Objectivism Online Forum

Favourite Computer Games

Rate this topic

DragonMaci

What are your computer games?

Mine are the Final Fantasy series, the Ratchet and Clank series, the Jak series and the Age of Empires series.

Age of Empires, Ratchet and Clank, and thats about it really. I dont play computer games that often, and usually only the ones Kane has on his PS2 when I am visiting. :D

Neverwinter Nights (largely for the community-designed modules and the ones in the expansions, the original one that came with the game sucked), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Warrior Within, Gothic I and II, ES: Morrowind, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, both Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale, Drakan, Diablo, Diablo II, all three Warcrafts, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, Unreal, Black & White, The Longest Journey, Syberia II (haven't played 1),

If you want some more dated ones: all 3 Eye of the Beholder games (you can get a nostalgia remake of the first one for Neverwinter Nights at the IGN vault), All the wonderful "gold box" Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games, both Dark Sun games, the Quest for Glory series

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of the new Prince of Persia game, along with Gothic III and ES: Oblivion

Right now my favorite is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's sucked up nearly all my gaming time for nearly 8 months now, and I still haven't done everything there is to do in the original game, let alone the expansions. Throw in all the user-generated quest mods, and I literally may not live long enough to finish playing this game.

Past favorites include Civilization 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and a real oldie, Master of Magic. Going back to the pre-PC days (Atari and Amiga) there were Ultima 3, Ultima 4, and Dungeon Master.

Past favorites include Civilization 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and a real oldie, Master of Magic. Going back to the pre-PC days (Atari and Amiga) there were Ultima 3, Ultima 4, and Dungeon Master.

Yea for HOMM3!! HOMM 4 was a not nearly as good in my opinion. Some preliminary shots and video for HOMM 5 look promising.

Also, in the mentioning of pre-PC (my owning one anyway) games, I have to M.U.L.E. a mention. What good Capitalist wouldn't like M.U.L.E.?

<--- Video Game Addict

Definition of Addiction: Food, Sleep, Social Contact, "Real Achievement" < Game

I love RPGs and Strategy Games, plus Some Sports Games

The My Newest Addiction is Civ 4, still need to mod it to have a Philosophic/Industrial Civ

Past Favourites

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2

Vampire: The Masquarade Bloodlines

Rome: Total War

Galactic Civizations

EA's Madden Series, NHL, and MVP Baseball

Baldur's Gate

Civilization 2

Personally, I'm waiting for the Daikatana & Duke Nukem hybrid disk to come out to play on my Phantom console. :P

Sorry, old geek joke.

Actually I still play SimAnt, and Wolfenstein (not 3D). I've still play Warcraft 1 and Zork Online because I really enjoy old games. Though I've never got onto online games. The whole MMOPG's never had any appeal to me. Actually, I really enjoy the classic video games that I bought made by Worlds of Wonder. It's those little pseudo video game machine that plug directly into the tv. Those are fun since they bring back memories of my childhood. Oh man did I waste ALOT of my dad's money on Phoenix. If he were alive I'd apologize....

Neverwinter Nights (largely for the community-designed modules and the ones in the expansions, the original one that came with the game sucked), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Warrior Within, Gothic I and II, ES: Morrowind, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, both Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale, Drakan, Diablo, Diablo II, all three Warcrafts, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, Unreal, Black & White, The Longest Journey, Syberia II (haven't played 1),

If you want some more dated ones: all 3 Eye of the Beholder games (you can get a nostalgia remake of the first one for Neverwinter Nights at the IGN vault), All the wonderful "gold box" Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games, both Dark Sun games, the Quest for Glory series

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of the new Prince of Persia game, along with Gothic III and ES: Oblivion

Wow, you and I have pretty similar tastes in CRPGs.

Some additional games I've enjoyed over the years: the Wizardry and Ultima series, the two Ultima Underworld spinoffs, Deus Ex, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, System Shock, System Shock II. the Bard's Tale series ("It's like Wizardry, only more so"), and the Might and Magic series.

The only 3 games currently in development that I'm looking forward to are Gothic III, TES: Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights II. (Although I did not play the original NWN, I kind of have an obligation to try NWN2 because the lead designer on it is a good friend of mine. We lived next to each other in the dorms for three years in college and he was best man at my wedding. I played in an AD&D campaign he ran for about three and a half years. If the single player campaign in NWN2 is no good, it won't be because he's incapable of writing a good one.)

I forgot NwN 2. Nice to see another Gothic fan! Those games rock! They were one of the few games I've played where even towards the end of the game I didn't mind having to walk places because the scenery was so pretty. Plus I found the plot twists to be really fun. In both of them so far I've had moments where I literally yelled "OH DAMMIT! THOSE JERKS!" at the game . . . and I didn't mean the game designers, but the in-game NPC's. It's a good game if it's fun even when it's frustrating you.

