Objectivism Online Forum

Fully Rotational Internal Combustion Engine

Rate this topic

ColdWontRise

Also, one thing to note is that in a piston engine, the piston does NOT "crash" into the top of the combustion chamber. If it did it would break right away. The crank/wrist pins stop the piston before it gets that high.

I know. In my engine, the "piston" surface only continues in one direction, as the design lets it, without having to turn around again. I used it as a visual comparison to show why occilation isnt nessary, according to my design. If a piston didnt turn around, it would hit the top of the chamber and break. I made it so the top wall moves out of the way, so the piston could keep going up, and consequently a new piston comes in from the bottom.

Im actually working on an animation for it, which will most likely clarify the idea. =D

That's cool, Cold. Hey, "cool Cold". I like that. :lol:

I'm wondering, though, aren't you worried you'll be giving your idea away? The Internet is wide open to the public and a simple google search might find this. Just throwing this out for your consideration. :huh:

Cold,

I found another rotational engine. This one is diesel.

Rand Cam Rotary

Here is text from the website. Also, if you go to the website you can see an animation.

Four Stroke Engine Basics

The four stroke piston engine was first demonstrated by Karl Otto in 1876, hence it is also known as the Otto cycle. The technically correct term is actually four stroke cycle. The four stroke engine is probably the most common engine type nowadays. It powers almost all cars and trucks. The Rand Cam/Direct Charge Engine represents a dramatic departure from existing piston engine design that has not changed appreciably in well over 100 years.

The four strokes of the cycle are intake, compression, power, and exhaust.

On a piston internal combustion (or reciprocating) engine, each corresponds to one full stroke of the piston, therefore the complete cycle requires two revolutions of the crankshaft to complete.

The Rand Cam TM Rotary Engine also uses the four stroke principle, however combustion chambers form between the rotor, outer housing walls, and vanes and their volumes change as the vanes move during rotation. Because the Rand Cam TM design has twelve vanes, the engine generates an incredible twenty-four combustion events (power strokes) per rotation, twelve on the upper side of the rotor and twelve on the lower side of the rotor.

That's cool, Cold. Hey, "cool Cold". I like that. :)

I'm wondering, though, aren't you worried you'll be giving your idea away? The Internet is wide open to the public and a simple google search might find this. Just throwing this out for your consideration. B)

If someone actually took my idea and built it, Id probably be more excited to see the working model. =D I havent met too many people who have actually gotten their head around the idea.

As to that link, thats a very clever engine design. The one standard that I stuck to on my design is that there would be no occilating parts what so ever. Also, I tried to invent something where the direction of force is continually tangent to the axis. Ive seen no other design that comes close to this, spare the wankel, as most have some form of occilation. Mine has smooth (fixed speed) rotational motion. Ideally, it will be limited by surface friction between parts, and nothing else. Kind of works like a potato cannon, only the potato is fixed and the gun flies back =D