Objectivism Online Forum

A 'sympathetic Faculty Member' To Advise My Club

Rate this topic

Nxixcxk

I am going to try and start an Objectivism Club at my college. In order to be recognized by the college, I must have a faculty member as my Primary Advisor. So I asked the Chair and Associate Professor of Philosophy of the college if he would be interested. A few days later he replied by saying that he was looking for "a sympathetic faculty member" who might be interested.

I was immediately curious, mildly angry, and humorous. Why did he use the word "sympathetic" here? I laughed when I read it, and thought that he meant that he'd be hardpressed to find any Philosophy Faculty Member who agreed with Objectivism YET would still support my club with their own pity for my predicament.

Anyhow, thoughts on what one can infer from his use of the word 'sympathetic'?

(PS, I guess I'll go to the multiculturalism faculty, surely THEY will have sympathy for me :thumbsup: )

Edited by Nxixcxk

A few days later he replied by saying that he was looking for "a sympathetic faculty member" who might be interested.

sympathy: the quality of being affected by the affection of another. (Webster's dictionary, 1828)

The professor is looking for someone to help you after you asked him for the help. He dismissed helping you because he is not sympathetic to your views. He dismisses assisting you because he has no emotional concern for objectivism - evident by his selection of words and his actions.

The next time you talk to him, ask him if he found a non-subjective factulty member yet?

It could be a more practical issue, though.

Usually "official" campus clubs' sponsors must be somewhat acive in club meetings, activities, and take some measure of responsibility for the clubs' activities. Or, perhaps he's only interested in a club that would be run by one of his grad students, or at least a favored, talented undergraduate major in philosophy. Maybe he's comfortable with his tenure, and wants no other distractions.

Then again, he could indeed have philosophical objections to your idea for an Objectivist club.

Try your school's business faculty. Perhaps there's a capitalist or two that would be willing to help ... :thumbsup:

sympathy: the quality of being affected by the affection of another. (Webster's dictionary, 1828)

This isn't really what "sympathetic" means in philosophical circles. It's more along the lines of meaning "having some interest in" or "not wholly opposed to." softwareNerd is right, don't read too much into it. It doesn't have the same connotation of pity that it has in everday usage, so don't take it to heart. All it means is that he'll try to find a professor who is open to having his name associated with Objectivism.

Depending on the size and makeup of your school's philosophy department, he may or may not succeed; for a philosophy professor, having one's name associated with any philosophy has a certain professional connotation, so it may be difficult if your school's department is hostile or unaccepting toward Objectivism. If you aren't able to find a philosophy professor to do it, just ask any other professor that likes you. A faculty advisor usually doesn't do anything other than sign the paperwork to give your club credibility, so it's not necessary that they really know anything about philosophy. My club's advisor is an adjunct English professor, and she was eager to take the advisory position because association with Objectivism holds no professional implications for her, but adding "Faculty Advisor" to her resume certainly does.

We got our faculty adviser from the economics department, here at FSU. He is a hardcore free markets advocate, and it is very enjoyable conversing with him. Even though I like many professors in the philosophy department, I dont think any of them would have been as well-suited as the economics professor.