Objectivism Online Forum

Hi There

Rate this topic

I suppose it would be polite to introduce myself:

Although I'm way too private on the internet because I'm paranoid, I'll tell a few things:

I am male and in high school, am interested in programming (it wasn't until I started learning about it that I really "got" epistemology.), 3d modeling, etc. I intend to go to college for a career in simulation and game design. My hobbies are ummm everything, but I'm very passionate about film and electronic games. I read constantly but have a strange relationship with music in which it is not a hobby of mine but I still love it.

Favorite movies: Anything by Quentin Tarantino, anything by Stanley Kubrick, anything by Sergio Leone, anything by anyone associated with Monty Python, the guy who did Fight Club and Alien3 is great (can't even pronounce his name much less spell it.) and many many miscilanious films including The Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Fifth Element, Antz (awesome George Orwell/Ayn Rand libertarianish themes for a seemingly shallow animated movie), Hero (Despite the blatent anti-individualism themes in this nationalistic Chinese film, the directing, cinematography and imagry is so good that my jaw was already on the floor by the time the communism was thrown at me.) and the not-as-good-but-less-offensive House of Flying Daggers, SamuraiX (the movie) was well direced and had a nice "the end doesn't justify the means." kind of indivualistic slant to it, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (mostly for its score), Star Wars (at least the first 3), Bladerunner, The Matrix (just the first one), South Park:Bigger Longer and Uncut (the show is such under-appreciated political satire.) and Team America and many others I can't think of at the moment. Most recently I viewed and enjoyed Maria Full of Grace (A depiction of the American Dream as a positive? It really DOES exist!) and Cold Mountain. In an art form with near unlimited potential I appreciate quality and can usually find something I like in any film I watch no matter how trashy.

Books: (guess who's first) AR Douglas Adams, the Redwall series is fun... random Star Wars expanded Universe books, Dan Brown is fascinating, Micheal Chrichton (State of Fear is a MUST read, it's like The Davinci Code for modern issues, seriously amazing stuff) George Orwell has many good insights...

Currently reading: The Crucible for a class; Atlas Shrugged for myself.

That's enough for "favorites" because they took so freakin long to write...

Ummmm oh yeah serious stuff:

I'm a second generation Atheist, though Objectivist by choice in that her books were sitting there on the bookshelf and my parents praised them highly but I was the only one of my sibling to have picked them up.

Oh and I apologize from previous or advanced post for spelling errors. I do not have Microsoft Word currently on this PC :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

As a student programmer, I also think it is good to have another programmer around here. Might I ask what your favorite programming languages are? Personally I like C++, VB and I am interested in Java, although I have yet to learn much of this.

I do not like C all that much, but I do recognise that it is a programming language I would be a fool not to learn (that and the programming paper I am taking at Uni at the moment focuses on C ).

I see you love the Monty Python stuff, excellent, that is one less person that will not be totally baffled if I quote it (not that I have as of yet) :lol: .

Thanks everyone!

On programing:

I was first introduced to it in VB about 5 years ago. After that I took a Computer Science class in java, a Data Structures and Algorithms class in pseudo-code, and an online class from Digipen University for simple game design in C++ (with a lovely free 2D engine that I'm currently making a game with in my spare time.), and I'm thinking about getting around to learning Basic so I can make programs on my calculator. ;)

Thanks everyone!

On programing:

I was first introduced to it in VB about 5 years ago. After that I took a Computer Science class in java, a Data Structures and Algorithms class in pseudo-code, and an online class from Digipen University for simple game design in C++ (with a lovely free 2D engine that I'm currently making a game with in my spare time.), and I'm thinking about getting around to learning Basic so I can make programs on my calculator. :)

Game design is not something I am going to study all that much on. I have little desire to to learn more than some basic game programming skills as I do not intend to do too much game programming, and besides game programming is not something covered in much detail in any papers at the university I attend.

I realise that knowing at least a little more than my university provides will increase my chances of employment however, so I might consider taking a few courses offered by other providers.

Myself I have always Basic languages are quite useful for really simple tasks such as the text adventure game I am working on as an exercise in learning the JustBasic language. In fact, the first programming language I learnt was a version of Basic on my Commodore 64 back when I was 11 or so. Ahh, those were good times...

...and I'm thinking about getting around to learning Basic so I can make programs on my calculator. B)

What calculator? Back in high school (when I first discovered programming) I used to do *tons* of programming on my TI-85 and later my TI-89. heh, I still have all my old source code and boy was it messy! :)