Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas Shrugged Mentioned On Neal Boortz Today

Rate this topic

A caller called in and said he wanted to discuss his top books that he thought everyone should read. Frederic Bastiat's Law was mentioned, which Neal said was his #1 book he thought everyone should read. The caller then mentioned AS, which Neal said was his #2. They discussed Bastiat's book for a minute, but didn't really discuss AS.

So, I guess this thread is kind of pointless, but I know people like being aware of when Rand is mentioned in the media, so I thought I'd just throw it out there. Somehow, I knew that caller was going to have AS as one of the books he mentioned and I felt pretty cool when I turned out to be right.

It's free here. It basically discusses the proper purpose of the law. It certainly is a very good work but in my opinion not worthy of being above Atlas Shrugged.

Here is a quote from the last section of the book:

"God has given to men all that is necessary for them to accomplish their destinies. He has provided a social form as well as a human form. And these social organs of persons are so constituted that they will develop themselves harmoniously in the clean air of liberty. Away, then, with quacks and organizers! A way with their rings, chains, hooks, and pincers! Away with their artificial systems! Away with the whims of governmental administrators, their socialized projects, their centralization, their tariffs, their government schools, their state religions, their free credit, their bank monopolies, their regulations, their restrictions, their equalization by taxation, and their pious moralizations!

And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works."

Edited by Praxus

• 1 month later...

I've read it. Bastiat is one of my favorites as well. Not up to AS like a previous poster mentioned, but still good. As far as political books go, it is a light read. Anyone with any degree of sophistication in economics or politics could finish it in one sitting.

I can see why he would recommend the book to his audience, it's easy to read, uses plain langauge, and takes a very rational, easy to conceptualize approach to Capitalism; which makes it perfect for a first timer, who's looking for an introductory book to capitalist politics.

Boortz happens to be one of my favorite politcal commentators. He takes a very common sense approach to things without getting loopy like certain libertarians. Him, John Stossel, and Larry Eldar are my favorites.

Edited by the tortured one