Objectivism Online Forum

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire

Rate this topic

Warning. Spoiler for those who have not read book.

I was very impressed with this movie. Albeit long, it got all the essentials in and was remarkably true to the book, except for the explanation of how Crouch's son was released from Azkaban and had his father under the imperious curse.

These Harry Potter movies just keep getting better. The special effects were amazing. How about that Quidditch World Cup Stadium?? WOW!!!

Heh, I didn't get to see it until Saturday evening because I moved this weekend.

Actually, I wasn't too impressed with this movie. It's possible I was just tired and hence predisposed to be over-critical, but I think some important things were left out. I blogged about it here. Feel free to leave me hate mail, I could use more traffic. :(

Let me reiterate, though, that I do think it was decent, just not fantastic. :) I don't want THAT much hate mail.

Heh, I didn't get to see it until Saturday evening because I moved this weekend.

Actually, I wasn't too impressed with this movie. It's possible I was just tired and hence predisposed to be over-critical, but I think some important things were left out. I blogged about it here. Feel free to leave me hate mail, I could use more traffic. :lol:

Let me reiterate, though, that I do think it was decent, just not fantastic. :) I don't want THAT much hate mail.

* Some spoilers ahead *

Yes, perhaps important things were left out from the perspective of continuity, but I still don't see why they cannot make the later movies while continuing to omit those things, or make up for their absence in later movies. To me, personally, those things weren't important in this movie, but they did omit some of the things I would have liked to see (and I do agree that people who haven't read the book would be lost at certain points). But, then, those are the compromises of condensing a 500 page book into a 2 hour movie - you please some of the book's devoted fans, while you dissapoint others. I personally loved this movie, and thought it was very well made and true to the book. I think Voldemort was brilliantly done visually, though I was also dissapointed that they omitted his red eyes and his clear high cold voice. And I loved the Yule Ball scenes - they were hilarious, especially some things they added which are not in the book (the way Ron says "where!?" when Prof McGonagoll asks him to place his hand on her waist :huh: )

I enjoyed the movie and they did a good job of condensing the book, however:

Spoiler

They would have done better not have the third man in the sequence at the start and they shouldn't have made him appear at the quidditch world cup. That would have kept the twist in the book in tact.

It was miles better than the Prisoner of Azkaban as they ruined the twist in that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I wasn't too impressed with this movie. It's possible I was just tired and hence predisposed to be over-critical, but I think some important things were left out. I blogged about it here. Feel free to leave me hate mail, I could use more traffic. :P

i too enjoyed it, but not overly so, and i'm starting to dislike the Harry Potter character in the movies...I'm definitely not sympathizing with his so-sad upbringing anymore, like after so many movies, enough already about the loss of his parents! we know!

In terms of artistic achievement, it was well-done, just not a Casablanca-type classic for me

i too enjoyed it, but not overly so, and i'm starting to dislike the Harry Potter character in the movies...I'm definitely not sympathizing with his so-sad upbringing anymore, like after so many movies, enough already about the loss of his parents! we know!

In terms of artistic achievement, it was well-done, just not a Casablanca-type classic for me

Yeah, but that's kind of the way it is in the books, too. I think that's a lot of the teen angst part. I also think, in many ways, that it's not actually Harry's fault, as people keep throwing it in his face. Still I prefered the third movie to this one. I thought the acting was a bit more crisp in that one. I still think this one was decent. I'm am hoping for a better "Order of the Pheonix." Hey, not all the Stars Wars movies were great, either.