Objectivism Online Forum

Night Of January 16th, on stage

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

I know Ventura is somewhere in the LA area. So, I thought I'd post this (link). Ventura College is staging "Night of January 16th" in November 2005, in case anyone in the area is close enough and interested.

Edited by softwareNerd

• 11 months later...

WHITTIER - The Whittier Community Theatre will present Ayn Rand's famous courtroom drama, "The Night of January 16th" at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays between Nov. 3 and 18. There will be an extra performance at 2:30 p.m. Nov. 12. Tickets for the play are $10 for adults and $8 for seniors and students under age 18. For reservations or more information, call (562) 693-1105. (link)

• 1 year later...

(Source: OC Register)

Theater - 'The Night of January 16th' - Ayn Rand's courtroom drama is based on the 1932 death of Ivar Kreuger, the Swedish "Match King." The jury is pulled from the audience each night, determining the outcome of the trial. Opening night is 8 p.m. Aug. 22. Shows continue 8 p.m. Wednesdays-Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays until Sept. 7. Tickets are $18-$25. Huntington Beach Central Library Theatre, Huntington Beach.

Funny, when I checked the ticketing website, it offered prices of either 18$ for students (w00t!) and seniors or 20$ (not 25$) for regularly priced tickets.

Also, it's in "Surf City" aka Huntington Beach this time so that's in "South County" aka middle Orange County not the "Southland" aka South L.A. County just to drop some local jargon on ya. :-D

I believe that it runs for about 2 weeks Weds. to Sun. each week., but 2x check the site for details.

• 3 weeks later...

Minden, Nevada:

The Carson Valley Community Theatre presents “The Night of January 16th” by Ayn Rand. The courtroom drama will be performed Sept. 12-14 and Sept. 19-21 at the CVIC Hall in Minden. Evening performances are 7 p.m., Sunday matinees are 2 p.m.

“The Night of January 16th” is recommended for mature audiences. Ticket prices are $12 to $15 for regular performances and $17 to $20 for the opening night champagne gala on Sept. 12.

Optional dinner/show packages with wine for the Sept. 13, 19 and 20 performances are available for $46 at Barone & Reed Food Co. in Minden.

Tickets may be purchased at Barone & Reed, Eddy Street Book Exchange, Re/Max Realty Affiliates or Pony Espresso in the Gardnerville Ranchos. Information at www.carsonvalleycommunitytheatre.org.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Night of January the 16th

ASTORIA — The Astoria High School (AHS) Theater Department presents Ayn Rand’s murder mystery, “The Night of January 16th,” in the AHS Auditorium at 1001 W. Marine Drive.

Where were you that night? Watch out because you may be the next witness in this courtroom drama. Rand’s text guides the viewer through the rise and destruction of a brilliant and ruthless man. The play features Lainnie Alexander, Matthew Berger, Hannah Brown and other AHS students, as they perform a dramatic objectification of Rand’s vision of human strength and weakness. The production is directed by Karen Bain.

Performances will be at 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, March 8, 9, 15 and 16, with one matinee at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 10. Tickets are $7 general admission, or $5 for students with an AHS student body card, at the door.

http://www.coastweekend.com/arts/astoria-high-school-performs-ayn-rand-mystery/article_ff4d170a-841f-11e2-a63c-001a4bcf887a.html Edited by intellectualammo

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

According to a couple of articles, The New Yorker, Parade, and two Wikipedia entries (his and hers) claim they met in the production of "The Dark Tower" while Time magazine mentions he met her while he played a fictional attorney in Night of January 16th.

According to Google Books, Nixon: A Life, they met on the night of 16 January 1938.

Am I overlooking something here?

btw, sNerd, thanks for the heads up. I think I'll attend for an opportunity to be selected for jury duty.

Edited by dream_weaver

A little-known fact about this play is that Pat and Dick Nixon met in a community theater production in Whittier CA. She was Karen, and he was one of the lawyers - defense, I think.

Where'd you hear that? Looking at a few things, they met on January 16, only Time seems to say it was the play. See: http://www.nixonlibrary.gov/thelife/astudentandsailor.php

I remember listening to the radio broadcast, as a teenager, when he resigned. I didn't know his wife's name was Pat (or Thelma for that matter), much less how they met until you brought this up. We both learned something new.

Edited by dream_weaver

This season's drama team is predominantly female. Casting the roles of the judge, prosecutor, defense attorney, the night watchman and handwriting expert were understandable. They cast the night watchman as the wife, who went to work for the husband when he didn't have the gumption to go in himself. This came off humorously.

Observed departures from the screenplay:
The hand writing expert declared the suicide note a forgery. Karen announced the marriage arrangement as a sacrifice, which really stood out as a sore thumb to me. The check written to Regan added a twist of being written on the 6th by Whitfield's testimony, accusing Regan of changing it to the 16th. A gun was added to the findings in the penthouse, using a heat test to expose the serial number, as described in the introduction, tying it to a purchase by Lawrence Regan. Only Karen's fingerprints were found on the weapon, Lefty O'Toole's wife was added as a witness.

The closing arguments were a recap of the defense points made during the trial with the part about the jury being on trial clumsily grafted on, followed by a recap of the prosecutors points, 

As a Catholic college preparatory school, (looked up afterwards) I can understand why some of the dicier portions were omitted. The changes described in the spoiler really disappointed the "purist" in me.

At the beginning, the audience was told that pictures and recordings were not allowed per licensing agreements. At the end, I found myself wondering how much liberty with the script does that same license agreement permit.