Objectivism Online Forum

Libertarians

Rate this topic

Guest Bob

Libertarians are the party of whim. They are right-wing hippies. They advocate anarchy- especially the "radical anti-government" libertarians.

The Mises Institute that Black Sabbath referenced is in grave danger of being compromised by such libertarian drivel. I used to think that von Mises was a major proponent of capitalism. :nerd:

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But your cartoon is idiotic.

It follows the time-worn Republican FUD that Kerry wants to negotiate with the terrorists.

It ignores the FACT that he voted for both wars.

It misinterprets the context of his own foreign policy statement regarding the use of military might.

Worst, it ignores the fact that Bush himself negotiates with terrorists.  He's doing that with Arafat right now.  Arafat is as much a terrorist as Osama Bin Laden.

I have to admit fascination with the post by "herself."

I disagee JC. I believe that Cox and Forkum accurately idenified (as they always do) the essence of John Kery. The essence of John Kery as has been identified on many threads here is complete pacifism as a political theory. This is what the cartoon displays. Bush is bad JC. No one says no. But most Objectivists would argue that Kerry is further along the line to tyranny than Bush is. Measured by the extremes, he is the more evil.

Also for my part, as bad as Bush is he still doesn't have that "angry left" element to him. IMO he is not a power lusting demogouge like every leftist currently out there but rather a man who is too religious and thus severly misguided.

The Libertarians hated this cartoon because it goes to philosophical essentials and as has been said over and over, Libertarians hate philosophy (or at least a rational "absolutist" one).

What does this cartoon have to do with John Kerry again? The peacenik on the cartoon is not supposed to be a depiction of John Kerry, as far as I can tell. That cartoon came out two years ago. Do you disagree that the peaceniks sanction are enemies? Is that what you find "idiotic?"

Libertarians are the party of whim.  They are right-wing hippies.  They advocate anarchy- especially the "radical anti-government" libertarians.

The Mises Institute that Black Sabbath referenced is in grave danger of being compromised by such libertarian drivel.  I used to think that von Mises was a major proponent of capitalism. :rolleyes:

Von Mises is a capitalist. The Von Mises institute, however, is dominated by Libertarians.

As a consequence of this, I buy Mises books from other sources and I buy some of the older writers like Hazlitt as well as George Reisman.

I don't buy any of the Rothbard stuff and I don't buy the stuff by the other writers at Mises.org.

What does this cartoon have to do with John Kerry again?  The peacenik on the cartoon is not supposed to be a depiction of John Kerry, as far as I can tell.  That cartoon came out two years ago.  Do you disagree that the peaceniks sanction are enemies?  Is that what you find "idiotic?"

Come on, AshRyan!

The face is a direct caricature of Kerry!

Oh, well.

I just chalk up that idiotic cartoon to yet another example of FUD spewed by politics and the media.

(see my thread regarding FUD elsewhere in this forum)

I just chalk up that idiotic cartoon to yet another example of FUD spewed by politics and the media.

I did. You seem to be AGAINST just about everything.

Is there anything you are FOR?

Von Mises is a capitalist. The Von Mises institute, however, is dominated by Libertarians.

As a consequence of this, I buy Mises books from other sources and I buy some of the older writers like Hazlitt as well as George Reisman.

I don't buy any of the Rothbard stuff and I don't buy the stuff by the other writers at Mises.org.

Dito. And for the record, George Reisman is perhaps the greatest economist that ever lived. His manifesto is awesome. Von Mises, who was his teacher, would be proud.

I did.  You seem to be AGAINST just about everything.

Man's right to his own life.

Man's right to his freedom of choice and expression.

Man's right to his pursuit of happiness.

Man's right to his material property.

I hope that answers your question. :rolleyes:

Come on, AshRyan!

Oh, well.

If this cartoon is a "direct caricature of Kerry" then why did it come out, as AshRyan said, two years ago?

I did.  You seem to be AGAINST just about everything.

Yes. He is FOR John Kerry.

--

AutoJC--

Come on, AshRyan!

Oh, well.

Cox & Forkum have done many caricatures of Kerry since he became the front-runner for the presidential nomination for the Democrats. If you compare this cartoon to those, it is clearly not one of them.

