Objectivism Online Forum

Who All Are In The Houston Area?

Rate this topic

The Wrath

• 3 weeks later...

My family moved to Houston when I was 2 and a half years old. I do not remember anything before that time and my time spent at college has been shared between Lubbock and Clear Lake. I'll be 29 in December, so, I'd like to think I qualify for that bumper sticker, "I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could".

As for houses, Kingwood (all the older communities at least) was masterplanned so that no two houses would look identical next to one another. So in the older neighborhoods there is a wonderful mix of house styles. One house on our street has a French estate look to it with a decorative front fence, another has Spanish tiles, and yet another has a pair of lions at the front walk. Definitely not a cookie cutter neighborhood :) But also, this is pretty much the norm for a large part of the community. As far as suburbs go, I'd like to think this is a nice one.

If you went to college in Lubbock, I assume you went to Texas Tech. I went to A&M...and I'm just assuming that you watched the game last night. Quite pathetic in my opinion and, while I still don't consider Tech to be A&M's rival, anyone who beats us that bad definitely earns bragging rights.

I grew up in Pasadena. Or as I like to call it, Clear Lake. Anyone from Houston will get the joke.

No two houses were alike in my neighborhood since it was created before any idea of master planning came around. Everyone had to build their own houses. In fact, my dad designed our house and was his own contractor. Having grown up in a neighborhood where every single house was different, it had an "organic" feel that I have trouble finding anywhere built after 1970.

Even the new master planned communities, even though each house is different, they all seem to be built from a basic model.

I grew up in Pasadena. Or as I like to call it, Clear Lake. Anyone from Houston will get the joke.

:) Nice.

Each day I commute from Kingwood to Clear Lake/League City. It's two hours of my day, round-trip, so to keep myself from going nuts, I like to switch my route every now and then. Occasionally I'll go over 610 through Pasadena or over the Sam Houston toll bridge. I have to admit that going over the industrial parks at night is one of my favorite parts to the otherwise monotonous drives. (Seeing the sunsets behind downtown is another.)

Each day I commute from Kingwood to Clear Lake/League City. It's two hours of my day, round-trip, so to keep myself from going nuts, I like to switch my route every now and then. Occasionally I'll go over 610 through Pasadena or over the Sam Houston toll bridge. I have to admit that going over the industrial parks at night is one of my favorite parts to the otherwise monotonous drives. (Seeing the sunsets behind downtown is another.)

The 610 bridge at night is beautiful. All the plants lighted up, ships going under the bridge, etc. Though my favorite is the Fred Hartman Bridge with all the industry in the backround. Though the downside is the smell you get from the petro plants.

I spent many an hour as a youth cruising Center Street in Deer Park and working the other side of 225 in college.

Though my favorite is the Fred Hartman Bridge ...

Magnificent! I'll have to take a leisure ride out there soon.

Speaking of great views, I'm preparing to make arrangements for my birthday and I'd like to have dinner downtown. A while back (well over ten years ago) I remember having a very nice meal several stories up inside One Shell Plaza. Does anyone have any dining recommendations downtown that are in the high rises? (Maybe this should be a new post?)

Magnificent! I'll have to take a leisure ride out there soon.

Speaking of great views, I'm preparing to make arrangements for my birthday and I'd like to have dinner downtown. A while back (well over ten years ago) I remember having a very nice meal several stories up inside One Shell Plaza. Does anyone have any dining recommendations downtown that are in the high rises?

Sure. I'm a real foody so love dining downtown. Is there a certain type of cuisine you like ala' progressve American, Asian, Italan or are you more concerned with ambiance and view.

(Maybe this should be a new post?)
Good idea, I'll start places to eat and save the mods the trouble. Edited by scottkursk

• 1 month later...
Dr Baltar reporting in from the Clear Lake area. Hello :)

I just noticed your new avatar. I guess that does answer my question if you work in the space industry. I grew up in CL and was a NASA brat. My dad's yea olde station wagon had the bumper sticker "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist."

Edited by scottkursk

• 3 months later...
Just thought it would be a good idea to have this forum, so I asked for it to be created. Just wondering how many of us live in the Houston area.

I live in Huntsville which, as I'm sure you know, is about 45 minutes north of Bush Intercontinental.

I'm staying in Tomball right now, but I'm about to move, either to the Galleria area or Downtown. I grew up in a little town called Liberty, halfway between Houston and Beaumont.

I'm staying in Tomball right now, but I'm about to move, either to the Galleria area or Downtown. I grew up in a little town called Liberty, halfway between Houston and Beaumont.

Is that the Liberty near Daisetta? I spent some time there as a kid during the summer.

I've lived in both areas of Houston, both have their advantages. Both are nice if you work nearby. Welcome.

Is that the Liberty near Daisetta? I spent some time there as a kid during the summer.

I've lived in both areas of Houston, both have their advantages. Both are nice if you work nearby. Welcome.

Yes, the one near Daisetta. Very exciting town.. ::sarcasm:: :worry:

Yes, the one near Daisetta. Very exciting town.. ::sarcasm:: :D

We had a cabin in the woods to get away from it all. If you define "cabin" as a trailer in a chigger infested forest and "it all" as civilization other than that seen in the Deliverance. he he.

Still, it did instill in me a real love of things like camping, walking an hour to the nearest store, and shortwave radios. But then that was 30 years ago. It must have changed a little bit since then. Of course, we spoke of Liberty like it was New York. It had thousands of people that lived there.

• 2 weeks later...
But then that was 30 years ago. It must have changed a little bit since then.

Yes, actually, it has! About 15 years ago, they built a trestle for the railroad there.

Well, that's about all I know of in regards to change.. B)

I think Heraclitus would be at a loss to explain that town. I'm in Liberty right now, visiting my parents.. New York! Well, if at least if I jumped from the highest building.. I probably wouldn't be hurt too badly. :P

• 1 month later...