Objectivism Online Forum

Danica McKellar

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

I'm always glad to see examples of people who integrate mind and body: say a hard-nosed businessman who plays an instrument or paints; or, and actor or sportsperson who does not talk in bromides.

Today, I came across the site of Danica Mc Kellar who was the girl in "Wonder Years". Turns out that she has a section on her web-site where she answers Math questions! Good for her.

Let me ask you a counter-question, to see where to go with this: Do you agree that it is an integration of something, even if not necessarily of mind and body? In other words, do you see the coexistence of two elements that many people commonly think are opposed and between which one has to choose just one -- as in a dichotomy: take one and you lose the other? If you don't see two elements, then I'll try to highlight the two that I see. If you do, what two elements do you identify?

One of the most crucial things I look for in a girl is sense of life. Just looking at her website, it appears that she really has a great sense of life. I went straight away to the math section of her website and read several Q&As, and I was highly impressed with her on many levels.

It's true that you can't really tell another person's sense of life that quickly, but I like what I saw.

Nice find.

I like Danica Patrick for the same reason. Two sweet Danicas.

Let me ask you a counter-question, to see where to go with this: Do you agree that it is an integration of something, even if not necessarily of mind and body? In other words, do you see the coexistence of two elements that many people commonly think are opposed and between which one has to choose just one -- as in a dichotomy: take one and you lose the other? If you don't see two elements, then I'll try to highlight the two that I see. If you do, what two elements do you identify?

I saw two elements, but I don't think them being representations of mind and body is what is essential to them (nor is it necessarily even accurate: what if there are two physical things that don't "go together", like ballet and wrestling?)

That's actually pretty neat. She's not your average Hollywood twit.

Maybe Danica Mc Kellar can help me check this math problem:

Brags about lending her voice to a very special episode of "Captain Planet and the Planeteers"

+

spends a day bagging groceries to "help the environment"

+

sang in the music video "Let It Be Earth Day Everyday"

=

average Hollywood twit.

"Body and lobotomy" ... :fool: That's gave me a good laugh.

Why do you refer to these as examples of integration of mind and body?
Art is often misunderstood to be a realm that defies intellectual analysis, and more the realm of feeling than of thinking. It's the thought versus emotion dichotomy. So, to see an actress doing math is an example of integration.

Now, I hardly know what Ms. McKellar is like in totality, so this does not mean that she is a good example of mind-body integration. I was referring just to these two aspects of her life. If we're going to explore mind-body further, we should probably do so in a separate thread. It would be interesting to explore wrestling vs. ballet too.

• 4 years later...