Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

HaloNoble6

"1776 is a delightful musical celebration of the founding of the United States of America based on the award-winning Broadway production. The story centers around the familiar historical characters as they organize a movement for independence from Mother England: the tough unyielding John Adams (William Daniels); the charming and pragmatic Benjamin Franklin (Howard DaSilva); the brilliant young Thomas Jefferson (Ken Howard), who is chosen to write the Declaration of Independence even as he longs for the company of his new bride Martha (Blythe Danner); and the rest of the Continental Congress. All events lead up to that most significant date July 4, 1776 when the Declaration was signed. Wonderful songs combined with history make this excellent family viewing."

That's from the DVD case. I loved it. Anyone else seen it? Amazon link.

Edited by Felipe

Sure, Felipe, I saw it several years ago on TV one July Fourth evening. :dough:

I recall it being a non-cynical positive movie about America's founding, all done as a musical, as you point out. I remember being pleasantly surprised by it, because I was expecting some wry anti-American comment thrown in somewhere and none came.

I watched it again last night. I have to say that I thought John Adams came across as rather weak. I mean, he was the most schooled political thinker of the time, but he didn't give one good response (in my mind) of why the United States should become independent. There were many times when he could have. However, he did do a good job when it came to explaining why slavery needed to be addressed in the declaration and how it was the same independence that they were fighting for.

Anyway, it would be really cool if someone did a made another movie about that time period, perhaps not a musical, that had some more political debate. The writers and actors would have to research their roles though, to preserve the historical accuracy of the political ideas of the founders. If done right, that would be very cool though.

Zak