Objectivism Online Forum

Pride & Prejudice

Rate this topic

Heroic Man

I just saw Pride & Prejudice. I wasn't eager to see it (I went to accompany my wife and daughter), but I was pleasantly surprised and truly enjoyed the movie. And I was surprised that the two lead characters displayed personalities that made me think of Objectivism.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Bennet (played by Keira Knightley) is a strong, young woman who knows what she wants from life, is not willing to compromise her ideals, and has enough pride to stand up for herself and not back down when pressured by her overbearing mother and by people of higher social station.

Darcy (played by Matthew Macfayden) is not possessing of social graces, but he knows what he values and displays the integrity and persistence to obtain what he values, without trying to take shortcuts.

Both characters possess independent minds, trust their own judgments of people and situations, and are willing to re-evaluate their judgments in the light of new information. Darcy, when he realizes the basis of Lizzie's poor opinion of him, does not spend time trying to "talk his way out of it", but instead pursues a course of actions that will demonstrate his true character to Lizzie. He lets his actions speak for him, and he has the patience to wait for Lizzie to learn of his actions and change her opinion of him in her own time.

I recommend the movie to you, and am interested to hear your views of it.

I felt the same way about the book. We had to read it for English a year and a half or so ago, and I expected it to be a crappy romance story.

However I found myself drawn to the book in short order, and finished it quickly. My favorite character was the bitter father; I loved his sense of humor.

Heroic Man,

First, welcome to the forum.

I too first watched P&P thinking it was going to be a "chick flick" (anyone want to try defining that?). Growing up, my sister and her pals had read that book, while I read Tom Sawyer etc. I too was pleasantly surprised by the movie. I don't remember the names or the theme, but the heroine is such a strong character. I should probably put it on my list and see it again. Thanks for reminding me.

I absolutely loved the movie, I went to see it twice. I read the book when I was 8 and fell in love with both Lizzie and Mr. Darcy. I was a fan of P&P before I was a fan of Rand. But after reading Rand I could definently see parallels. Both title characters shared and independence of mind, and unapologetic outlook on the world, and both writers seem to know how to write men I just fall in love with.

• 5 months later...

I loved the movie. I have always been a fan of the book and I consider Elizabeth Bennet to be one of my hero's because she is so strong and uncompromising.

"Only the deepest love could ever compel me to matrimony...which is why I shall end up an old maid."