Objectivism Online Forum

What do you value in art?

Rate this topic

dondigitalia

Each of us enjoy art for different reasons. Some of us like look primarily for entertainment, others for beauty; there are many different aspects. What do all of you look for when viewing/listening/reading works of art?

Craftmanship is the highest artistic value for me. By this, I mean the artist's skill in creating a particular piece and conveying the exact message he intends. Use of artistic techniques, reconciliation of contradictions that arise, complete conveyance of ALL sides of the theme, originality of method, etc. As long as the artist shows originality and mastery in his particular medium, I don't even find that it is necessary to agree with the theme of a piece to appreciate it as a work of art.

Any thoughts?

You are right. I haven't gotten to "The Romantic Manifesto" (although I have purchased it and am working my way to it). There are currently four books above TRM on my list. In the meantime can you give me a concise, general explanation of why craftmanship is not something to value in art? Or is it something one can value, and my label of "artistic value" is incorrect in some way?

While craftsmanship is something that can be admired it does not posses any artistic value in of itself. It can be admired because it displays that individual’s ability and effort toward the piece, (i.e. it takes effort and thought to create something aesthetic pleasing). This is what you are really admiring, their work ethic and or skill. It does not carry any artistic value because it does not convey a “sense of life” so to speak. Instead it is merely a tool that is used to create the artistic value, or concretization of metaphysical abstractions. Just because it looks nice, doesn’t make it art, and just because its art doesn’t make it good.

"Form to the sculptor is all and yet it is nothing.

It is nothing without the spirit; with the idea it is everything."

-Victor Hugo-

I'm not sure if this notion is entirely accurate if taken too literally, especially in light of one of the more recent modern American artistic movements. On the surface the Photorealists? intentions seem strictly comprised of craftsmanship; primarily encompassing very competent draftsmanship and a thorough working knowledge of the mediums they use. As such photorealism would represent no ?value? as it is merely the regurgitation of photographic information. Yet, one of the first generation Photorealists seems to contradict this notion.

Richard Estes' initial decision to use the aid of a mechanical eye (camera), unapologetically, demonstrated his desire for a certain visual objectivity that only a mechanical instrument could reproduce and only a master painter could honor or as he later did refine.

In his later works he literally moved buildings and shifted roads to create idealistic compositions that at first glance seemed like a simple regurgitation of photographic imagery. The images were crisply modeled and detached from visual impurities like photographic blur and atmospheric perspective while infusing the unnatural consolidation of multiple perspectives. In turn he presented the modern urban environment in an intensely vivid manner that no single photograph or human eye could accurately reproduce on its own.

His technical abilities (which embody years of refinement) are bred from a desire to empower visual objectivity with human refinement. This notion alone has many specific philosophical connotations that allude to his personal values.

Of course Rand?s notion still stands as it was Estes? decisions as to how to use his technical ability that provided the context of his values.

Anyways, his cityscapes are gorgeous you should check them out.

And here is a quote form another photorealist Charles Bell that somewhat reaffirms Rand?s notion.

?Consider the lifework of the great artists. They were out more to please themselves than you. If they had been out to please you more then they would have been Illustrators, artists working 'on assignment.' Name a great artist and you?ll find someone on a personal journey in life, and the art is just the footprints."