Objectivism Online Forum

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Rate this topic

AshRyan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you heard Miss Machine?  I find it the best out of all Dillinger Escape Plan albums I've heard.

::nods:: At the moment Miss Machine is my favorite, but that fluctuates depending on my mood. It's a toughie though being a choice between Miss Machine and Calculating Infinity. There's a balance and structure to the newer which wasn't present, at least not in any orthodox sense, in older Dillinger. Miss Machine is them stretching into new pools of genius like a tentacled behemoth, and doing a damn good job at it. "Phone Home" is the greatest song Nine Inch Nails never wrote, lol. And I just love "Sunshine the Werewolf". Ah, about 3/4 the way through when Greg just lets rip with "DEE-STRRROOOYYEEERR" ::smiles:: Lovely. They're touring soon. See them. They just rock the fuck out and have energy that's inhuman. Plus, I've definately no bones about the accompanying bands: Zao, Every Time I Die, and Misery Signals. :D

-Jenna

I am a pretty big fan of Charles Trenet and Edith Pilaf. I like the upbeat optimistic tone of the music in general of that era, and the lyrics themselves seem pretty innocuous. It’s the cheerful rhythm that I am looking for more of, perhaps some selections with the flavor of the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim but much less depressing (and much less Avant-Garde).

My question being, is anyone familiar with similar artists? Maybe even ones who sing in English though this is not essential to my enjoyment?

I also would like to locate some good classical Spanish guitar for keeping my calm in traffic.

Benise sounds very entertaining. If you like that, you might like Jesse Cook, a flamenco guitarist who is less traditional and mixes his playing with more of a "world beat" sound, including a lot of mediterranean, middle-eastern influence. He's one of my favorites.

Jesse Cook

Another that comes to mind is a group called Esperanza. They mix their guitar playing with something closer to dance rhythms.

Benise sounds very entertaining.  If you like that, you might like Jesse Cook, a flamenco guitarist who is less traditional and mixes his playing with more of a "world beat" sound, including a lot of mediterranean, middle-eastern influence.  He's one of my favorites. 

Jesse Cook

Unfortunately, none of the excerpts on the site seem to play. Each says it is playing, but there is no sound. I'll keep Cook in mind for listening some other time.

I am not at all a big fan of this type of music in general, but seeing and hearing Benise locally sure made for a couple of lovely CDs to listen to in the car from time to time.

Thanks though for the recommendation.

As long as we're kicking around notes from Spanish-style guitarists, I'd recommend Al Di Meola.

Maybe not strictly "Spanish guitar", although there are many such influences, along with Brazilian, etc.

Many years ago, when I was learning to play guitar, I heard that Al Di Meola was fantastic. I got some of his early 70's albums, and they were impressive, but a little... sterile. Lacking passion.

I put away Di Meola and didn't listen to anything more for years. Then one night on a jazz radio station, I heard the most amazing, imaginative, passionate guitar. After the song, I was amazed to learn that it was Al Di Meola. I went out and bought "The Grande Passion", by Al Di Meola and World Sinfonia.

Highly recommended if you like complex, interesting, acoustic guitar. Here's a formidable link via Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=music&n=507846

As long as we're kicking around notes from Spanish-style guitarists, I'd recommend Al Di Meola.

Maybe not strictly "Spanish guitar", although there are many such influences, along with Brazilian, etc.

Many years ago, when I was learning to play guitar, I heard that Al Di Meola was fantastic. I got some of his early 70's albums, and they were impressive, but a little... sterile. Lacking passion.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=music&n=507846

I too enjoy Al Dimeola's music, but I like his electric albums, especially "Tour De Force - Live" which is probably my favorite DiMeola recording. I didn't like his studio recordings as much. I also love "Friday Night in San Francisco", especially the humor in "Short Tales from the Black Forest."

The only problem is that I started listening to these in 1981 when I was starting to learn guitar. Gave me quite an inferiority complex. :blush:

I enjoy Rush very much. Which of their albums contains most and best objectivistic lyrics?

They are on tour as somebody wrote, and performes in Stockholm / Sweden where I live in September. How are their concerts?

Have a great day!

I saw them on August 1st in Atlanta. Fantastic show! It's the best Rush show I have seen so far, although this is only the 4th time I have seen them. Come to think of it, I've seen them once in each decade since the 70's.

• 7 months later...

What I like in general is virtuosity in whatever form that takes - a great composer, a great voice, a great guitarist, violinist, pianist, or an ensemble of many of those. This has led me to love many different kinds of music, and grow out of others.

When it comes to voice, Frank Sinatra is my top favorite, with (in no particular order) Patsy Cline, Barbra Streisand, Keith Urban, Ella Fitzgerald, Sara Evans, Cecillia Bartoli and many others also favorites.

For guitarists, I like Carlos Santana, Keith Urban, Christopher Parkening, Liona Boyd, Andres Segovia, Brad Paisley, Eric Clapton, Donald Roeser, Vince Gill, Steuart Smith, George Harrison and others.

For composers I love most of the classical romantics (e.g., Mozart, Rachmaninov, Tschikovsky), Rosanne Cash, Lennon/McCartney, the Gershwin brothers, Rodgers and Hart and more.

Mark Peters

What I like in general is virtuosity in whatever form that takes - a great composer, a great voice, a great guitarist, violinist, pianist, or an ensemble of many of those. This has led me to love many different kinds of music, and grow out of others.

