Objectivism Online Forum

The 14 Worst Corporate Evildoers

Rate this topic

TronDD

The 14 Worst Corporate Evildoers

Here's a couple of choice quotes:

"For years, the Caterpillar Company has provided Israel with the bulldozers used to destroy Palestinian homes...Peace activist Rachel Corrie was killed by a Caterpillar D-9, military bulldozer in 2003. She was run over while attempting to block the destruction a family's home in Gaza. Her family filed suit against Caterpillar in March 2005 charging that Caterpillar knowingly sold machines used to violate human rights."

"Dow Chemical has been destroying lives and poisoning the planet for decades. The company is best known for the ravages and health disaster for millions of Vietnamese and U.S. Veterans caused by its lethal Vietnam War defoliant, Agent Orange. Dow also developed and perfected Napalm, a brutal chemical weapon that burned many innocents to death in Vietnam and other wars."

"Among automakers, Ford Motor Company is the worst. Every year since 1999, the US Environmental Protection Agency has ranked Ford cars, trucks and SUVs as having the worst overall fuel economy of any American automaker."

And my favorite:

"Pfizer is the largest pharmaceutical company in the world; it is also one of the worst abusers of the human right of universal access to HIV/AIDS medicine."

Here's another gem:

"Coca-Cola is also one of the most discriminatory employers in the world. In the year 2000, 2,000 African-American employees in the U.S. sued the company for race-based disparities in pay and promotions."

Yeah, because charges brought equals guilty. :P

Having Ford on the list makes me laugh. Ford spends an incredible amount of time and money trying to make itself look like a "good corporate citizen", yet they still get kicked in the teeth. Maybe the Ford family should forget the politically correct window dressing and concentrate on making better cars and trucks.

I think the funniest thing is that most of the "abuses" happen in third world countries. They are attacking these corporations for not instantly transforming these barbaric countries into civilized societies.

The Coke thing is not third world. I believe the suit is primarily directed at the practices at the headquarters in Atlanta.