Objectivism Online Forum

Mark Cuban On The Fountainhead

Rate this topic

Dismuke

There is a very cool quote in today's Dallas Morning News by dot com mogul and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban about The Fountainhead.

It is opposite the editorial page in a boxed feature titled: "Books Read In College That Made A Difference." It provides quotes from several prominent individuals, mostly authors and media types. Here is what Cuban had to say:

"The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It was incredibly motivating to me. It encouraged me to think as an individual, take risks to reach my goals and responsibility for my successes and failures. I loved it. I don't know how many times I have read it, but it got to the point where I had to stop because I would get too fired up. "

My understanding is that, while he is a fan of The Fountainhead, Cuban does not consider himself to be an Objectivist. Nevertheless, I think it is a very nice quote and perhaps might inspire a few people to check the book out - especially considering that Cuban has a lot of fans and the News is the nation's 12th largest newspaper.

My understanding is that, while he is a fan of The Fountainhead, Cuban does not consider himself to be an Objectivist.

I just don't get that. How can he be such a fan, yet not want to promote her books with financial support? Even if he doesn't want to promote Objectivism as such, he could set up a special foundation to pay to have copies of the Fountainhead distributed in high schools or something.

I just don't get that. How can he be such a fan, yet not want to promote her books with financial support? Even if he doesn't want to promote Objectivism as such, he could set up a special foundation to pay to have copies of the Fountainhead distributed in high schools or something.

I've long believed that Objectivism would really take hold if the influence of her philosohy resulted in people achieving at supremely high levels. Mark Cuban is a billionaire, who was motivated by the Fountainhead. How much more awesome of an endorsement could you find for the philosophy? :D

He's not an Objectivist, I would guess, because he hasn't studied the philosophy seriously. He has, rather, gained some good ideas from the Fountainhead. I see this as great news, because it fuses the philosophy with practical achievement.