Objectivism Online Forum

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Rate this topic

AshRyan

I'm a huge metalhead. Lately I've been revisiting a lot of classic 80s stuff like Megadeth, Overkill, and King Diamond/Mercyful Fate. My current favorite band is Nevermore, although Symphony X is the band that probably had the biggest impact on me.

Thanks to my dad, I grew up listening to 70s prog rock, and as far as that goes my favorites would be Genesis (Gabriel era only), King Crimson, and Rush (been listening to a lot of them lately as well).

I like *some* 80s goth, for example Bauhaus and The Sisters of Mercy.

I really enjoy fusion guitarists like Allan Holdsworth and Shawn Lane, although I think it'd be inaccurate to say I was an out and out jazz fan because of that, cause I'm not much into a lot of the straight bebop stuff.

And thanks to having had my "neoclassical/Shrapnel Records/Yngwie" phase I was sought out a lot of great classical stuff too. The composers I discovered that I liked the most were Mozart, Bartok, Satie, and Bach, and I really love Vivaldi's 4 Seasons too (not familiar with much of his other work tho).

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music genres that I enjoy: Industrial, EBM, futurepop, J-Rock, darkwave, goth rock, Industrial/black/death metal, hardcore techno, trance, noise, breakcore, drill n bass, jazz, classical, blues, punk...to name a few.

Ten of my favourite bands are: Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Static-X, Velvet Acid Christ, Front Line Assembly, The Cure, Die Arzte, Dir en grey and Tool.

I am a big fan of old school country: hank sr, johnny cash, merle haggard, jimmy rodgers etc all the way up to the 80s

Im also a big fan of down south rap: Im a die hard screw-head, geto boys fan, all the old school h-town stuff: street military, point blank, trinity garden cartel, botany boyz etc

I also like b-gizzle, trick, a lot of the ATL stuff

Old school soul and R&B is probably my passion though: marvin and tammi, the temptations, teddy pendergrass, smokey, al green, dorothy moore, aretha, martha and the vendellas all that old stuff

The Supergroups (Zeppelin, Cream, the like) have always done it for me. Rush is another favorite.

Right now I'm on a jam band kick though. I can stand to listen to that stuff since I really don't pay attention to lyrics... It's all about the melodies and rhythms.

To answer the topical question in a efficient manner: Many.

To answer with less snark and more substance: My taste spans many genres. I am rather fond of melodies that can incite high emotion in me, often excitement being the favorite. Pumping rhythm mixed with soaring or spunky sound serve this purpose best. With classical music I am of a slightly different bent, preferring a towering and integrated sound. I am rather found of Beethoven and Mozart, Rachmanioff as well. I also rather like ROAR! The Cloverfield Overture written by Michael Giacchino.

For non-classical pieces I often like exciting music. I am rather fond of techno, rock, progessive rock, power metal. I also have a healthy liking for the bouncy sound of pop, and a few pet rap artists. I also rather like Japanese rock and music. Their voices seem to meld rather well with the music overall. It may help that I can't understand a lick of it. With rock I rather like Bruce Springsteen, Ozzy Ozbourne, and Billy Joel. I am a fan of Daft Punk. Rush and Jethro Tull are fun progressive rock bands. I rather like Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata Atrica, and Dragonforce for my power metal fix. I also love ABBA, much to the annoyance of my classic rock-a-holic father. I can't help but be fond of a pop group who wrote a love song about Napoleon. For new bands I recommend PANIC at the Disco. Their first album shows great skill with sound and lyrics, but with rather sub-par themes. Their second album is much more benevolent in its theme and has an almost totally different composition.

I also find I get a lot of pleasure from soundtracks to movies and particularly video games. The blood pumping sound of battle music from a good RPG really gets the juices flowing. Some movies and shows have a really well done score capable of expressing and stimulating many moods. Video games have often overlooked soundtracks of very high calibur. For those interested, I recommend Nobuo Uematsu's work on the Final Fantasy series along with the Chrono Trigger and Shadow of the Colossus soundtracks.

Also: To the poster who mentioned King Crimson; Yes, I do like them.

And to EC: The Crimson King was inspired by King Crimson. Stephen King does this sort of thing all the time.

• 1 month later...

I'm deeply moved by some of the music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, performed by Emmy Rossum, in the movie "The Phantom of the Opera". My three absolute favourites would be "Think of Me", "All I Ask of You" and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again". I'd strongly appreciate it if you would make recommendations on other similar types of music I might like, based on this.

P.S. I just discovered "The Last Game", by Jerry Goldsmith. It has some very epic and inspiring parts – I recommend it.

Edited by JMartins

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I have been listening to a lot of songs by the Polish band O.N.A. like Niekochana, Krzyczę-jestem, To naprawde juz koniec, Suka, Mrok, Winna, Ciagle Ty, Krzycze jestem, et al . I really am attracted to her voice, but I have no real idea of what she, Agnieszka Chylińska, is singing about.

