the social aspects. But then again, more people play EQ2 than they did EQ1, so for me, I'm socializing more than ever :confused:

You should try FFXI, there's always tons of people around. Everyone I know who's left FFXI for WoW or EQ has returned within a month saying it's way better.

That goes for everybody! If you wanna check out FFXI, let me know and I'll send you a pass to get on my server!

I considered FFXI. From what I've heard, it is the ultimate grind game. I know this is probably a gross simplification of the game. so I took it with a grain of salt.

I know EQ2 had that happen to them as well. In the early months of WoW, people left it by the thousands. Overtime, they slowly trickled back in.

Of course, this is not "let's bag Blizzard and WoW" time. They are a brilliant company, who is to be admired for always delivering a superb product. Ever heard of Starcraft: Ghost? They had the completed product, sitting there waiting to be manufactured, and they canned it and started over from stratch, because they wanted to tap the powe of the next-gen console. If that isn't dedication to one's values, I don't know what is.

I considered FFXI. From what I've heard, it is the ultimate grind game. I know this is probably a gross simplification of the game. so I took it with a grain of salt.

Well, it is the ultimate grind game, but it's also the ultimate a lot of other things game, lol. SE has done a really great job at creating a complete in-game universe.

Of course, this is not "let's bag Blizzard and WoW" time. They are a brilliant company, who is to be admired for always delivering a superb product.

I wholeheartedly agree that Blizzard is a brilliant company. They do not crank out many games, but the games they do put out are top notch! So far, they only have three franchises; Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. Each game and expansion from each franchise has done exceptionally well in the market, and has been well received by gamers and critics alike. Diablo 2 (with the LOD expansion) remains one of my favorite all time games.

While I never got into Warcraft or Starcraft (I'm not much of an RTS'er), I do recognize based on limited play that they are high quality games. And I was definitely wowed by WOW. That was my first venture in the MMORPG genre, when I really hadn't thought I would be interested in those games.

As to other companies, another all time favorite for me is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I curse 3DO for what they did to the HOMM line in HOMM 4. UBISoft is working on a 5 now, which I'm curious to see. I'm hoping they will go back to the games "roots" a little bit.