Objectivism Online Forum

Naafa And Fat!so?

Rate this topic

Inspector

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that the comparison is valid. Atheism is a (lack of) belief, and it is irrational not to be an atheist.

Being fat is unhealthful, and though perhaps it should not be defamed, it is nothing to glorify.

But there are different reasons for being fat. There are actually people that are overweight and don't have as much control that some think. I have known several diebetics, for example, that worked down right hard to control their disease and their weight, and were still fat.

I do agree, it shouldn't be glorified, and I personally am disgusted that any one would. And I say that as a fat chick. However, I would still be careful judging a person based solely or mostly on their weight.

It is interesting though, my husband and I have noticed that most of the life long Objectivist that we have met seem pretty healthy and have their weight under control pretty well. Just a coincidink? maybe not....

• 4 weeks later...
Well I think it is possible for an overweight person to be aesthetically intergrated. I had much unnesessary angest over this when I first decided to become an Objectivist because I have always been attracted to heavier girls.

I've never had angst about this in my 10+ years of being an objectivist who is attracted to bigger girls. I'm attracted to smaller ones too. It's what makes me happy and is what is pleasing to my eye and suits my needs and desires. The common denominator I've found in girls I like is that they are what I'd describe best as being larger-than-life - that is, having characteristics (be they physical, personality or intellectual) that make them stand out from the average. Among that attraction, I've liked girls of many shapes and sizes.

That said, grouple like Naafa are just grabbing for media attention and are just a lame form of collectivism because they presume that everyone should think just as they do. These people have grabbed on to their weight as a way to get attention or as a way to attempt to justify their existence by being activists. If they looked into themselves rather than at other people perhaps they would see they don't need that justification.