Objectivism Online Forum

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Rate this topic

AshRyan

Throwing aside the 'intellectual' aspect, how does this music correlate to your sense of life? (I'm asking because I'm curious, not to attack)

Your sense of life is directly correlated to the way you intellectually see that life.

What justification are you using for throwing aside the intellectual aspects of the music? That is like asking us to throw away our reason in favor of "feeelings."

Not a question I would have expected from a fellow Objectivist....which is why I'm a little befuddled.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your sense of life is directly correlated to the way you intellectually see that life.

Not necessarily. A person's sense of life is quite fundamental -- a deeply rooted emotional assessment -- and can be in direct conflict with their consciously chosen ideas. Ideally the two, one's sense of life and one's conscious convictions, should be in unison, but frequently they are not. I have known many Objectivists who have formed an early-on sense of life which conflicts with the Objectivist philosophy that they later embraced. If there does exist a substantial breach between one's sense of life and one's consciously-chosen ideas, it may take a substantial effort to identify and correct the problem. For some, this could be a life-long battle.

See Ayn Rand's "Philosophy and Sense of Life" in "The Romantic Manifesto" for much more detail on this.

What justification are you using for throwing aside the intellectual aspects of the music?

I think he is just asking for people's sense of life response, independent of and regardless of their intellectual assessment. It is a fair question.

Thank you:)

You're welcome.

Incidentally, one often hears stories from critics of Objectivism about students -- most often students in the early years of the Objectivist movement -- who suppress their personal likes and dislikes which may conflict with those of Ayn Rand. Quite often such stories are exaggerated, and motivated by anything but innocence on the part of the critics. But, there is an aspect of truth there, related to our discussion of sense of life.

I think some young students of Objectivism, after reading the non-fiction and, especially, the fiction works of Ayn Rand, are left awestruck with the image of Atlantis and all the wonderful heroes to admire, and, rightfully and gladly so, take away an image of the world as a clear, clean and wonderful place where everything of value is possible. This is a view which, hopefully, they will hold onto for a lifetime. But, their own personal sense of life which they brought to this new world may not be in tune with everything that this new image, and new ideas, imply. Consequently, some feel a sense of guilt when they have positive emotional responses to books, movies, paintings, lovers, etc. which are, in terms of explicit ideas, in conflict with the sense of life implied by the ideas of Objectivism. So, unfortunately, some suppress their feelings towards such things and bury those feelings as a shameful response that they think they should not have.

I think that this is the only real source of the sort of stories which are told by the critics and smearers of Objectivism. Of course, the proper response to such a conflict would be, first and foremost, to not suppress that part of you and instead to monitor as carefully as possible those emotional responses which you have. The idea is to identify as clearly as possible the idealogical source, implicit or explicit, in your automatic response, and it is only by a constant process of re-evaluation that such automatic responses will eventually give way to responses tied to your new ideas. And, in the meantime, and this "meantime" could be many years for some, do not be afraid to let your feelings be expressed. It is not shameful if a work of art, which may have some malevolent-world aspect to it, touches a part of your soul. Like all human beings, you need to experience your own sense of life in the form which only art can provide, and you should never be apologetic to yourself or others for that.

In the long run, if you continue to choose to function on the right premises, and if you work at identifying and re-evaluating your emotional responses, you will arrive wholly and fully in that very same Atlantis which you loved and admired so much.

thats a nice way of putting it concerto, and i agree about him being full of contradictions. He shows what he is capable of once in a while, but most of it is drowned in the other crap he comes up with.

and stephen, thanks a lot for that, it was everything i wanted to say :)

Any fans of Carlos Santana here??

dinesh.

*laughs.*

They are far from Sleaze rock.

They do some really interesting stuff actually.

If you have Windows Media Player...go to this site:

http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/default.asp?artistID=1035926

Check out the video for "Fiction."

I would definitely say that I like Orgy.

Especially their last album.

I have LOTS of admiration for what Jay Gordon is doing. He was dropped from Korn's Elementree/Reprise label, so he started his own label and put out his new CD. He is a businessman all of the way.

He is also signing other bands.

The G-synth player Amir has designed his own guitar (The Jackson Disruptor) and is just cool as a musician.

http://www.amir-derakh.com/amir.html

He and Ryan Shuck have their own side project that you might be interested in checking out if you have a basic flash player.

If you do...go to: Julian-K's website

The music will come on automatically.

All in all...the music is really interesting and they have their own unique vibe.

Question: Do you get to take advantage of the fantastic House Music scene in Chicago? Or is that not really your thing? Chicago is where it all began, after all...

