Objectivism Online Forum

Hello Everyone!

Rate this topic

I've been reading and lurking and made, ah, two posts, I think, over the last two months. But, I'd like to start getting more involved in the forum, so, here's my intro!

I'm a freshman at Montana State University, in Bozeman. I'm from Seattle, Washington, but came to Montana partly for a girl (who left me), and partly to be a ski bum (I have a much more serious relationship with the snow). I'm studying Exercise Science, with somewhat less enthusiasm than I'd planned, so we'll see how long that lasts.

I was introduced to Objectivism by Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I loved the books, and read an interview with Goodkind on his website, and saw a reference to Ayn Rand. I thought, "that looks interesting," and promptly forgot about it. Months later, I saw a post on a forum with the heading "Ayn Rand finds God." The post contained a quote from Anthem, "And now I see the face of God..." and a link to the book in its entirety. I followed the link, read the book, and read every other piece of fiction by Rand over the next month.

I've been slowly but steadily going through Rand's non-fiction. I wouldn't say I have a complete enough understanding of the philosophy to claim the title at this point, but so far I'm an ardent supporter. As I mentioned, I grew up in Seattle, where the dominant trend is rabid, 60's style foaming at the mouth liberalism. Which, until I read Rand, was my style as well, though tempered by some beliefs picked up from writers like Goodkind and Orson Scott Card. It took reading Rand for me to realize how contradictory the mix of Objectivist, conservative, and liberal ideas really were though.

I love music, I played piano for years, moved to percussion in middle school, and played with my (outstanding) high school orchestra. I listen to classical and jazz, and I also enjoy electronic dance music, so long as it's not too heavy or the "candy rave" variety. I don't listen to very much contemporary popular stuff, but I have a weakness for women with beautiful voices, Sarah McLaughlin, Dido, Tori Amos. I try not to listen too closely to what they're actually singing about.

I also enjoy various athletics. I love to run, swim, and ski. I swam competitively for most of my life. I was never a star, but I was good enough hold my own, and I was captain of my high school swim team my senior year. I also worked as a swim coach for a year, which was the most fun I've ever had.

And I imagine that's a complete enough introduction. Cheers!

Don't forget Enya, her voice is positively mystical and she sings in Celtic most of the time so you can't understand the lyrics anyway. Adiemus is pretty good, too.

Anyway, welcome!

My parents and brothers live on Whidbey Island, and most of my dad's extended family lives in the Seattle area, so I visit there quite often. They keep trying to get me to leave Ohio, which I hate, but I'm not sure I want to live any closer to them than I already am. :) I'm thinking Hawaii, even though it's full of liberals: it's also full of sunshine and beaches and pineapples and coconuts. I think I'd come out ahead in that deal, whereas Seattle just has rain and my family, which I love at a distance but find increasingly irritating at close quarters.

Welcome to the forum!

My sister-in-law and mother-in-law live in Seattle, so we travel out that way about once a year. I think downtown Seattle is just too cool!

I like the singers you mentioned as well, but I LOVE Natalie Merchant's voice. I have her solo work, as well as most of the 10,000 Maniac CD's. I second Jennifer's mention of Enya as well. Along that vein, there is also Loreena McKennitt. She sings the song The Mummer's Dance, portions of which has been prominently played on the Art Bell show over the years.

I was introduced to Objectivism by Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I loved the books, and read an interview with Goodkind on his website, and saw a reference to Ayn Rand. I thought, "that looks interesting," and promptly forgot about it. Months later, I saw a post on a forum with the heading "Ayn Rand finds God." The post contained a quote from Anthem, "And now I see the face of God..." and a link to the book in its entirety. I followed the link, read the book, and read every other piece of fiction by Rand over the next month.

Ahh, another somone introduced to Objectivism by Terry Goodkind. I myself am one of these people, and I would say there are a few more kicking about the forum. Welcome to the boards, and note there is Sword of Truth forum if you want to check it out.