Objectivism Online Forum

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe

Rate this topic

Randrew

In spite of the underlying Christian themes, this movie renewed my desire to fight for my values (as did Lord of the Rings.)

Did anyone else feel the same way?

I'm not exactly sure how to pursue this fight, other than continue being happy and pursuing excellence and achievement. I do want to fight for political values, although I never do well in debates. I suppose at the very least I can "fight with my vote." (Anyway, I'm digressing here.)

In spite of the underlying Christian themes, this movie renewed my desire to fight for my values (as did Lord of the Rings.)

I haven't seen this version, only the older one. However, the purposeful pursuit of values (any values) was the main line that Ayn Rand drew in classifying art. That's what she meant by Romantic art (as opposed to Naturalistic art, where people get swept along by fate or society etc.). So, when one watches Les Miserables, for instance, one sees the cop as a villain, and yet one just has to be impressed by his committment to his principles.

I'm not exactly sure how to pursue this fight, other than continue being happy and pursuing excellence and achievement. I do want to fight for political values, although I never do well in debates. I suppose at the very least I can "fight with my vote." (Anyway, I'm digressing here.)
Your focus is exactly right. I think I've quoted this elsewhere on the forum, but I love what John Allison (chairman of BB&T and supporter of various ARI projects) said at one Q&A. Asked what one could do, he said (I'm paraphrasing from memory): be successful. But, you're right, this is a digression. If the topic interests you, start a thread and you'll probably get a lot of ideas that go beyond just 'fighting with a vote'.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the movie last week and thought it was absolutely pitiful. I went in expecting it to be like LotR. They marketed it as if it were an adult-friendly movie, but I was saddened to have to sit through a children's movie.

I haven't read the books, so I don't know if it was accurate or not, but the main reason I thought it was ridiculous is that it explained absolutely nothing. The watcher has no idea why the Ice Queen (whatever she's called) wants to rule Narnia, how she came into power, what she does that's so terribly evil such that the inhabitants want her overthrown, where the hell Aslan comes from, who made the prophecy about the 4 children, why there was a portal inside the wardrobe in the first place, what the professor knows about it, etc., etc. I could go on and on about things that it doesn't even attempt to explain, but I think I'll stop now.