Objectivism Online Forum

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Rate this topic

AshRyan

As an aside, the service that I use to stream my station is called Live365.com and there you will find thousands of other online radio stations featuring just about any musical genre you can imagine. Two stations that I particularly enjoy there are Weimar Rundfunk which features popular European recordings from the 1920s - 1940s and Elite Syncopations which is a station that plays ragtime music.

Cool, thanks for identifying that ragtime radio station Dismuke. I love ragtime.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music is the sum of its parts...it is MORE than just one facet or another (like a diamond for instance if you want to get metaphorical).

You have your guitar, keyboards, drums, bass, vocals, synths (if you want them), vocal effects (if you want them) like a vocoder, etc.

All of those are different variables to making music. Obviously they are different from genre to genre.

Classical can utilize a bajillion piece orchestra and a rock band might use 4 instruments.

Obviously a difference.

rap is the LEAST musical genre due to

A) the lack of instruments, musical training, etc

Most rappers reply on samples or fabricated music if they want ANY sort of music at all which is why the Neptunes are so popular nowadays. The are making a non musical genre musical by doing the work that the artists are incapable of. Rappers almost always have beat boxes, entourages that go up on stage, and canned music. When was the last rapper you saw with ANY instrument?

B) The lack of vocal quality. When was the last time you really heard a rapper sing?

It does happen on occasion....like Eminem on "Hallies song" for example. It wouldn't suprise me if Tupac also sang a song or two. The fact is though, is that their albums are dominated by monotonous tonal quality, rhymes (often slow like Biggies "Big Papa"),and no demonstration of range in the least.

The reason why I don't like vocals in rap is the SAME reason I don't like vocals in camp metal.

Bands like Emperor, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, etc can't sing for squat. They just monotonously scream and scream....and the instruments that are played aren't played with any skill, just mashing.

Rap is the same, but without the mashing and screaming.

you first said that eminem or tupac maybe could sing and then you go on to compare rap to the death metal groups who i agree just scream. how'd you get there?? for one eminem (or say tupac, nas) can sing.

Actually it could be my fault trying to argue about rap, because the kind of rap i like is not the one usually associated with the genre.

in your opinion how much would the lyrics of the song count for?

dinesh.

The point I was making is that rap RARELY utilizes singing. Eminem or Tupac might be able to actually pull of singing...but do they? Does "Without me" or "white america" or any of the other songs that Em has done actually reflect any vocal talent?

You dont' have to answer that.

I was only in choir for one year during my senior year of high school and I tried out (and made) my school district's honor choir (which was directed by Dr. Mack Wilberg who is the assistant director of the Mormon Tabernackle Choir).

I may not know squat when it comes to musical theory, but I have a good ear.

No offense, but most rap is SERIOUSLY atonal, regardless of the abilities (or potential abilities) of the rapper.

Now...as for death metal being compared to rap, I was comparing them in their atonal qualities.

They lack RANGE. The guitars in death metal are just mashing away (usually on the same note or couple of notes/chords) which is lacking in range and gives the genre a horribly boring monotonous sound.

Listen to Notorious B.I.G's song "Big Papa." Tell me that he actually moves from one note to another without cracking up laughing.

He does't.

That is my point in comparing the two.

sure...the metal bands scream and the rappers don't....but they are both projecting a single unmelodic note which isn't really singing to begin with.

In that respect, they are one and the same in my mind.

The lyrics count for nothing, musically.  You may, of course, appreciate the poetry of a musician's lyrics, but they say nothing about and add nothing to the music itself.

Isn't asking the question about the lyrics weight relative to the "song" different from asking how much the lyrics weigh relative to the music? A song is, in my mind, the sum of it's parts, the lyrics AND the music, and how well they flow together aesthetically.

VES

A song is, in my mind, the sum of it's parts, the lyrics AND the music, and how well they flow together aesthetically.

Yes, but is this what is going on in a rap song? Not in most cases, usually the music and the lyrics are completly unrelated.

In any case, you are correct, lyrics may be a good reason to like a song. They, however, may never be a good reason to like the music.

Yes, but is this what is going on in a rap song?  Not in most cases, usually the music and the lyrics are completly unrelated.