Though if this cartoon DID depict Kerry, I would still agree with it.

I doubt it. Even the Democrats aren't for John Kerry.

Rush Limbaugh recently commissioned a poll of Democrats asking them, if they could have any candidate they wanted to run against Bush, which would they prefer.

Kerry came out behind both Hillary Clinton and "None of the Above."

Bullshit. :)

Right now I'm undecided. Haven't chosen my poison yet.

Regarding Betsy's incongruous characterization of me not being for anything, I consider that a personal insult. Too bad the admins are too blind to see this.

Ever since the first day I posted at this forum I have done everything possible to respect the rights of the admins here, fully realizing that my posting here was by your permission, and that I had no inherent right to post here.

However, that does not give posters the right to personally insult me in such a manner.

If the admins will continue to ignore my reports (few and far between) then I will have no choice but to defend against such personal insults in the most direct manner that I know of.

I came here to discuss and debate political issues related to objectivism, not to be personally insulted.

Come on, AshRyan!

Oh, well.

What is a bit of a shame about that cartoon is that I LIKE Cox and Forkum!

Even though the face in the cartoon may NOT be Kerry's it looks more like his than anyone else. That's weird.

Were that not the case, I'd actually AGREE with the cartoon's intent since I, for one, actually believed that the anti-war peaceniks enabled the terrorists with their irrational activities.

You can find discussion of this cartoon's roots and relevance here

Regarding Betsy's incongruous characterization of me not being for anything, I consider that a personal insult.  Too bad the admins are too blind to see this.

To remind everyone, here's exactly what I did say:

You seem to be AGAINST just about everything.

If anyone thinks a preliminary impression and a reality check of same are an insult, wait until I REALLY insult someone. :o

To remind everyone, here's exactly what I did say:

If anyone thinks a preliminary impression and a reality check of same are an insult, wait until I REALLY insult someone.  :o

So you further insult me by calling your question a reality check?

Absolute nonsense.

We are in very strong disagreement on this one.

I'll just report your latest post to the mods here and let them be the final judge.

So you further insult me by calling your question a reality check?

Absolute nonsense.

We are in very strong disagreement on this one.

I'll just report your latest post to the mods here and let them be the final judge.

Uh, I think she meant a reality check for her. In other words she said something to the effect of, 'You've given me the impression you're against everything.' And then she asked a question to check that conclusion, something to the effect of, 'Is there anything you're for?'

If that's an insult, then I owe everyone I've ever asked a question of a really big apology.

Pipe down AutoJC: You are more sensitive than my grandma. If you are not going to take it like a man, than at least take it like an eighty year old woman.
:o

If that's an insult, then I owe everyone I've ever asked a question of a really big apology.

ROFL!

(Sorry JC, but you'll have to find another moderator--this one is gonna wait until Betsy REALLY insults someone. [And then will prolly ban the guy she has insulted!])

Rather than abstain from voting this November I am going to make every effort to vote this clown out.

For all his misgivings and his flip-flop, I can't see how Kerry can be any worse.

Right  now I'm undecided.  Haven't chosen my poison yet.

Ah, I see. You will vote for him before you vote against him!

Where do you normally go to be personally insulted then?

Sometimes a little levity goes a long way in a forum when you get off track. If ever a line accomplished that, this one did. What a clever and wonderful sense of humor BlackSabbath has.

Only thing I ask in the future: Please give a warning of your next punchline so that no one spills their drink all over the keyboard! :o

Where do you normally go to be personally insulted then?

Sometimes a little levity goes a long way in a forum when you get off track. If ever a line accomplished that, this one did. What a clever and wonderful sense of humor BlackSabbath has.

Only thing I ask in the future: Please give a warning of your next punchline so that no one spills their drink all over the keyboard! :o

The old ones are the best.

That joke just told itself.

We have plenty of old jokes here in Scotland - they mostly play for the National Soccer team.

Uh, I think she meant a reality check for her.  In other words she said something to the effect of, 'You've given me the impression you're against everything.'  And then she asked a question to check that conclusion, something to the effect of, 'Is there anything you're for?' 

It's an insult nonetheless.

I thought this forum was above such drivel. :D:o