Objectivism Online Forum

Dagny - A Work En Progresse

Rate this topic

Ravane

Daaang. Hands down for the facial expression. When I read Terry Goodkind's books I didn't think it was possible to create a statue that would have such a profound effect as described in one of the book in series. But now looking at your work, I begin to doubt my conclusion of a power of art in the hands of a talent.

This has not made it to the deviantArt. So, still work in progress?

Btw, deviantArt is full of either anime or just-lets-pretend-this-is-sexy art. I would enjoy seeing works like these, where facial expression is a book to read, not a washout expression with barely any thought in it.

Make sure you don't stop, though, I can see this picture being in one of the Ayn Rand's book.

I think the picture is great, and will be better when you are done with it. I believe that it would be best to wait until she's finished to critique it majorly, but the ideas should still come from her head. One of the major things that stuck with me through The Fountainhead was the refusal of Roarke to work in a group because the ideas and style were to be his. There is, of course, nothing wrong with the minor help and critique such as commenting on the hands or giving photos to go off of, but I say we should leave the creation of the picture and how we know it is Dagny to her.

On another note, I would be interested to see how you would draw Dominique Francon. She was always one of the most interesting characters in any of Rand's novels.

• 1 month later...

Did you finish the painting yet? Can you show the stage it is now? I would love to see it in colors, and with the background.

I love the way her dress emphasizes her body. I love the line of her neck, and the grace of her posture.

I visualized her face differently though: I also have a drawing of Dagny Taggart. It's interesting to see how different people interpret the same character's physical appearance differently.

I thought of her face as not being so perfect in their features (like the perfect beauty of your Dagny) but more of being beautiful for her character.

Here is the link to the drawing: Drawing of Dagny Taggart