Objectivism Online Forum

US Should Have Welcomed Cuban Escapees

Rate this topic

Posted by ARImedia...

Dear Editor:

Sending back to Cuba the 15 Cuban escapees who landed last week on an abandoned bridge in the Florida Keys was like sending escaping Jews

back to Nazi Germany or escaping slaves back to the Southern plantations. Cuba is a brutal dictatorship based on the Marxist principle that individuals have no rights, that their lives are the state's to dispose of. As these refugees demonstrated, Cubans don't even have the right to leave the country.

The U.S. government should have given asylum to these Cuban refugees who risked their lives to live in freedom. The decision to send them back to the prison-island may be their death sentence. And our government should put an end to the unconscionable "wet-foot, dry-foot" policy that sends freedom-seeking refugees back to a totalitarian dictatorship.

David Holcberg

Ayn Rand Institute

Irvine, CA

Another thought. Overthrow Cuba!

This is one country that I think it would be in our interest to overthrow. It'd probably take a day. The country could be tacked on as a territory and Cubans would no longer have to risk their lives fleeing a repressive state in rickety rafts.

The refugees should be welcomed here as well, but I like the idea of inviting everyone except Castro and his buddies by simply tacking on the land.

It'd also have the fringe benefit of upsetting nutters in Hollywood. Not to mention we'd get all kinds of charges of imperialism thrown our way.

What's not to like?

We could call it Operation Commie Crush.

I love it when a plan comes together. :fool: