Objectivism Online Forum

Linux Distros

Rate this topic

skap35

Which Linux distribution does everyone use? I'm planning on upgrading the back end hosts on my network, as well as my development machines and am trying to figure out which distribution will best fit my needs.

I have one machine that is acting as a firewall, running Red Hat 9 and another machine that I use for software development that is running the same OS. I also have another machine that I plan on setting up as a PPTP server.

Basically, most of my Linux machines serve some sort of network function and that's it. I won't be installing a GUI on any of these machines so end user software is not a concern. However, on my development machine as well as my laptop, a good end user type distro is required since I will be using these two machines on a daily basis.

So I really have two needs: an OS that I will rarely interact with directly (for the firewall/VPN server) and another that is good for programming tasks.

Any thoughts?

None right now, after a significant hard drive overhaul, I have not gotten round to reinstalling Linux yet. There is also the fact that I am deciding which 64-bit distro to use on my 64-bit system, probably SUSE I think. Debian apparently does not really cater for AMD 64-bit chips properly yet, or I might install that. In the meanwhile I might throw Fedora Core 3 on my HDD as a temp. Linux solution.

[Edit: Please don't quote long, entire posts that are directly above yours. Thanks! Matt]

Edited by Groovenstein

I'm not the most experienced user of Linux, but I've had the best experinces with Fedora Core 3, which sadly is better than Fedore Core 4. In case your wondering, Fedora Core is based on Red Hat to some extent not sure exactly how much). Fedora Core is useful as a non-GUI OS and a GUI OS.

[Edit: Please don't quote long, entire posts that are two posts above yours when it's obvious which post you are addressing. Thanks! Matt]

Edited by Groovenstein

I'm not the most experienced user of Linux, but I've had the best experinces with Fedora Core 3, which sadly is better than Fedore Core 4.

I've heard that Fedora Core 3 is better than 4 as well. But I've never used either one of them. Out of curiousity why do you like 3 better than 4?

I use SuSe 10.

Easy installation and use + compatibility are the reasons.

I have had good expereinces with SUSE in the past, an older version, 9.1 I think it was. So I wonder, what particular programs stick out in SuSe 10?