Objectivism Online Forum

Intro

Rate this topic

Hello objectivists.

My name is Will, I'm 20, I live in Brisbane Australia.

I've had a lot of trouble dealing with philosophy in my life. I've always needed a system of thought to fall back on but I could never find anything solid. Subjectivist and religious philosophies are so popular in the world that I only heard of Rand a few months ago.

I actually came to learn about objectivism through my atheism. I have spent some time entertaining myself this year by debating with theists and this introduced me to logic and all the common kinds of atheistic and theistic arguments. I discovered that a lot of people who were writing some really compelling arguments for atheism were also something called "objectivists".

I have read The Fountainhead and it liberated me. Most of my life I have felt a little meaningless because I wasn't doing enough for others, I wasn't working for the greater good etc. Now I know that I can live for my own sake and my life has completely changed direction. I have started (just) reading Atlas Shrugged.

I don't know that I would call myself an objectivist yet, but so far it seems like the only really solid philosophy around.

I look forward to participating in the community.

As a fellow Australian, I welcome you!

I almost wish I was reading Atlas Shrugged for the first time. It's an amazing amazing book. You will enjoy the journey.

I have only just started, but I am already thankful for having read The Fountainhead first.

If you like, add me to your msn list (if you use it): [email protected].

I will :)