Objectivism Online Forum

A mock Presidential speech for my debate course.

Rate this topic

AmbivalentEye

My Fellow Citizens:

We find ourselves today at a crucial time period of American history. Our nation is in a state of downfall. With the War in Iraq, we have lost irrationally gargantuan quantities of money. We have had painstakingly high amounts of deaths due to war and other disasters when we had the capacity to preserve so many of them. Our economy is in a state of inflation. And our level of education is nowhere near as high as it could be. The time has come for us to make a shift from our current ineffective policies, because if we continue at this rate, it will become nearly impossible for us to ever recover.

Our nation was founded as a symbol of individual triumph and possibility in a world where most of the odds were stacked up against us. Now, we must restore those ideals and those convictions back into the hearts of the American individuals, because it is they that are the basis of our nation, and the ones that have brought us this far. We live in a society with freedoms that are unknown to millions of people in the world, but in order to preserve our people and our nation, we must do everything within our power to defend those freedoms and uphold them always without any compromise.

As your democratic candidate for presidency, I refuse to be as so many others that have stood up here with false promises and ambiguous statements. I shall not be basing my positions on religious standards, but rather on the highest ideals. I believe that we established the freedoms of religion and separation of church and state in this country in order to ensure the protection individual beliefs. Therefore, I shall I refrain from breaching that premise by imposing on you common statements of public devotion to a higher power, or of its support for our actions. I believe it is important for a leader to remain objective, and as I see it, we have three main objectives to confront at this time. These vital objectives are: the strengthening of our homeland security, the rebuilding of our alliances, and the restoration of our economy.

First, and foremost, it has been seen throughout the nation, that American citizens are in a state of panic and distrust. Under our current administration, so much of our military has been centered in Iraq, that we have lost the protection necessary to ensure the well being of the people. A perfect example of this was the New Orleans disaster, and the President’s inexcusable delay in responding to the crisis. Under my leadership, I will guarantee that the lives of the American people shall not be taken for granted. It has been my life’s conviction to preserve the quality of life of all American individuals, and as President I plan on maintaining that primary policy for my life and in my actions. We need to improve our standards of analyzing, gathering, and sharing information in order to ensure the prevention of any further terrorist attacks on American soil. We need to strengthen our borders and increase reliable response to any internal crisis. And we must also struggle to attain resolutions for these global conflicts of confrontation and terror, so we may procure a nation that is safe for our future generations.

Furthermore, it is time that we rebuild our international alliances, many of which have been neglected and broken by our current administration in a time that is crucial for us to gather our strengths and bolster our values as a whole in this world. We have to strive to restore the view of America as a nation that is respected, not one that is opposed or feared. We must strive to continue being one of the primary leading powers of the world, but never forget our foundations and our willingness to be open to diverse beliefs and differing interests, as long as those interests never jeopardize our own ideals. We have always believed in America as a place that can be admired; that advocates possibility, and that defends rights, not only for ourselves but also for humanity, and I plan on doing everything I can to keep us always bound to that prospect and that idea.

Finally, it is critical that we commence a restoration of our economy. One of our main problems at this time is our dependence on Middle Eastern oil. Thus, I believe that in order to alleviate ourselves of such burdens as a reliance on products from our own enemies, we have to move in the direction of energy independence. I find it illogical for us to continue this policy of negotiation and compromise with governments that do not share our values and interests for the world, so we must endeavor to attain our energy through other means. As president, I would establish a system that supports and awards ingenuity, talent, determination, and creation. We must invest in our country’s researchers and scientists who may very soon harness fuel sources that will save us billions of dollars in the future, and that will improve the quality of life for all. One of the most promising possibilities at hand is the use of hydrogen as the future’s clean, reliable domestic source of energy, and I will be committed to funding the facilities necessary for these developments.

Through all of these means, we shall progress toward a safer nation with protected ideals. We will regain worldwide alliances and support. And we will have greater economic independence and the strengthening of America and its people.

My other platform positions are:

· War In Iraq: To create a stable and secure government in Iraq that its people can trust, understand, and be involved in. This will involve appointing a commissioner that would have the credibility to deal with the Iraqi people while maintaining communication with the US on the development of policies and structure.

· Abortion: The rights of a woman to her body should not be a matter of the government, and though it is the duty of the American government to preserve the lives and well being of its people, a nation cannot breach the personal rights of the individual.

· Homosexual Marriages: In favor of the legalization of all homosexual civil unions throughout the United States.

· Stem cell Research: In favor of furthering scientific exploration and analysis for advancements in medicine.

· Education:

o To enforce high standards and challenging curriculums.

o To create of tax credits to reduce the price of a 4-year post-secondary education.

o To supply the necessary resources for schools.

o A raise in teacher wages to promote better education and to attain even more skilled and reliable instructors for our youth.

o To advocate the importance of math and science, and specifically reward excellence in those fields.

· Immigration:

o To reinforce the protection of our borders and prevent any further illegal breaches to the US.

o To not penalize immigrant students already in this country for their extensive efforts throughout the years and provide amnesty for them and their families.

· Criminal Justice System:

o Strict enforcing of laws and punishment for offenses.

o To reject capital punishment and rather invest in further rehabilitation and assistance programs.

Personal Pursuit as President:

v To fund movements for the preservation of American youth and the reduction of teenage suicide rates within the nation.

If this speech is being submitted to us to be critiqued in an Objectivist manner, it fails in some respects:

Stem cell Research: In favor of furthering scientific exploration and analysis for advancements in medicine.
You plan on doing this in what manner, further government intervention in the medical field?

· Education:

o To create of tax credits to reduce the price of a 4-year post-secondary education.

How would you do this? More government run colleges, taking money from those who earn it and giving it to those who did not?

· Criminal Justice System:

o Strict enforcing of laws and punishment for offenses.

o To reject capital punishment and rather invest in further rehabilitation and assistance programs.

So is it "punishment" or "rehibilitation" you are proposing?

Hmm.....that's really bad.... I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers for your questions. I just did some research on previos Democratic Platform speeches and used the main points that I agreed with, but honestly, I have no idea what tax credits are. I just think it would be great to reduce the price of college. and the philosophy? I really wouldn't know that either. I was just stating the things I felt strongly about in a formal manner.

• 2 months later...