Objectivism Online Forum

Independent Quotes

Rate this topic

GoodyTooShoes

Thanks to the Objectivism Research CD

Independence is the recognition of the fact that yours is the responsibility of judgment and nothing can help you escape it—that no substitute can do your thinking, as no pinch-hitter can live your life...

...conviction requires an act of independence and rests on the absolute of an objective reality.

...the most selfish of all things is the independent mind that recognizes no authority higher than its own and no value higher than its judgment of truth.

I recently got the OR CD and it is very useful!

I do not surrender my treasures, nor do I share them. The fortune of my spirit is not to be blown into coins of brass and flung to the winds as alms for the poor of the spirit. I guard my treasures: my thought, my will, my freedom. And the greatest of these is freedom.
- Anthem

One of my favourite quotes:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt.