Objectivism Online Forum

What'd You Get For Xmas, Etc.?

Rate this topic

I'm very happy with my gifts this year. All of them were very thoughtful, as my parents and brothers got me things they knew I either needed or would enjoy for other reasons. Examples of things I needed: long sleeve shirts from "Santa," a gift card to Boston Market from my little brother. Examples of things I did/will enjoy for other reasons: taken to Celtics game by my older brother, iPod from parents.

That iPod, man. I'm still a student with no budget*, but one of the things I know I will do when I have money is get cool technology. I love music, so being able to listen to it on some awesome technology I can't afford is a little taste of heaven for me. Thanks Mom and Dad. I love how hard you work, and I really hope you enjoy the fruits of your productivity. Thank you for sharing some of them with me. I hope I've earned them.

This thread is all celebration, baby. Put stuff about mysticism somewhere else. Let's just use this to talk about how we each celebrated wealth, values, and fun.

*What's that Simpsons line about being a grad student with a ponytail and making $300 last year?

We got our son an iPod Nano for the holidays. I second your enthusiasm on that with a 4G 20 Gig iPod myself.

My favorite gifts were; 1) my wife made a payment on my motorcycle for me, 2) Seasons 2-4 of Smallville on DVD, and 3) Serenity (WS) on DVD. My wife realizes how much I have enjoyed riding again, so that was her way of showing her support for my enjoyment despite her apprehension with my hobby. Smallville was on of those "the best gifts are those you like yourself" type gifts. She and my son both like the series so we all watch each episode together.

I got mostly gift cards, so combined with a hefty sales bonus right before Christmas, I'm still enjoying it!

So far I've bought matching dishes for my house (what, am I nesting?), some nice clothes, and a badly-needed external CD/DVD-RW.

Of course, the intellectual needs are met as well: I bought copies of Ayn Rand Answers, a replacement ItOE, The Ayn Rand Lexicon, and Andrew Bernstein's The Capitalist Manifesto. I also picked up Dan Simmons' follow-up to Ilium (a futuristic retelling of the Iliad, except Greeks and Trojans discover they've been maniuplated, then unite to wage war against the gods), Olympos.

Edited by synthlord

*What's that Simpsons line about being a grad student with a ponytail and making $300 last year?

"Now, Bart, don't make fun of graduate students, just because they made poor life choices!" - Marge (Boy can I identify!) :D

I got lots of cool stuff. Gift cards to the grocery store, the gas station, Target, and Starbucks; chocolate, cash, pajamas, etc.

My favorite thing I got was being able to spend time with my wife and her family. It was our first Christmas and we are still paying off the wedding and law school. :D Actually, my favorite gift was the game Mad Gab that I mentioned here on another thread. It has lead to many hours so far of enjoyment and frustration.

One of the other "gifts" I received was my sister who I gave a copy of Atlas Shrugged along with my mom a few years ago. She mentioned she listened to the books on tape unabridged version on her commute to work twice now and is reading the hardback to try to get a greater understanding of it. She also said she picked up a couple other Rand books to listen to. That is nice.