Objectivism Online Forum

Hey, NeoRand4774

Rate this topic

NeoRand4774,

I've been following your argument with DonGalt and I appreciate the way you express your ideas. You are better than I in that respect, but I'm learning.

Anyway, you mentioned being a philosophy and poli sci major. There is one subject that I have not found any Objectivist material on, and it has been bugging me because I am unsure of some of my conclusions. Like I said, I'm still learning. And, of course, unlearning a bunch of the false ideas that are floating around out there.

So the subject is treason. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the subject. That is, what would be considered treason by an Objective government.

Wilderness

Wilderness,

For future reference, my name is Steve, so you can refer to me by that name.

Thank you for the complement regarding the expression of my ideas, I appreciate it.

As far as the subject of treason goes, I do not know what exactly would be considered treason by an objective government. You should keep in mind that the majority of writings about government by Objectivists concern the fundamental philosophical principles behind what a proper government should be, not an in-depth formulation of every aspect of the ideal governmental system. As a result, there are a lot of minor details which would need to be worked out if this form of government were to be created. However, I think the purpose of writing the material on government (at least for Rand) was establishing the philosophical foundations required to begin to determine the exact objective laws present in the system.

Based on the principles defining the function of government that Objectivists have written about however, I can speculate that treason would be defined as purposefully causing extreme harm to the institutions of government (military, police, law court system).

I'm wondering, what books on Objectivism have you read? I'd just like to know what level of experience you are working at. Have any college education or in college now?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have been been following NeoRand's argument with Don Galt. I am very much in agreement with everything I have read on NeoRand's part, and I think his methods are admirable, clear and in strict accordance with reason (and therefore reality). It is obvious that Libertarians have no philosophy, evidenced by the many contradictory organizations established in the name of the same "goal." There are Libertarian groups that advocate taxation, there are Libertarian groups that are COMMUNIST out and out, there are Libertarians that claim to be objectivists, but the fact remains that there exists (to my knowledge) not ONE Libertarian group that actually substantiates their position on Liberty with the use of REASON or philosophy. They say merely that it should be obvious that freedom is a right. They don't explain. They end up looking like beggars, like MYSTICISTS! They appear to me to be saying, "we really want freedom! Just let us have it! Please!!" What could be less Objectivist? So I am not a gigantic hypocrite, I define Objectivism here as the philosophy coined by Ayn Rand, a system of philosophy which asserts that reality exists outside of one's mind, and that the only way to understand and deal with that reality is via reason, a faculty of Man's mind, a process used to understand the objects and events of that reality. I hope that eventually NeoRand will in fact be able to "prove" his (and my) view of Libertarianism to Don Galt. Argue on! :)

Margot

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Unfortunately, there seems to have been some sort of glitch in this website post, and it deleted all of the posts from May 26-June 4 or something like that. So I don't know if you were able to read those arguments in that time period or not, but thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The deleted posts are not gone forever: http://www.rationalmind.net:666/forum/ contains the lost posts, but you will have to move them over to this board manually.

A request: please limit this forum ("Introductions") to...introductions, and discuss philosophy at the "Debate and Discussion" forum.

Thanks,

The Management :D

A request: please limit this forum ("Introductions") to...introductions, and discuss philosophy at the "Debate and Discussion" forum.

Thanks,

The Management  :D

Or, for private conversations, you can use the board's nifty private messenger feature, which you can access either through your control panel (follow the "My Controls" link at the top of the board) or the link (located right next to the control panel link) directly to your messenger, which probably says something like "0 new messages."