Right on!

If you love virtuoso level ability check out Eliot Fisk HERE. His guitar transcriptions & performances of Paganini's Violin Caprices is breathtaking. You can hear samples HERE.

Also, in the field of jazz is Joe Pass (guitar) & the amazing Art Tatum (piano). You can hear samples of their playing if you search Amazon or TowerRecords.

Tatums search on TowerRecords

Joe Pass Virtuoso CD on TowerRecords

If you've already heard of them please excuse my enthusiam! If you haven't yet, happy listening.

[Recommends Eliot Fisk, Joe Pass, Art Tatum]

Thanks Christopher. I've heard of all of those except Fisk, but I haven't yet taken a serious look (listen?) at their work. I do have some guitar instruction books by Joe Pass, though, which were very helpful. :)

I've been listening to (and playing) a lot of Santana for a few months, so I'm about due for a change of gears. I still don't get why "Supernatural" got all that recognition when "Shaman" is so much better. :D

Mark Peters

• 1 month later...

My all time favorite band is Depeche Mode, other groups/artists that I really like is Morrissey, The Smiths, Kraftwerk, Wolfsheim, Telex, Data, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Sisters Of Mercy, The Cure, Nitzer Ebb, Rational Youth and many others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No matter the genre of music, the music I enjoy the most is played written and played with artistic honesty/authenticity. Whether it is Baroque, Classical, Post-Modern, Bluegrass, Metal, Progressive, Punk, Jazz, Blues.... it is the realness of the composition and performance that hooks me. The music is played for the music and not for any other weak motive. If it achieves commercial success and retains its honesty that is all the better.

Prog Rock - Rush (obviously), Yes, Genesis (70s)

Jazz Fusion - Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Herbie Hancock, Jon-Luc Ponty

Freebop - John Coltrane

Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, Hammerfall, Freedom Call, Manowar, Iced Earth, Ozzy Osbourne, Falconer, Yngwie Malmsteen, Anthrax, Blind Guardian, Grave Digger

Check out the lyrics to this great song.

Pop Ya Collar by Usher

Hello everybody, welcome today to the wonderful world of U.

Now check it, you have two options you can eat it or throw it away...

See it's a shame that when you're working hard

doing well people hate you

yeah buying nothing else but the best for yourself they really hate you

yeah ya gotta live for you and no one else

don't let em make you feel like you're not being real

just live how ya wanna live you gotta do for you

(Dig that)

If you work hard play hard

(Dig that)

And do what you wanna do

(Dig that)

Just pop ya collar don't let what people say bother you

(Dig that)

You perpetrators I got something to say

(Whats that?)

You can eat it or throw it away

(Picture that)

You're just mad cause you're following in my tracks now can u dig that? Hey

[Chorus 2x]

Hey ladies

(Yeah)

Hey fellas

(Yeah)

You know you're doing good cause they're jealous

they wanna hate you cause you're a go-getter pop ya collar

don't let 'em sweat ya

You can see me every week hanging out with a different girl sitting next to me

cause I'm not about to settle down right now

I gotta be free some of y'all fellas might be jealous but y'all know that don't faze me

I just pop my collar tip my hat and turn my backs on the ones who hated me

(Dig that)

Never going home alone

(Dig that)

If she follows then you know it's on

(Dig that)

She gets the beeper not the cellular phone

(Dig that)

I let her know I won't be around for long

(Dig that)

To all you haters I got something to say

(Whats that?)

You can eat it or throw it away

(Picture that)

Stop hatin, wishin, waitin, anticipating for my heat to fade

[Chorus 2x]

I break my neck for the things I get

so much sweat just so I can get that check

and I'm not gonna let nobody bring me down (Nobodys gonna steal the crown)

because I eat good I live good, I rock good, my life good

if you got a lot and you're working for it pop ya collar don't be afraid to show it

[Chorus fades out]

My taste in music wanders all over the place, from Glenn Gould's later recording of the Goldberg Variations to Tom Waits.

In terms of 'modern' music I find that an excellent lyricist can really make a difference - when sound and words are blended to perfection. Randy Newman would be a prime example. He is also the author of this ditty, which I hope will appeal to Objectivists everywhere:

God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)

Cain slew Abel, and Seth knew not why

For if the children of Israel were to multiply

Why must any of the children die?

So he asked the Lord

And the Lord said:

"Man means nothing, he means less to me

than the lowliest cactus flower

or the humblest yucca tree

he chases round this desert

'cause he thinks that's where I'll be

that's why I love mankind

I recoil in horror from the foulness of thee

from the squalor and the filth, and the misery

How we laugh up here in heaven, at the prayers you offer me

That's why I love mankind

The Christians and the Jews were having a jamboree

The Buddhists and the Hindus joined on satelite TV

They picked their four greatest priests

And they began to speak

They said "Lord a plague is on the world

Lord no man is free

The temples that we built to you

Have tumbled into the sea

Lord, if you won't take care of us

Won't you please please let us be?"

And the Lord said

And the Lord said

"I burn down your cities, how blind you must be

I take from you your children and you say, how blessed are we

You must all be crazy, to put your faith in me

You really need me

There is something of Toohey's last speech to Keating in the way that the Lord speaks to mankind. Also, it makes me laugh. :ninja: