Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings from Oz

Rate this topic

A few things about me...

I am an 18-year male who lives in Brisbane, QLD, Australia. Currently I am studying a double degree in International Business/Arts in Asian and International Studies.

Among my hobbies are history, politics, philosophy, tennis, skiing and reading.

I look forward to posting regularly on these forums. <_<

I just noticed that nobody had welcomed you yet! I welcome you and tell you that I enjoy reading what you have to say. You are obviously an intelligent young man. (Please forgive the "young man" bit. I'm a very young (cough) grandmother. I don't mean to be condescending -- older people are often mistaken as being so. It really isn't condescension. It is the smile of memory!)

How did you come to Objectivism? And how have you survived the philosophical climate in Austrailia to do so? (I'm not dissing Austrailia. We in America now live in the same climate. The only difference is in the ideas which originally formed our respective governments.)

I just noticed that nobody had welcomed you yet!
It's about time! :angry:

j/k :)

How did you come to Objectivism? And how have you survived the philosophical climate in Austrailia to do so?

I came by Objectivism the same way most people in today's world do- via the Internet. While not a full-fledged Objectivist, my mum has read many of Rand's works (something I didn't realise until I asked her to pick me up a copy of Atlas Shrugged) and fully understands my reasoning behind taken such a keen interest in them.

(I'm not dissing Austrailia. We in America now live in the same climate. The only difference is in the ideas which originally formed our respective governments.)

I understand what you mean. The ten steps recommended by Marx to implement communism have been present in Australia for some time. Robert Menzies, the founder of Australia's most fiscally conservative party, firmly believed that "The functions of the State will be much more than merely keeping the ring within which the competitors will fight. Our social and industrial laws will be increased. There will be more law, not less; more control, not less." Things are as bad now as ever, with Australian's paying the most tax since the nations founding.