Objectivism Online Forum

U of M Objectivism Club

Rate this topic

xavier

Does one have to be a student at U of M to join your group or attend its meetings?

Nope, we have several members who are not affiliated with the University of Michigan. If you're able to come by we'd enjoy having you.

In case you didn't know I'm Andrew, a student at U of M and treasurer of the University of Michigan Students of Objectivism.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the former secretary of The University of Michigan Students of Objectivism.

I quit because the other 3 officers are libertarians. The vice president is an active Libertarian Party member. The president and treasurer are both libertarian sympathizers and openly advocate it.

In this club, I've written several short essays criticizing Libertarianism, drawing mostly from "Libertarianism: The Perversion of Liberty" by Peter Schwartz, with proper citation. We have had serious arguments over this. The president recently made an official statement supporting Libertarianism, so I stopped arguing and quit the club.

Any one in the area should take this into account, if considering the club.

I quit because the other 3 officers are libertarians. The vice president is an active Libertarian Party member. The president and treasurer are both libertarian sympathizers and openly advocate it.

I am not a member of, do not advocate or sympathize with the Libertarian Party.

The purpose of the University of Michigan Students of Objectivism is to explore, discuss, and promote the Objectivist philosophy. [bold mine]

I again extend an invitation to any Objectivist or student of Objectivism to get on our mailing listing by emailing [email protected] and attend meetings if you can.

Andrew's position as an officer is seriously questionable at this time.

Andrew is unaware of the purpose of the club as well as its constitution.

At this time, following the schedule on the UMSO website is not advised. Attend meetings at your own risk. You might find yourself in an empty room. Of course, that is a better position than being in a room with the current "officers."

Join the mailing list now, if you are interested in getting mail with irrational, subjective attempts at justifying libertarianism and the Libertarian Party.

Edited by xavier

The presence of a Libertarian Party member as club vice president and the support of libertarianism by the other officers are under investigation by ARI and by Adam Mossif, an Objectivist professor of law from Michigan State University, who is author (or co-author) of our constitution.

Our club was in disarray from the beginning. I haven't even seen the constitution yet. Only recently did I realize how bad things are. There I was arguing for a strong national constitution when I couldn't even see clearly what type of leadership our club had.

My guess is that there will be no more meetings for the remainder of the year. Unless you are interested in a libertarian club.

Club meetings in the spring are dubious, as all the Objectivists, who live outside Ann Arbor and must commute, have followed my lead and quit the club.

Additionally, I graduate the end of this month, and will be moving to Connecticut, so will be unable to lead the club.

Edited by xavier

Andrew's position as an officer is seriously questionable at this time.

Andrew is unaware of the purpose of the club as well as its constitution.

What is questionable?

I stated the purpose of the club in my previous post, and I will state it again:

The purpose of the University of Michigan Students of Objectivism is to explore, discuss, and promote the Objectivist philosophy.
This was taken from our club website, www.umso.org, in the About UMSO section. To my knowledge, this is the only definitive piece of writing on our club's purpose. There is no current official draft of a constitution. What am I missing here Hoyt?

You might find yourself in an empty room. Of course, that is a better position than being in a room with the current "officers."

Mind explaining what you mean, how a void could be more valuable than a rational discourse with fellow students of Objectivism?

Join the mailing list now, if you are interested in getting mail with irrational, subjective attempts at justifying libertarianism and the Libertarian Party.

Again, cite reality. Stop throwing around buzz words like irrational/subjective that lack context and speaking in broad generalities. There has been one email sent by a member of this club attempting to justify the Libertarian Party; it was irrational but not subjective.

Edited by andrew

I've made it abundantly clear to all the club members that I have quit the club, and thus will no longer give credibility to any arguments made by its current officers by addressing them.

The club is frozen/suspended pending decision from ARI or Professor Mossif.

Edited by xavier

This is senseless--not only is this forum not a medium for airing out dirty laundry, but by the nature of the claim at hand there isn't any evidence that can be provided with confidence for anyone to judge accurately who is what and why. Andrew has handled the situation appropriately, but the matter ends now.

Edited by Felipe

I apologize for the following statement I had made:

Of course, that is a better position than being in a room with the current "officers."

It was unintentional because my intention was to say that an empty room is better than Libertarianism, not to allude to Andrew's character. The allusion is also false because I know Andrew to be a very nice guy. Thus I retract that statement.

Any one interested in UMSO should ask its leadership a few simple questions about the nature of compromise and tolerance. This may save you the time and trouble I had to go through.