Objectivism Online Forum

Hardware Specs.

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

Being the curious computer geek I am, I thought I would do a bit of a survey in order to find out what hardware you people run on your computers. If you have more than one computer, then what hardware do you run in your primary machine?

I ask because I want to see what hardware is popular amongst you guys (and gals).

My current system has the following specs:

Athlon 3000+ 64-bit CPU

ASUS K8N Motherboard (5 PCI, 1XAGP, SATA and IDE, 8-Channel sound, LAN)

80 GB SATA drive

40 GB ATA drive

128 MB Radeon 9250 graphics card.

512 MB RAM

DVD Combo Drive (48. 32. 48, x16 DVD)

Edit: I should do a poll along these lines:

Do I tend to do too many polls at time?

Yes

No

Just kidding, I dont think I ask that many of them.. :lol:

Edited by Prometheus98876

What im Running.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16 GHz CPU

Abit An7 Motherboard (5 PCI, 1 AGP)

160 GB ATA Hard Drive

256 MB Radeon X850 Pro AGP graphics card

1 GB Corsair RAM

This is my first custom build and im very happy with it.

:lol:

Nice, that is a good system! I assume you are running x64 XP, or a 64-bit Linux distro then. I run x64 XP on my system.

I see we seem to have the same CPU. I really dont think I will upgrade mine for a little while yet. I want another 512MB Ram( which is dirt cheap). And I dont play many games, so my basic graphics card will hold for quite a while yet.

I own a laptop as my primary computer - a Compaq Presario R3000.

- 80 GB Hardrive

- 3.2 Gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 Processor

- 1 GB of RAM

- 64 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

At the time that I bought this (A year and a half ago), the video card I have was the best they had available. Unfortunately it's welded to the motherboard, and I don't know how to upgrade laptops, so I'm stuck with it. It kind of limits the games I can play, but I don't feel like purchasing I new computer. Everything else I'm pretty satisfied with.

My primary home computer is an Athlon64 3200+, Asus K8V motherboard, 1 gig of RAM, and a GeForce 6600GT-based video card. I've got a 60gig hard drive and another 160gig drive that's barely in use. (Only half is even partitioned, and I've hardly got anything on it.)

I've also got an IBM ThinkPad T40 which my employer provides for me. As I recall it's a 1.5 gigahertz mobile Pentium CPU with 512mb of RAM. I don't remember the rest of the specs, but since it's technically only a loaner it doesn't matter that much.

To be honest, I have absolutely idea what the specs on my computer are. It's an HP laptop that is a few years old and it does everything I need it to do. I used to build gaming machines and could quote the frame rates of my cards. Computers have been so well built in the last few years, I really can't justify buying a new one. So I did check and:

2.1 ghz Athlon

60 gb Hard Drive

DVD-RW

750 mb of ram

Ten or even five years ago I was lucky to have a computer for more than three months before I upgraded it so much that it was no longer resembling what I started with. I still have my ye olde Mac 5200 that will not die. My old 512k Mac also won't die but is of pretty much no use at this point.

I own a laptop as my primary computer - a Compaq Presario R3000.

- 80 GB Hardrive

- 3.2 Gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 Processor

- 1 GB of RAM

- 64 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

At the time that I bought this (A year and a half ago), the video card I have was the best they had available. Unfortunately it's welded to the motherboard, and I don't know how to upgrade laptops, so I'm stuck with it. It kind of limits the games I can play, but I don't feel like purchasing I new computer. Everything else I'm pretty satisfied with.

Thats the thing with laptops, they can be hard to upgrade, even if you do know what you are doing. Too often the manufacturers limit how much you can upgrade the thing. And it is usually much more expensive to do so. I know a few people whom reckon it is sometimes cheaper to just buy a new laptop than to bother with a significant upgrade.

My primary home computer is an Athlon64 3200+, Asus K8V motherboard, 1 gig of RAM, and a GeForce 6600GT-based video card. I've got a 60gig hard drive and another 160gig drive that's barely in use. (Only half is even partitioned, and I've hardly got anything on it.)

I've also got an IBM ThinkPad T40 which my employer provides for me. As I recall it's a 1.5 gigahertz mobile Pentium CPU with 512mb of RAM. I don't remember the rest of the specs, but since it's technically only a loaner it doesn't matter that much.

Why dont you put Linux on the other partition? This would be a good use for that other partition if you like Linux or dont mind trying it out. And there are many 64-bit distrubutions out there, in fact there have been many out for years. SUSE is the distro I would suggest.

To be honest, I have absolutely idea what the specs on my computer are. It's an HP laptop that is a few years old and it does everything I need it to do. I used to build gaming machines and could quote the frame rates of my cards. Computers have been so well built in the last few years, I really can't justify buying a new one. So I did check and:

2.1 ghz Athlon

60 gb Hard Drive

DVD-RW

750 mb of ram

Ten or even five years ago I was lucky to have a computer for more than three months before I upgraded it so much that it was no longer resembling what I started with. I still have my ye olde Mac 5200 that will not die. My old 512k Mac also won't die but is of pretty much no use at this point.

I had my Commodore 64 for years and years! It was sort of fun tinkering with such an old system. But that did eventually break down. I could not reallly do anything all that useful with it of course, but I did manage to teach myself a little BASIC on it. That was when I was 12 or so, so back then it was not so obselete.

These days I like to try and have a reasonably up to date system. Not because I play a lot of demanding games, though this is a small factor, but because I love building systems and being able to say I have a powerful machine.

I mean, my current system is more powerful than I need right now (its mainly for internet surfing, basic documents and programming), but at least I will not have to upgrade any time soon, although most likely I will upgrade to at least 1 GB of RAM.

I guess its the computer geek in me that is the main reason I like to have such powerful systems. :) .