Answer: HECK YEAH!!!

I've got quite a wide group of musican friends here in Chicago (I also play keys in a nascent band, and compose electonica). Chicago really is an amazing "scene"...from the house-parties w/live acts, to the live shows at local bars/clubs, there is rarely a time when something incredibly cool and positive isn't happening here.

Actually, I have very good friends in both of these fantanstic up and coming bands..

http://www.small-change.net

http://www.abstractgiants.com

And if you are in Chicago, and you like hip-hop/funk, you'd be crazy to miss their CD release party at The Metro (May 13th).

I just realized that you probably meant House (as in the style) Music and not house music...I do get around to some of the house House party's, don't go clubbing much anymore, my good friends occationally throw big DJ parties, and I know some guys who own a record store that speciallizes in DJ House wax...but, me personally, I generally stay away from "House", since it generally bores the living pants off me. I still *love* the first Soul-II-Soul album, but that's about it.

1) I'm my University's productions board. The reason I'm not thrilled about the Del show is that we are wasting 9 grand. To be blunt...he isn't worth the money.

2) Its a mushroom hat.

Sorry about mis-identifying the vegatable on top of your head. Is it a Mario thing?

Also, now I understand the "Ugh" from before...thx for clarifying.

LOL

I got so excited when I saw the "HECK YEAH!" only to be let down when you said house bores you.

I'd love to find out there was another househead on here. I'm into lots of music, though, so I'll be sure to check out the links you posted.

P.S. Soul II Soul is one of my all-time favorites. :)

LOL

I got so excited when I saw the "HECK YEAH!" only to be let down when you said house bores you.

I'd love to find out there was another househead on here. I'm into lots of music, though, so I'll be sure to check out the links you posted.

P.S. Soul II Soul is one of my all-time favorites. :angry:

LOL! B)

Well, give me a few titles that you love these days, and I'll check them out. Good House is tough to discover, because DJs tend to turn the tracks (even the best) into repetitious nightmares.

One of my ALL time favorite bands is BranVan 3000 and they sometimes fall into House...but, ususally not for more than a min. or two!

RCR

Well, give me a few titles that you love these days, and I'll check them out.  Good House is tough to discover, because DJs tend to turn the tracks (even the best) into repetitious nightmares.

If you have an e-mail that can take large files, I would be glad to send you some samples.

If not, you can look for:

Kings of Tomorrow

Swag

Mark Farina

Derrick Carter

The Freaks

Try to find stuff that they have produced, rather than DJ sets.

A good forum I am on that has excellent house sets to listen to right on the front page is Underground House.net

P.S. I hear you on the DJs

P.S. I hear you on the DJs

Seriously, I honestly can't believe that the single-beat 20 min track thing is still going. Maybe I've just lost connection with the really good places, but I get around enough...I mean, I understand the aerobic aspect of that type of dancing, and the need for a certain consistency, but at the same time, when you play for 2 hours, and spin a total of 3 4x4 beats and do nothing but dump a bunch of high-end tweeks to the mix--ugh..it irritates me just thinking about it. And honestly, the best "club"/"house"/'pop-n-lock"/break-dancing/"trance" dancing I've ever seen is with people who thrive on variation and not the same 'ole same 'ole.

I've even theorized that that whole scene (the hard core repetitous beatz thing) has a certain malelevolence to it, (even in its "happier" House manifestations) in that it seems to do nothing but dull and diminish awareness/consciousness. It just doesn't seem the least bit healthy to me.

Thanks for the list, I'll definately check them out on my next trip to the record store.

Since we are all in sharing mode, I want to pass along the last few titles that I bought, they aren't House or even really Hip-Hop, but they are all electronica, and I am really happy with the lot of them. :)

Greyboy--"soul mosaic"

Mo Horizons--"Remember Tomorrow"

Mo Horizons--"and the new bohemian freedom"

The Dining Rooms--"versioni particolari"

D. Carfagna--"Express Rising"

Del Tron 3030--"The Instrumentals"

RCR

I have always been fascinated by the guitar. I would love to learn that instrument someday.

Can anyone name a few great guitarists whom i could listen to?

I love carlos santana's "spanish guitar" - it's an awesome piece, listen to it if you get the oppurtunity. I like most of his other stuff too.

dinesh.

I have always been fascinated by the guitar. I would love to learn that instrument someday.

Can anyone name a few great guitarists whom i could listen to?

dinesh.

Any of the Romero brothers, playing anything written by the late and great Spanish composer Juaquim Rodriego.