I'm currently playing Dungeon Lords multiplayer with a friend of mine. Thus far one of our main amusements with the game has been discovering all the features that aren't finished or don't work. It's not a bad game (it's very similar to Wizards and Warriors, which was a Wizardry spinoff IIRC) but it "feels" like the sales department went down to where the various actual software writers were working and said, "okay, we moved the release date up three months without telling you, so whatever you've got now, we're taking it and sending it out." "But it's not done!" "Tough cookies."

I'm especially amused by the inn where you can rent a room but not rest because they didn't finsh furnishing the place, and the wizard who tells you to take anything you like out of his tower to help you . . . when there isn't a blooming thing in the place. There are skills you can't buy, effects that don't do anything, and features that appear on the menus but don't work. ::sigh::

Note to Game Developers: Be like Blizzard. If it ain't done by the release date, push the date back, even if, like Blizzard, this means you release all your games 6 months after you said you were going to. (I think Blizzard has the Feature Creep of Doom.) If it's a good product people won't mind waiting.

I would love to try Neverwinter Nights. I've tried Morrowind and didn't really find it all that enjoyable. Tried Icewind Dale and I like it so far. I liked the PS2 Baldur's Gate and Diablo, both of which I've finished. I've also tried warcraft 2 on PSX.

I would also like to add Dink Smallwood to my list of favourite games.

I would love to try Neverwinter Nights. I've tried Morrowind and didn't really find it all that enjoyable. Tried Icewind Dale and I like it so far. I liked the PS2 Baldur's Gate and Diablo, both of which I've finished. I've also tried warcraft 2 on PSX.

I would also like to add Dink Smallwood to my list of favourite games.

I would have added that if I had remembered about it. I also havent played it, but Kane, remember we can easily afford the game, its dirt cheap. I would like to use the campaign editor thing I have heard so much about, it sounds rather interesting, and some trustworthy sources have spoken highly of it.

I would have added that if I had remembered about it. I also havent played it, but Kane, remember we can easily afford the game, its dirt cheap. I would like to use the campaign editor thing I have heard so much about, it sounds rather interesting, and some trustworthy sources have spoken highly of it.

Actually right now I can't afford it. Right now I can't afford a pebble.

Edited by DragonMaci

Actually right now I can't afford it. Right now I can't afford a pebble.

* Gives you a pebble* Here you go, now you dont have to worry about it. I will buy it for your Xmas present OK?

Duh, I forgot Baldurs Gate! I love that game... so this is a terrible omission. Diablo is OK, its not great, but I dont mind it in small doses. At least Baldurs Gate has a more interesting storyline and uses 3rd Edition DnD rules changed around a little.

He's referring to the PS2 game Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance. That uses 3rd Edition rules.

Yeah, sorry I was indeed referrring to this one. Its been so long since I have played many of these games that I forgot about the old Baldurs Gate game.

I'm a big fan of the good old games.

Command and Conquer, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle are my favourites.

"Use hamster with deep freezer" :D

I wonder why nobody makes cool Point-and-Click-Adventures anymore.

:)

Have you played Beneath a Steel Sky or Flight of the Amazon Queen? You can download them both for free now on the ScummVM website, both with speech!

I'm a big fan of the good old games.

Command and Conquer, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle are my favourites.

"Use hamster with deep freezer" :D

I wonder why nobody makes cool Point-and-Click-Adventures anymore.

<_<

I quite like Command and Conquer and Command, Conquer Red Alert and Command and Conquer Red Alert 2. I haven't tired the other Command and Conquer game.

I also like the original Dune game.

Try Syberia and The Longest Journey. I think the target audience for point-and-click adventures switched from men to women somewhere along the way.

Thanks for the hint. Regarding the change: Why do you think so?

Have you played Beneath a Steel Sky or Flight of the Amazon Queen? You can download them both for free now on the ScummVM website, both with speech!

Thanks again. I'll try them both. I knew BASS before, but I never played it.

Why do I think so? I think it's because the companies that make the games discovered that their survey results were showing that women liked those games. Twenty years ago women that played computer games were comparitively rare . . . there was no sense at all in making games for them, so all games were targeted at males. (I mean, assuming you can use the word "targeted" in this context.) The people that made the games were male, the people that bought them were male, so the "target audience" thing wasn't a big deal.

Now, huge numbers of people, male and female, use computers, and there are a huge number of options in what they can buy computer-game wise. So, the games have to be more targeted. To really get into RPG's and strategy games I think you have to know something about fighting and kind of enjoy the abstract concept (same deal for action movies) whereas point-and-click adventure games are all about solving problems, etc . . . you don't have to have a frame of reference for them.