Objectivism Online Forum

My Band

Rate this topic

NewYorkRoark

Below is a link to my band's myspace website:

CITIES

So far, we've opened up for The Walkmen and Bling Kong. These are all drafts and very much unfinished. We have a lot more songs but all of them are generally mid-production like these.

Enjoy.

Edited by NewYorkRoark

I'm really impressed. Your friend has a beautiful voice, and I really like the beat and style of your music.

What did you use to record it, and what program did you use for the effects?

I record my singing with a cheap computer microphone but it's really...really bad quality.

The only instruments I play are flute, clarinet and piano, but they always come out really badly in recordings as well.

Will you be doing any public performances over the holidays? A friend of mine is visiting New York in about a week, and I'm sure she'd like to see you perform.

I record my singing with a cheap computer microphone but it's really...really bad quality.

I've found that a "professional quality" microphone at the low end gives far better results than the crappy computer mikes. You can get the better ones at a music store and they're not terribly expensive - starting at $30+. My Soundblaster Audigy has an input for the plug used on the bigger mikes, but the store probably has an adapter that would make it work with the typical computer input.

I've found that a "professional quality" microphone at the low end gives far better results than the crappy computer mikes. You can get the better ones at a music store and they're not terribly expensive - starting at $30+. My Soundblaster Audigy has an input for the plug used on the bigger mikes, but the store probably has an adapter that would make it work with the typical computer input.

You sing too? Wow, this is awesome. I'm an artist but my favorite thing is singing and music.

So a music store? Hn. I'm going to check computer stores first as I'd prefer to have something I can use on my computer..

No ... well, certainly not professionally anyway! :P Actually it was for a more mundane usage, just general purpose recording of my normal voice and other sounds.

Oh, okay. Thank you for the mic advice, I found a good one online.

Roark- where did you get that photo that's on your myspace?

Oh, okay. Thank you for the mic advice, I found a good one online.

Roark- where did you get that photo that's on your myspace?

We use a shure sm57 for instruments ($80-90) and a shure sm58 ($80-90) for vocals (now we've upgraded to a low-end compressor microphone, which is much, much better - I highly recommend compressor microphones for vocals, at least).

For recording, editing, effects, and production we use ProTools and the basic plug-ins that come with it.

For drums, we listen to a variety of music (mostly electronic/rap - Ghostface Killah is good) and find isolated drum beats, record the individual hit into ProTools, crop the area around the drum beat, save it, and then upload and paste it over and over when and wherever we want to use that kind of drum in a song. No traditional samples or loops.

For a good selection and good service: Sweetwater

We don't have any concerts scheduled yet as we 1.) have very demanding, professional jobs and 2.) haven't completed our demo yet / finished our rough drafts but by the summer we should be out and about on weekends / Thursday nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey that's pretty good stuff. I like 80's style music though. Love it.

While Sweetwater is a great store with a good selection. www.rmcaudio.com is actually quite a bit less on price but still has good service. I could be a bit biased though since I work there. :dough:

I am going to add you to my myspace friends if thats cool.