This is true of most pop-rap. There's a lot of hip-hop music out there where there is a definite link between the lyrics and music, though. If you're at all interested in hearing some hip-hop that actually IS good in a musical sense, look at Outkast, De La Sol, A Tribe Called Quest, N.E.R.D., People Under the Stairs, or Missy Elliot to name a few. The problem with rap music is that most of us are exposed to artists like Jay-Z, Chingy, P Diddy, etc. It really gives the whole genre a bad rep. It's important, when making a statement about an entire genre of music, that one realizes there is much more out there than what we hear on the radio.

Good rap artists tend to pay much more attention to lyrical content than other musicians. Poetry is what rap is all about, after all.

As far as musical content, it's really more about the producer than the rap artist. Two well-known hip-hop producers who consistently turn out interesting *musical* songs are The Neptunes & Timbalin. Missy Elliot is also well known for her production ability, although most of her work is done in conjunction with Timbalin.

I find that most people who look down on hip-hop as being *unmusical* haven't really been given a wide-enough exposure to the genre as a whole to make a sound judgement; I used to say the same thing in the past. It's excusable. After all, noone can make a judgement outside the context of his/her knowledge.

I don't like any music with lyrics but that just may be due to me having a difficulty in understanding spoken/sung language, so most lyrical music sounds like gibberish to me unless I am reading the lyrics while listening to it.

This is interesting. I've often argued with friends that when it comes to songs, the music is really all that matters...(my english major friends always argued that the lyrics make the song). I like singing, and I like singers...but, the older I get, the more I want just the pure music, or just the beats (a la electronica). It seems that when ever lyrics are involved the tendency is for the music to get dumbed down (not always, of course). Opera (which I normally don't care for) could probably be an acception to this.

Lyrics v. music is interesting too, since music is the one art form without conceptual content, and yet we've gone to such lengths to add it in through words and singing.

It would be an interesting project (I've sure someone has already done it) to trace the development of actual lyrics (as opposed to just vocal tones) being integrated in with the "language" of music.

RCR

No offense taken. I actually agree that there isn't much musical range when it comes to rap. But it still doesn't change the fact that i honestly enjoy listening to "Lose Yourself or 8 Mile Road".

And Halley, of course the lyrics don't add to the music. You hit the nail right on the head, i appreciate the poetry of a musicians lyrics.

dinesh.

dondigitalia: Glad to see someone other than me who also likes hip-hop. I was really beginning to beleive i was the only one here with such tastes.

dinesh.

Hi Dinesh,

I am a fan of hip-hop too (the right kind). In fact, I just saw the whole Quanumm (dj shadow, lyrics born, blackalicious, etc) crew do a kickin' show here in Chicago...

It really is a shame that like with Pop music, the intellegent practicioners of hip-hop style music are almost always buried by the no talent LCD (lowest common denomenator) bunch, a la Britteny Spears in the pop world.

RCR

I like what I've heard of them.

A few more I thought of after I posted last:

Radiohead

Coldplay

Faith No More

based on your tastes above........if you haven't already, make sure to check out "South"'s first album, and the Flamming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"..I am also told that a band called "Muse" is doing great things too.

RCR

Blackalicious did a show at my school earlier this year.

On may 5th we are bringing Del the Funky Homosapien.

Ugh.

I have to say that with Blackalicious, the CD experience is far superior to the live experience. Both, NIA and BLAZING ARROW are two of my hip-hop favs, but the live presentation went a little to far down thug-lane, and I left a little disappointed.

Del the Funky Homosapien has his moments. The Handsome Boy Modeling School CD is also one of my favorites.

I really love the "universal" and "integrative" styles of these bands (and others), not to mention the energy and playfulness that usually comes along with it.

I would think that someone who wears a turnip hat, might appreciate that.

RCR

dondigitalia: Glad to see someone other than me who also likes hip-hop. I was really beginning to beleive i was the only one here with such tastes.

dinesh.

I love hip-hop. I love music in general, for that matter. The only genre I have yet to find any appreciation for is Country.

