Objectivism Online Forum

Favourite Fantasy Book Quotes

Rate this topic

DragonMaci

One of my favourites is from Commander Sam Vimes, Ankh Morpork City Watch. Here it is (including the preceding comment so it is in context):

"It's the echo's here. I could be anywhere I could have a crossbow aimed at you right now" - 71-hour Ahmed.

"You won't fire it, though. We've both got too much at stake." - Vimes.

"Oh, there is honour among thieves?" - 71-hour Ahmed.

"I don't know. Is there honour among policemen?" - Vimes

One of my favourites is from Commander Sam Vimes, Ankh Morpork City Watch. Here it is (including the preceding comment so it is in context):

"It's the echo's here. I could be anywhere I could have a crossbow aimed at you right now" - 71-hour Ahmed.

"You won't fire it, though. We've both got too much at stake." - Vimes.

"Oh, there is honour among thieves?" - 71-hour Ahmed.

"I don't know. Is there honour among policemen?" - Vimes

Im going to steal some of the quotes from your signature, as I quite like them...

"A contradiction cannot exist in reality. Not in part not in whole." - Wizard's Ninth Rule.

"Life is the future not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule.

"The only sovereignty I can allow to rule me is reason." - Wizard's Sixth Rule.

From Terry Goodkind's "Chainfire" (latest in the Sword of Truth series):

"Faith is a device of self-delusion, a sleight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up. Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. In simple terms, it is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes. Faith is the refuge of fools, the ignorant, and the deluded, not of thinking, rational men."

I think my favorite fantasy quote is from the Tolkien.

"Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd aimênu! "

Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!

The are other more memorable quotes from the LOTR, but ever since I read that one, it stuck in my mind. So I guess I have to call it a fav.

"Faith is a device of self-delusion, a sleight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up. Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. In simple terms, it is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes. Faith is the refuge of fools, the ignorant, and the deluded, not of thinking, rational men."

I was trying to recall how this goes (I do not have a copy of this book at this time), if I had recalled I would have quoted it as well. I recall Zedd giving a vaguely similar speech in Faith of the Fallen, do you recall what it was? If not I can always find it myself easily enough.

I recall Zedd giving a vaguely similar speech in Faith of the Fallen, do you recall what it was? If not I can always find it myself easily enough.

Sorry - it's been almost 4 years since I've read Faith of the Fallen. I'm actually looking forward to forgetting enough of the story, to be able to go back and re-live it again starting from book 1.

Oh, that is a very good quote indeed. As Prometheus98876 said there was a similar one in Faith of the Fallen. I will try and find the quote Prometheus was talking about (I own Faith of the Fallen).

LITANY AGAINST FEAR

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

From Frank Herbert's Dune, not exactly Objectivist, but defininately reason and life affirming

• 2 weeks later...

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." (Tolkein)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." (Anonymous)

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a dagger between the shoulder blades will seriously crimp his style." (Mercedes Lackey)

"…in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach."

-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

"We may stand, if only on one leg, or at least be left still upon our knees."

-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King