Oooh, I love to show off my hardware:

I have three computers. This is my workstation: http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/des...aming.aspx?cs=1

the blue Alienware Case

Dual processor 64bit Intel Xeon 3.2 Ghz CPU's

3 GB DDR2 RAM

160GB SATA

DVDRW

QuadroFX

This is my desktop:

http://photos.rationalmind.net/v/Miscellan...b_2004.jpg.html

Aluminum/glass case

2.8Ghz Athlon

1GB DDR

120GB HD

7.1 surround soundsystem

DVDRW/Slot-loading DVD

My laptop:

Silver Compaq

64 Bit AMD Turion CPU

512 MB DDR

80GB HD

DVDRW

Oh, and my work computer:

64-bit 3500 AMD CPU (with Win XP 64-bit)

2GB DDR RAM

SATA HD

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

Oooh, I love to show off my hardware:

I have three computers. This is my workstation: http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/des...aming.aspx?cs=1

the blue Alienware Case

Dual processor 64bit Intel Xeon 3.2 Ghz CPU's

3 GB DDR2 RAM

160GB SATA

DVDRW

QuadroFX

This is my desktop:

http://photos.rationalmind.net/v/Miscellan...b_2004.jpg.html

Aluminum/glass case

2.8Ghz Athlon

1GB DDR

120GB HD

7.1 surround soundsystem

DVDRW/Slot-loading DVD

My laptop:

Silver Compaq

64 Bit AMD Turion CPU

512 MB DDR

80GB HD

DVDRW

Oh, and my work computer:

64-bit 3500 AMD CPU (with Win XP 64-bit)

2GB DDR RAM

SATA HD

With such cool, powerful systems I would be pretty happy showing off my hardware too :P . Your systems put mine too shame. Mind you, with the upgrades I have planned, this wont be quite so true. It is a pity my motherboard is a crumm 754 socket system, so no dual-core for me for a while. Though one day I will go in that direction, when I start doing more demanding things.

Edited by Prometheus98876

I build my own systems now, something I taught my son to do as well. I built my current system last February:

3.46 P4 Extreme Edition

Asus P5AD2-E Premium MoBo

2 GB DDR2 667 PC5400 RAM

2x 76 GB SATA Raptors in a Raid 0 configuration

Sapphire Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition Graphics Card

Thermaltake Xaser V Damier Case

Antec Truepower 430 Power Supply

MSI CD Writer 52X

LG DVD Writer 16X

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G) (networked to my wife's and son's computers, wirelessly to my laptop)

Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem

Cox Cable High Speed Internet Premium Service (15 mb/sec | DOWN / 2 mb/sec UP)

I build my own systems now, something I taught my son to do as well. I built my current system last February:

3.46 P4 Extreme Edition

Asus P5AD2-E Premium MoBo

2 GB DDR2 667 PC5400 RAM

2x 76 GB SATA Raptors in a Raid 0 configuration

Sapphire Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition Graphics Card

Thermaltake Xaser V Damier Case

Antec Truepower 430 Power Supply

MSI CD Writer 52X

LG DVD Writer 16X

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G) (networked to my wife's and son's computers, wirelessly to my laptop)

Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem

Cox Cable High Speed Internet Premium Service (15 mb/sec | DOWN / 2 mb/sec UP)

Very, very nice. This is the sort of system I hope to be able to put money aside for over the Summer Break, and perhaps even buy before Uni starts again next year.

Here in NZ, we dont get 15mb/sec Internet at the moment, about the fastest we can hope for is about 8 I beleive...

Very, very nice. This is the sort of system I hope to be able to put money aside for over the Summer Break

Thanks! I'm very satisified with it as it serves my gaming needs well.

My internet service just recently (within the last couple months) ramped up the speed for the premium service. I have done some bandwidth testing, and it truly does get that download speed assuming no other bottlenecks interfere.

Thanks! I'm very satisified with it as it serves my gaming needs well.

My internet service just recently (within the last couple months) ramped up the speed for the premium service. I have done some bandwidth testing, and it truly does get that download speed assuming no other bottlenecks interfere.

Your welcome.

I do not do much gaming, so I dont really need anything as powerful as what I have yet alone what YOU have, but what can I say, Im a computer geek at heart. :P

I wish I could get that sort of speed, yet alone the full 8 we are supposed to get. Maybe if we ever get BPL this would help, but with the sorry state of broadband over here I doubt this will be anytime soon. Broadband gets too little investment over here, despite the growing interest in it. At least the government has loosened some of its unfair laws, allowing more competition.

Duron 3000

512MB 333MHZ RAM

80GB 7200rpm ATA HDD

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series

16x DVD-ROM 52x32x52x Combo Drive

17 Inch Monitor

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Ouch, a Sempron!! Nasty, poor you. Still, once you upgrade to a x64 CPU, you should have a sufficent system especially if you double the RAM. So far I think you get the honour of the "Worst System Award" :D

Oh I feel so inadequate reading these other specs lol.

I have:

Athlon 2800 XP

1gig RAM

1x120G IDE harddisk

256meg Radeon 9600XT

19" Benq LCD

Hey, its still a decent system, it has more RAM than I have. I have discovered that 512MB RAM is quite low for x64 XP Pro really. And a better Graphics card.

Well the main thing is it still runs everything I want. Im not a person who needs to have all the GFX turned way up in games. I have been playing DOD:S on it and it runs quite nicely.

Hey, I dont play any demanding games myself, Im just a geek who likes to have decent hardware. And I was right, x64 Windows with a decent 64-bit CPU is rather nice, bar the odd problem it has with some 32-bit software, like pretty much every 32-bit firewall. Luckily there is at least one 64-bit firewall that is better than the Windows Firewall.