Objectivism Online Forum

Hello. I'm Garinstone.

Rate this topic

I'm from Fullerton California and I go to college there (History and Philsophy major going to transfer to USC). I live by myself except for my guitar. I'm also only 16.

How did I find objectivism?

I have always held the same values, but i accepted guilt for them(just as hank rearden did). Throughout school and work I felt that I could carry anyone, and that the most undeserving were easiest to carry because they complained the least. The thing that changed me in Atlas Shrugged was Hank because he represented me in so many ways.

My beliefs before that - I was a libertarian atheist(since i was 12 and decided to ask why i believed in god or government). I never made the same connection as Rearden about being the guiltiest man though.

Now I understand why it always made me happy to achieve. I thought happiness came from sacrifice but I never recognized the contradiction. I looked at things out of context far too often but i've corrected that.

My favorite Rand quote is : "What is the nature of the guilt that your teachers call his Original Sin? What are the evils man acquired when he fell from a state they consider perfection? Their myth declares that he ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge - he acquired a mind and became a rational being. It was the knowledge of good and evil - he became a moral being. He was sentenced to earn his bread by his labor - he became a productive being. He was sentenced to experience desire - he acquired the capacity of sexual enjoyment. The evils for which they damn him are reason, morality, creativeness, joy - all the cardinal values of his existence. It is not his vices that their myth of man's fall is designed to explain and condemn, it is not his errors that they hold as his guilt, but the essence of his nature as man"

So thats me. Nice to meet you.

Welcome to the forum.

I play guitar also. What kind of guitar do you have, and what kind of music do you like to play?

I have a couple Martin acoustic guitars. One is a mahogany dreadnought, while the other, my favorite, is a 000 sized acoustic-electric. I have a Mexi-Strat as well, but I enjoy acoustic more.

Well, its good to see that you have become a better person after all of those realisations you have made. I once had some similar sorts of beleifs that I analysed and cast aside, such as the beleif that I should be willing to use my talent to help any whom ask it of me. But thats silly, I should only help those whom deserve my help, not anyone whom makes a false claim of need :dough: .

Anyway, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Hello Garin, nice to have you here. What is your prefered period of study for your history major?

The American Revolution of course. :) I'm going to be a laywer or else I'd be getting a doctorate in history and my dissertation would pertain to something having to do with Thomas Jefferson. Not quite sure because I doubt its going to happen.

I will take care to capitalize Objectivism to clarify things.