Objectivism Online Forum

Serenity

Rate this topic

I was wondering what people thought about this fantanstic movie.

I am reluctant to talk about its philosophical implicatations for most of what is overly philosophical is revealed at the end of movie and is the pay-off of all the action and tension built, so I don't want to wreck it for anyone who has not seen the movie.

Personality, I thought it was a very well put together drama and action movie, with plenty of value just in and of its art.

The dialogue is masterfully done, with depth, irony, and wit. The characters are smart and not archtypal nothings plastered in a visually interesting universe. Instead they are interesting characters that make the story interesting despite relatively (to Star Wars and other modern sci-fi blockbusters) special affects. Also the heroes are motivated not by altruism, but by personal and logical motives, which goes a long way to spending disbelieve to allow the movie to work its charms.

Again I don't want to wreck a wonderful movie, but when Kaylee says, "Screw this, I am going to live!" you know you are philosophically home.

Anyone else have any critiques, praise, or just plain love for this movie?

Again I don't want to wreck a wonderful movie, but when Kaylee says, "Screw this, I am going to live!" you know you are philosophically home.

My favorite line of what has now become one of my favorite movies! :-)

Me too! That was indeed the best line in the movie and this was the best movie of this year (surpassing Batman Begins in my book) and the previous and the one before that...! I saw this movie no less than 3 times this weekend! After seeing it the first time, I went back to the cinema hall the next day looking for other movies to watch, but everything other movie playing there seemed so unattractive in comparison to what I had seen the previous night that I could not bring myself to watch anything but this movie again! Every one of the 3 times I watched it was as much fun as the previous time (though the breathtaking suspense was gone the 2nd and 3rd time), and I came back refreshed each time! I am still thinking back on the movie's funniest lines and laughing my head off. I highly recommend this one to anyone who wants a genuinely good time. This is art at its very best (philosophically sound and entertaining).

Me too! That was indeed the best line in the movie and this was the best movie of this year (surpassing Batman Begins in my book) ....

I thought so as well. Serenity is an important film. The integration between plot, themes, and styles was brilliant. The message also was heartbreakingly noble. I almost cried.

Every core character (save maybe Jayne) was guided by their chosen values, including the villain. I loved the characters from the series, and I liked the movie, but felt gutted by some plot developments that seemed a little melodromatic. I won't say what they were to avoid spoiling, but it was still a great movie.

I saw it opening night, with all the clapping and hooting from the cult following. It was fun to be in the middle of all of the excitement, but I am going to wait a week and see it again with my family so I can catch everything I missed.

I have heard that you do not need to have watched the 'Firefly' series to catch up with the movie but would it make for a fuller 'experience' of J. Whedon's vision, and a good grounding of the characters' pasts, to check it out beforehand? A friend has the series box-set and has offered to loan it to me but it'll be a tight squeeze to fit watching it in before I see the movie when it comes out in the UK.

I have heard that you do not need to have watched the 'Firefly' series to catch up with the movie but would it make for a fuller 'experience' of J. Whedon's vision, and a good grounding of the characters' pasts, to check it out beforehand? A friend has the series box-set and has offered to loan it to me but it'll be a tight squeeze to fit watching it in before I see the movie when it comes out in the UK.

It definitely makes the experience better to have seen the tv series first. Even if you can only watch a few episodes, it would help. It isn't essential, but enhances the experience greatly.

What's going on Kitty Hawk? I think I have been talking with you for about 9 years here and on the Cap-Mag forum. Anyway, I really want to to see this but need a babysitter! I think I have seen all the TV shows on SCI-FI network. I'll check back when I've seen it.

What's going on Kitty Hawk? I think I have been talking with you for about 9 years here and on the Cap-Mag forum. Anyway, I really want to to see this but need a babysitter! I think I have seen all the TV shows on SCI-FI network. I'll check back when I've seen it.

The CapMag forum is gone with the wind, isn't it? As for Serenity, I hope enough people go to see it to allow a sequel or two to be made. Sci-Fi network hasn't yet shown all the Firefly episodes, I think there are still 4 or 5 more to show, all excellent. Happy viewing.

As for Serenity, I hope enough people go to see it to allow a sequel or two to be made. Sci-Fi network hasn't yet shown all the Firefly episodes, I think there are still 4 or 5 more to show, all excellent. Happy viewing.

I'm hoping Sci-Fi will pick it back up as a new series. I understand that was one of Whedon's purposes for going ahead with a full length film, to attract network interest again.

