Objectivism Online Forum

Anyone Else From This Area?

Rate this topic

EC

• 4 weeks later...

For those you from Michigan who haven't heard yet, the University of Michigan Students of Objectivism are hosting Dr. Yaron Brook on Tuesday, October 6 at 7:00 pm.

He will be giving his lecture entitled "Capitalism Without Guilt: The Moral Case for Freedom".

Here's a quick summary:

Virtually everyone today regards the financial crisis as a failure of the free market. In this talk, Yaron

Brook, executive director of the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, will argue that in fact it is the

un-free market that has failed. It was not capitalism that held interest rates below the rate of inflation,

spurring massive amounts of borrowing and a housing boom. It was not capitalism that gave us

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which promoted subprime lending and helped fuel the boom. It was

not capitalism that gave us deposit insurance and the "too big to fail" doctrine, which encouraged

risky financial practices. These, and many anti-capitalist measures like them, Dr. Brook will argue,

laid the groundwork for the financial crisis. The only cure, according to Dr. Brook, is to set the

market free. But to do that, Americans must embrace capitalism as a moral system--one that should

be defended without guilt.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php&e...48d4dG29b78c3G7

The talk will be held in room 1640 of the Chemistry building. The Chem building is located on the Main Campus in Ann Arbor, MI. It sits on North University Street, across from the Michigan League, which is #15 on the campus map below.

Here's a map link: http://www.umich.edu/news/Maps/ccamp.html

Everyone is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night Dr. Brook spoke to a standing room only crowd on the U of M campus. He started shortly after 7:00 pm and didn't leave until close to 10:00 pm due to the Q&A session afterwards. Dr. Brook's passion really shines through when he gives a speech.

Here's a link to an article in the Michigan Daily Newspaper describing the talk:

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/free-...nomic-collapse#

• 2 months later...
I'm in the Metro as well. If you guys decide to meet up make sure to post it here or send me a PM. I would love to get together and talk shop.
I know that a few Objectivists meet at 6pm every 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Panera, in the shopping center, in southwest corner of E. Maple and Coolidge, 6 PM. That means the next meeting is tomorrow. if you want to double-check, PM me and I'll send you the email of the "organizer".