You mentioned Eminem's "Lose Yourself" earlier. That's a great song. In fact, Eminem is just great. It always makes me happy to see someone make it to the top who deserves to be there. He UNFAILINGLY relays his personal values through good music despite the ridicule he receives for it. Big ups to Eminem. He made it, and he did it HIS way.

I am a fan of hip-hop too (the right kind).  In fact, I just saw the whole Quanumm (dj shadow, lyrics born, blackalicious, etc) crew do a kickin' show here in Chicago...

Question: Do you get to take advantage of the fantastic House Music scene in Chicago? Or is that not really your thing? Chicago is where it all began, after all...

Del the Funky Homosapien has his moments. The Handsome Boy Modeling School CD is also one of my favorites.

I really love the "universal" and "integrative" styles of these bands (and others), not to mention the energy and playfulness that usually comes along with it.

I would think that someone who wears a turnip hat, might appreciate that.

1) I'm my University's productions board. The reason I'm not thrilled about the Del show is that we are wasting 9 grand. To be blunt...he isn't worth the money.

2) Its a mushroom hat.

In fact, Eminem is just great. It always makes me happy to see someone make it to the top who deserves to be there. He UNFAILINGLY relays his personal values through good music despite the ridicule he receives for it.

Sorry, but Em doesn't really have much in the way of personal values.

Yes...he has drive/ambition. Yes he wants money from producing his goods.

What is he selling though?

1) A song about slitting his girlfriend's throat and dumping her in a lake in front of his daughter. Is that the value you are referring too?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/97bonnieandclyde.html

2) Another song...this time about the mentally insane raping his little sister, sodomizing his cousin, slitting his mom's throat, and advocating violence against cops/everyone else.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/amityville.html

3) Robbery. What an Objectivist value *sarcasm.*

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/murdermurder.html

Need I continue?

Eminem's lyrics are crap.

Yes...he made it out of 8 mile....by peddling refuse to the hungry masses willing to eat it up.

Remind you of a certain Fountainhead character?

Question for all of you who listen to music such as-Tool, Nirvana, Metallica, etc.

Throwing aside the 'intellectual' aspect, how does this music correlate to your sense of life? (I'm asking because I'm curious, not to attack)

That being asked, I mostly only listen to classical and Jazz, though I have a few songs by people like Phil Collins that I enjoy. I also am a huge Yanni lover. :)

Some composers I suggest:

Tchaikovsky (:) 1812 Overture, Swan Lake, Nutracker Suite, March Slave especially! )

Rachmaninoff (:) Concerto's 1,2,3, Rhapsody on a Theme..., Prelude in G Minor, Prelude in C Sharp Minor )

Rimsky-Korsakov (Russian Sailor's Dance, Capriccio Espagnol, Scheherazade)

Mussorgsky (The Great Gate of Kiev is amazing)

Dvorak (New World, Slavonic Dance)

Mahler (Second Symphony is amazing-it makes me feel as if I'm IN an action movie, especially part 5)

Vivaldi (Seasons is good, Concerto in A for Strings is awesome)

Shostakovich (Symphony 5. is amazing..., Fire of Eternal Glory, Fugue 6 in B Minor is fun)

Beethoven (9th Symphony, though darker, has an amazing intensity and power, Moonlight Sonata is beautiful)

Mozart (27th Symphony :) )

Carl Orff (Carmina Burana-all movements)

Elton John...Tons of good things by him

Yanni-any song (Though-Santorini, In The Morning Light, Enchantment, Nightengale, The Flame Within, Deliverance, Until the Last Moment, Nostalgia, One Man's Dream, Reflections of Passion, etc. are amazing-pure and simple)

Duke Ellington(Rhapsody in Blue)

Benny Goodman(Swing Swing Swing!)

That's a good starting list :).

The thing with Eminem is that he is a person full of contradictions. He'll write a song about achieving your ambitions and then it may be placed next to a song about raping his mother. The question is whether or not you can divide his music into 'good' and 'bad' and then take value out of what you consider to be good and ignore the bad. I see how a person COULD find a song like 'Lose Yourself' to be inspirational. Personally, I can never like his music because him producing music that is so contradictory, makes me think that he is an extremely dishonest person.