There's something I noticed that had a lot to with the Objectivist Meta-ethics.

SPOILER ALERT:

[Maybe you need more space? :)]

The PAX gas that the Alliance used on Miranda robbed people of the choice to continue living (as humans, of course). Most people decided to stop living altogether, while a very small percentage of the population were reduced to a sub-human existence as Reavers.

It has been quite some time (since the first Matrix) that I have watched a "new" sci-fi concept film and really enjoyed it from an entertainment, philosophical, and artistic level. I haven't seen the TV series but have them Q'ed in NETflix to be watched ASAP. I assume there will be either a return of the series as mentioned above, or a sequal film. Since my understanding is that things are going well for the film. I went to an almost packed house...All in all, I hope they continue the story in one form or another. It was lots of fun.

It has been quite some time (since the first Matrix) that I have watched a "new" sci-fi concept film and really enjoyed it from an entertainment, philosophical, and artistic level. I haven't seen the TV series but have them Q'ed in NETflix to be watched ASAP. I assume there will be either a return of the series as mentioned above, or a sequal film. Since my understanding is that things are going well for the film. I went to an almost packed house...All in all, I hope they continue the story in one form or another. It was lots of fun.

I'm no expert on box office success, but I don't think Serenity is doing too well at the box office. This Friday only took in half of last Friday. The film cost $39 million to make, and has so far made back about $14 million or so. But they are hoping to do very well on DVD, which may make up for a so-so box office take.

I personally would prefer to see the tv series renewed, rather than more movies.

Correction: Serenity has taken in $17,594,000, through Sunday, Oct. 9th.

I saw it yesterday with my wife and we both liked it. She had not watched any of the shows and liked it quite a bit. It was better than I thought it would be to be honest, and I went in expecting to like it. :D

Its not doing fantastic at the theaters but its not bombing either. It could be one of those things where its builds or it could do good on DVD. Many really good movies never do very good at the box office though.

FYI, you can watch the 1st 9 minutes for free on the internet. So if you are on the fence and want to test the waters so to speak watch it there. I guarantee you will will want to go to the theater to watch it. I also recommend to see it in a good theater with good sound. I watched it at a brand new Regal Cinemas with the state of the art Digital everything and it was very impressive.

I'm no expert on box office success, but I don't think Serenity is doing too well at the box office. This Friday only took in half of last Friday. The film cost $39 million to make, and has so far made back about $14 million or so. But they are hoping to do very well on DVD, which may make up for a so-so box office take.

I personally would prefer to see the tv series renewed, rather than more movies.

Correction: Serenity has taken in $17,594,000, through Sunday, Oct. 9th.

I may be incorrect about its success. I was just amazed at how full the theatre was in Seattle. But for a 39 million movie, 17 mil isn't the best, I concur. We'll see....maybe it will pick up steam. The DVD could be the kicker for its success. I'm sure that the Tv show is picking up steam in sales too. Interestingly, most of the reviews I've read were good in the papers, so perhaps, it will just take some time to get the word out, since the marketing hasn't been full force...given the budget.

I went and saw Serenity last night, and I loved it as well.

...but felt gutted by some plot developments that seemed a little melodromatic.
I agree FeatherFall...there were a few lines/scenes that were a bit much, but they were probably necessary to give the insight necessary to those who have not watched the TV series & don't have the background and character development that the series offers. While I could have done without those elements...I've seen the series. :)

Made all the better because we were so set up to expect the typical reaction to that kind of scene. Fantastic.

Just saw it, and I loved it, especially the villian's line at the end. :)
I think that was one of my favorite moments in the movie. You could almost miss it if you're not paying attention...it's like it's already true before he's even off the screen.

All together, highly recommended. :thumbsup:

--my two cents--

Fantastic movie! I agree with a lot of the other opinions posted and its too bad that the movie hasn't done better in theaters. I have to share my favorite quote which went something like this:

"Do you want to take command of this ship?!?!"

"Yes!!!"

"Well... you can't."

That cracked me up :thumbsup:

I especially agree with JMeganSnow, the villain's quote at the end was a fantastic way to end the show!

Thank you, Dikaiosyne, for starting this topic; because of it I went and saw the movie last night, and loved it. Yes, especially Kaylee's "Screw this" line.

The end scene between Mal and the villain reminded me of the Javert/Jean Valjean dynamic (and conclusion thereof) from Les Mis.