Objectivism Online Forum

Favourite Computer Games

Rate this topic

DragonMaci

Now, huge numbers of people, male and female, use computers, and there are a huge number of options in what they can buy computer-game wise.

In fact, the games that have sold the largest numbers of units do so by selling to people who don't even think of themselves as computer gamers. Myst is a good example. The Deer Hunter series is another. Both sold many millions of copies, and both sold the bulk of them to people who have probably never played any other computer game.

In fact, the games that have sold the largest numbers of units do so by selling to people who don't even think of themselves as computer gamers. Myst is a good example. The Deer Hunter series is another. Both sold many millions of copies, and both sold the bulk of them to people who have probably never played any other computer game.

True. the best selling game, The Sims sells extremely well with "non-gamers".

I have been an avid player since I was 5, and my parents got me a Nintendo with Super Mario Bros. Before I get into favorites, I had to give it up for the game that single-handedly saved the industry from itself.

I currently caught the MMORPG bug, but amazingly, Everquest 2 is my drug of choice, not World of Warcraft. I tried World of Warcraft, and I found myself coming back to EQ2. EQ2 is a more community-centric game, with a greater emphasis on 6-man teams than WoW. And because the community is smaller, it's more tightly knit. I love roleplaying my characters, and whenever I do, I find people will usually jump right in. Wether it's my cocky "daughter of Nietzche" Dark elf shadowknight, or my Objectivist Dark Elf Paladin, where I have been chastized (or complimented, depending on your point of view :D ) for combining traditional values of nobility with dark elvish selfishness. And yes, I love Dark Elves. Finally, a race of elf that don't act like a complete bunch of sissies. Enviro-commie hippie sissies at that.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, I played the heck out of those games, and still play them from time to time. what is it about Star Wars that, despite bad movies and bad philosophy, keep me coming back again and again? probably the emphasis on heroism and adherence to values. I know alot of people prefer KOTOR 1 over 2, but I enjoyed 2 immensly, because it tore down and questioned the traditional Christian altruist morality. What Objectivist didn't get a smile on their face when your mentor chastized you for giving money to a begger?

oh yeah, and for everyone who played Knights 2 on the PC, Make sure you follow the restoration project, which is restoring alot of the cut content. http://www.team-gizka.org/

Neverwinter Knights I liked alot, but there was something about the single player campaign that I couldn't put my finger on till I reread "The Art of Fiction." Ayn Rand observed that the 20th century has seen a greater emphasis placed on Characterization rather than plot or theme, and I think Neverwinter Nights illustrates that perfectly. Great Plot, decent theme, poor Characterization.

Baldur's Gate 2 goes without saying... great plot, great theme, spectacular Characterization.

And while I didn't like Jak and Daxter, I LOVED Jakk 2 and 3. Jakk is a badass who perfectly falls in line with Objectivist ideals. It was like Grand Theft Auto minus the bankrupt philosophy and gratuitous violence.

Halo 2 for the Xbox is, IMHO, one of the greatest games ever made. First of all, it's the story of a technological minded, rational Human society vs a fear and ignorance worshipping Alien theocracy. Now that I have your attention, I must point out that even though the story line and single player mode is one of my favorites in a video game ever, the multiplayer mode is insane. I live in a Barracks, and there is nothing like grabbing 10 friends and have everyone play on the LAN. it's so much fun I can't describe it in words.

• 3 weeks later...

I never did quite catch on to the consoles. I always found the pc much more interactive and I never felt like I had total control over the movements with the controls like I do with a mouse and keyboard. I'm a FPS (first person shooter) lover, my favorite being Quake 3 Arena. Counter Strike is a great game for team work. I've also been looking at Quake 4 which looks just awesome. Painkiller is another one that is so intense to watch; very fast paced. Unfortunately my computer being a 1.5ghz gateway cries out in pain whenever I try to play these graphic intense games. This Christmas should change that. Speaking of Painkiller, there was the CPL tournament recently, yes professional gamers playing against each other in the biggest electronics tournament. This last event being the grand finals with a purse of $250,000; $150,000 awarded to first, $100,000 going to second place. If you guys are interested in seeing it, here’s the link http://www.mtv.com/games/video_games/month...ek_05/cpl.jhtml

