Objectivism Online Forum

Free Market News Network?

Rate this topic

rob.sfo

I was listening to a Prodos broadcast about trade restrictions featuring Gerry Jackson & Richard Salsman. I liked what I heard from Gerry Jackson & since I've never heard the name before I did a few searches. It appears he has several editorials at freemarketnews.com.

I'm curious if anyone has opinions of freemarketnews.com? I'm always looking for more to read and I'm not afraid to sort out the good from the bad on my own, but I have come to value the insight of many people on this board, so if you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

*EDIT* Here's their "About FMNN"

Technology breaks down regulatory barriers. In the early 21st century, the world, and the West in particular, is seeing convulsive change. While more and more laws are passed and taxes levied in pursuit of public solutions, a groundswell of support for the benefits of private enterprise is evident in numerous websites and blogs on the 'Net.

FMNN itself is an independent media solution, an Internet-grown, free-market alternative to mainstream media complexes. The key to our success - and to attracting thousands of members from around the world - lies in our commitment to peering behind Big Media mainstream reports to provide more accurate news and analysis in areas of politics, sociology, business and finance.

We're driven by truth. So are you.

Thanks!

Rob

Edited by rob.sfo

This is obviously a libertarian peacenik site, i.e. it promotes "freedom" by attacking the legitimate use of force against the state terrorists who would reduce the freest nation on earth to a landscape of smoldering ruins. Here's one example:

In Bush War I we at least had the common sense to save the oil and then to get out immediately. However, Bush War II has been a much different story. When the Weapons-of-Mass-Destruction ruse fell through and was exposed for what it really was, the public support that had been whipped up by the politicians before the latest undeclared war dwindled rapidly. Now, most of us realize our mistake.

Toppling dictators can never be a mistake. As Ayn Rand has observed, any free nation has the right to invade a dictatorship. It doesn't matter what kind of weapons the dictator possesses:

Q: And that any free nation today has the moral right -- though not the duty -- to invade Soviet Russia, Cuba, or any other "slave pen." Correct?

RAND: Correct. A dictatorship -- a country that violates the rights of its own citizens -- is an outlaw and can claim no rights.

Please refrain from using Objectivism Online to promote anti-American propaganda.

Please refrain from using Objectivism Online to promote anti-American propaganda.
While you might be right in your evaluation of the site, this is phrased as if Rob were the one promoting the site. I believe he was asking an honest question.

I'm always looking for more to read and I'm not afraid to sort out the good from the bad on my own, but I have come to value the insight of many people on this board, so if you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

This is the most peculiar thing about your post. Why can't you trust yourself? Perhaps it is too personal a question; and if so, let me know.

The "I'm not afraid to sort out the good from the bad on my own" asserts that I can trust myself. However, I'm also not interested in completely reinventing the wheel. A post like Lance's (at least until the last line), gives me valuable insight. I'm all for the "figure it out for yourself" approach but sometimes it's simply not necessary. Consider it a division of labor. :)

And Lance, softwareNerd is 100% correct.

Edited by softwareNerd

..., the "I'm not afraid to sort out the good from the bad on my own" asserts that I can trust myself. However, I'm also not interested in completely reinventing the wheel. A post like Lance's (at least until the last line), gives me valuable insight. I'm all for the "figure it out for yourself" approach but sometimes it's simply not necessary. Consider it a division of labor. :lol:

And Lance, softwareNerd is 100% correct.

Thanks for the clarification. Upon first glance, though, it seemed like you were really insecure :santa: .

Edited by softwareNerd