Objectivism Online Forum

OPAR Discussion Group (Plano)

Rate this topic

I am starting an OPAR discussion group that will meet bi-weekly in Plano for those that are interested. The first meeting will be on October 22. We will cover a new chapter of the book every meeting, using the OPAR study guide that can be bought at the ayn rand book store. The format will be to read the chapter on your own, then answer the questions in the study guide at the meetings.

Meetings will initially be at a coffee shop.

e-mail me for more specific info. if you are interested.

I have split this into a separate thread. That way, any updates and announcements about the meetings can go here. Also, I noticed that you mentioned Oct in the post above, but Oct 15th in a more recent post.

Good luck with the meetings.

Edited by softwareNerd

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry bout that. The new time is Oct. 15, at 3:30pm. E-mail me for location info. Chapter 1 will be covered using OPAR study guide by Gary Hull.

We had the meeting on Saturday as planned. There were four of us. We only got about half-way through the chapter 1 questions in the study guide, so we will just be picking up there next meeting, hopefully in a little under 2 weeks. Those wanting to join in should feel free. Just read up through the chapter we are covering for that meeting out of OPAR.

Of the questions you considered from the Study Guide, which one was discussed most or had the most interesting discussion?

I cannot recall what was discussed most now. I think it may have been question 3: "Would a biological explanation of consciousness undermine the idea that consciousness is an axiom? Why or why not?"

I think that one of the more interesting discussions was probably somewhere on the section on causality.

• 2 weeks later...
The second OPAR meeting will be moved back to Nov. 6, earlier in the day, so that we can all go to the ARI speech later in the evening.

Well, we did the second OPAR meeting before the Yaron Brooke thing. We were pressed for time, so we still have the last two sections of chapter 1 to finish. More people seem interested in comming to the next one, and we are just getting started, so let me know if you are interested. Next time we will finish chapter 1 and start on chapter 2.