Also I really like Emiliana Torrini songs like If You Go Away, Gollum's Song, The Boy Who Giggled So Sweet, Until The Morning (with Theivery Corporation), and Sounds of Silence.

Faun songs like Egil Saga, Karuna, Tinta, et al.

Nemesea songs like Threefold Law, Empress, Beyond Evil, et al.

Edited by intellectualammo

• 1 month later...

I recently came across a new version of Falling in Love Again. (It's the closing song for the Frank Miller movie "The Spirit", which I also liked) Who knew Christina Aguilera can actually sing? Anyway, I thought I'd share.

Also, there's this song I added to my playlist today:

(I guess it's a little Beatles-y, but fresh)

I don't listen to punk, but primarily Goth metal. There is a song by NOFX, though, that I like (well some of it) The Idiots Are Taking Over.

I've been listening to a lot of Sins of Thy Beloved.

Also The Gathering and Lake of Tears songs like So Fell Autumn Rain, To Blossom Blue, and The Organ.

• 2 weeks later...

As for classical music i just love Brahms. especially those:

Also Max Bruch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY_y6icFCwU

Then there is of course Mozart's Requiem, alot of Beethoven and other popular Componists, but my favorites are clearly Bruch and Brahms.

As for more contemporary music

I love Clint Mansell's work for requiem of a dream and the fountain (such a great movie!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLpJtvzlEI

Sad but beautiful :)

Other songs i love include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYRvIOZfZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNQktWjz1c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHilyO9CMaI

crizon, I love Brahms as well, but thanks for the jumping off point.

For violin concertos, I love Beethoven's. He could write fiery pieces, and that works well for the violin.

I especially like the third movement where the real fire is:

But, he also wrote a romance for the violin, which is sweet sounding, because of the purity of the notes. I've listened to quite a few classical violin pieces, and this one always stood out for me. This may be the sweetest sounding violin piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64KW04601ts

All of Mozart's Violin concertos are brilliant. Choose anyone and you can't go wrong.

And of course Tchaikovsky, this is a beautiful piece, played here by Itzhak Perlman. I hear this is technically very difficult, and when you hear parts of it you can understand this. The sliding notes (don't know the technical term) must be difficult to master.

There are some gypsy sounding violin pieces, folk pieces, that I've heard and loved, but I really don't know what they are. I just remember hearing some great pieces.

For piano my number one choice is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, third movement. I can play movement one, and have not attempted the third yet, but it looks to be insanely difficult to learn.

Another piano piece I've come to love is the Hungarian Rhapsody by Franz Liszt. The piano player here, Maksim Mrvica, may have the garb of a punk rocker, but I found that by watching his finger play I was pulled into the piece and appreciated it all the more. It has dynamic elements, and slow elements all throughout the piece. It's spectacular to watch.

Throughout my life I have enjoyed music from the following artists;, Linkin Park, Tamia, Babyface, After 7, All 4 One, Boyz II Men, Creed, Ronnie Dyson, Shai, Joe Cocker, Do Or Die, Jesse Powell, Justin Timberlake, Journey, Tevin Campbell, Mariah Carey, Whitesnake, Whitney Houston, Bone Thugz N Harmony, Twista, Michael Jackson, Evanescence and I enjoyed the Lion King soundtrack, lol. Those are just the artists that I can name off the top of my head, but there are more that I have listened to and enjoyed. If I like the song it doesn't matter to me what genre it is.

Edited by dadmonson

• 1 month later...

Jazz is perfect in absolutely every way. John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins, Wyclef Gordon, Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Stan Getz, Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Thelonious Monk, Horace Silver, and countless other.

Jazz (Bop, Hard-Bop, Post-Bop, Free, Modern Improvisation, and some Fusion), Classical (Early Music, Romantic, and the European electroacoustic composers... my favorite composers of all time are Mahler, Brahms, Shostakovich, Stockhausen, and Steve Reich), Electronic/Computer Music (Alva Noto, Aphex Twin, Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, Brian Eno, Ryoji Ikeda), North-Indian Hindustani music, West-African music, Afrobeat, 50s-70s Funk, the American Avant-Garde (John Zorn, Sun Ra, Anthony Braxton, Terry Riley, Steve Coleman, Ikue Mori, Mary Halvorson, et. al), Tuvan/Tibetan overtone singing, Pakistani Quaali music (especially Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan), some adventurous and experimental hip hop / dub (The Bug, Saul Williams, Gill-Scott Heron, Prefuse 73, Beans), some Post-Rock (Sigur Ros - not the new album, God Speed! You Black Emperor, Battles), pre-60s blues music (Lightnin' Hopkins is my favorite), and even some singer-songwriter, pop and electro-pop (Justice, Gnarls Barkley, Ratatat, Neil Young, Nirvana, Jefferson Airplane, The Beatles, Buddy Holly, Tom Waits, Todd Rundgren, Led Zeppelin, and Talking Heads).

• 5 months later...