The skill that both players’ posses truly are inspiring and even if you don't like the genre you can't help but get caught up in the excitement :D

The only real PC (I use Mac) I find myself playing (since most of my time is spent on GameCube) is America's Army. And since I suck at FPS games, with no real hope of getting better, I don't play terribly often. It is a fun game. I just wish that when I put 6 bullets into someone's body, they don't kill me with one shot to the head. Hmmm...I might play tonight, now.

• 2 months later...
I wonder why nobody makes cool Point-and-Click-Adventures anymore.

Because people got dumber and quit buying them. I saw a documentary on G4 gaming channel. however, if you liked DOTT (and who wouldnt??) you should get psychonauts. made by the same guys under a different name: Double Fine Games. Its hilarious. check it out.

Because people got dumber and quit buying them. I saw a documentary on G4 gaming channel. however, if you liked DOTT (and who wouldnt??) you should get psychonauts. made by the same guys under a different name: Double Fine Games. Its hilarious. check it out.

Wow. Thanks. I've never heard of psychonauts. But if it's even remotely as good a DOTT, then I think I have a winner. I only hope the game works on my crappy PC. But then ... I was planning to buy a new one anyway.

Edited by Felix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently I'm enjoying half-life 2, which i have only recently acquired. It at least has a slightly different feel from most of the generic rubbish around. I must explain I'm an xbox gamer.

If any of you guys love soccer (or football as we brits call it) you should try pro evolution soccer 5, fantastic game.

Just to mention a few of the truly great games...

You left out System Shock. Truly ground-breaking. It came out almost 15 years ago and to this day I still pull it out and take it for a spin occasionally.

Right now, I've gotten sucked into Oblivion. If you liked Daggerfall, this is a must-play. Bethesda Softworks has been trying to write a particular kind of large-scale open-ended CRPG for many years. Each time they try they get a bit closer. Oblivion is almost perfect.

I also have to give props to the Gothic series from Piranha Bytes. The controls are a bit strange, but the underlying games are well worth it. Gothic 3 is about the only CRPG currently in the pipeline that I'm excited about.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nobody mentioned Deus Ex! Greatest single player game of all time, IMO. I never got into to DX2, though.

Overall, though, I'd say my favorite game of all time was Diablo 2. The online play in that game was incredible. (While they had it under control, and before the expansion pack came out and the casting system was ruined.)

I also liked City of Heroes for a while, but this game was ruined by devs as well.

Other than that I agree with what other people have said...Jedi Outcast, Unreal Tournament, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

• 2 months later...

StarCraft, WarCraft III, CounterStrike.

Also the Tekken series, Super Smash Brothers Melee, and Tetris for consoles.

Personally I prefer competitive games that test your skills against others, be it strategy games, FPS games, or fighting games - even if I started out horribly bad at them. For some reason I can't seem to stay interested in any single player games for more than a month. RPGs also get boring for me after I've played it once over.

However I especially dislike games that requires you to repeat similar tasks repeatedly for hours on end (read: MMORPGs). Sure it can be fun from time to time if you play it with friends, but only in between vast hours of grinding. Oftentimes I hear people say that it's the most playing time per dollar you spend, but the problem with that is most of the time I spend playing I'm not actually having fun since I'm just repeating the same things over and over.

• 1 year later...

I grew up on the Luscasarts adventure series and the SIerra adventure series. As such, I'm a huge fan of adventure games, including the newer ones such as The Longest Journey (one of the best in the genre).

I am also currently playing SPORE, City of Heroes, Mass Effect and I'm waiting for Fallout 3 this christmas (I've been warned not to buy it by my boyfriend, so that means there's something waiting for me under the tree).

I ALSO am a huge fan of Interactive Fiction-- essentially text-based adventure games, and have been authoring a few of my own, too.

Edited by kainscalia